R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 It's wet in the boot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM
alconk
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
It's wet in the boot?

I noticed when I first bought this car it has a small amount of water in the bottom battery box. I dries it throughly and drilled a small hole in the center just incase. Well I noticed the other day I lifted the rear carpet and up by the rear seat the foam was wet. This car does have the sunroof but were there a known problem for this? Or maybe it was still wet from a month ago and didn't check it??

Old 12-20-2018, 11:53 AM
alconk
4th Gear
Well we had a rain last night and unfortunately I have water back there and the foam is wet again so there is definitely a leak somewhere. Leaks are hard to track down where should I start looking?

Old 12-21-2018, 01:20 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
There are four drains for the sunroof that could detach or get blocked. To check the rear two open the hatch and dribble some water into the seams along the sunroof. The water should drain from two rubber grommets up near the corners of the rear hatch opening then down the channel between the hatch and body . If nothing comes out they are blocked. For the front you can look just forward of the hinge opening down below the front of the rocker panels. Water should drain out onto the ground there too.

If nothing is blocked you'll probably need to pull the headliner down some to see if the drain tubes have separated. People have used small clamps or zipties to reattach the lines. You should be able to search to find photos of those fixes.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-21-2018, 05:52 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Well I found the leak and had to remove the bumper cover find it. Turns out the water was coming in from the relief vents on the passenger side. I had removed the interior panels and had my wife run water over the car. No water was coming in so with the panels out I took the car for a drive and sure enough it was being sucked in around the seal of the plastic relief vent. Pulled it off the car and you could see where the gasket was wet. Pulled the gasket off dried everything and applied silicone to the gasket then reinstalled everything. Did the same thing, water then drive and now dry.