R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Xenon Headlight Problems need fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:36 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenon Headlight Problems need fix

Hi guys!
I recently bought a 2006 S Checkmate… (Xenon Facelift Headlights)
I just became aware that the previos owner (due to accident repair I assume) had replaced the Xenon bulbs with some after market cheap LED bulb.
At night I can barely see 10 feet in front of me with these bulbs (yes I do have some light adjustments to make but after tweaking there's just no hope for these bulbs)
The Original Ballast and Igniters are also GONE!

So... outside of spending like $1K on ORIGINAL Ballasts, Igniters and D2S 35W bulbs…
What other proven path can I take?
Should I just buy some aftermarket Ballast/Igniter/bulb set? and if so which would be recommended and what wattage? Could I go 55W? The roads here in PR are not very lit if at all and even less now after Hurricanes have tilted this island.

I cant seem to find and power connectors (plugs) for the original ballast, I think this guy cut and rewired for the LED, have to get a closer look to be sure.
Maybe I will remove a Headlight and take some pics this weekend.

While I'm here I might just as well replace the High Beams bulb with some better quality ( I usually use Silver Star Ultras on most my vehicles) I think would be a good for High beam and while visiting the Sylvanias site I saw these ZEVO LED FOG lights, dont know what to make of them?

Can I get some suggestions on my XENON problem? I really need a powerful solution for these dark roads! THANKS!

Old 12-09-2018, 01:34 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
It doesnt surprise me that the LED's didnt work well for you. I've yet to see any LED, as a stock bulb replacement, that outperformed an HID....Including some of the newer XHP70's.

If they installed just a D2S led substitute bulb into your light housings that started life as factory HID's... the best bet, IMO, would be to go with a good quality D2S aftermarket kit in the factory xenon/HID assemblies.... should be easy to wire up... Plenty of choices on the market.

Putting HID's back into your housings that were designed for just this very bulb.

One of my pet-peeves, people who run brighter than legal bulbs in their low beam positions...Like running a D2S 55 watt in the low beam...ARGH!

Sure... If you want to install AUX lights or even higher output High beams ...cool, Especially if your ALWAYS turn them off for oncoming or when following in traffic.

On the low end of the price spectrum... I've had good luck with the OPT7 kits in terms of price/value/quality
http://a.co/d/eABTo5h

If you are just looking for good light output... get some standard halogen complete headlight assemblies... and run good bulbs like the Ultras in both positions.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:09 AM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Thanks!
I found 35 watt ULTRA HID KIT with CanBus compatibility using D2S bulbs at 4500K color for $121 at DDMTUNING

With "Confirmed Fitment" for MINI & BMW (for whatever that's worth)

I'm going to give that a try cant beat the price and features.

Last edited by SiRaDuDe; 12-10-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
The OPT7 is on sale on their website....

The AC kits are better than the DC kits... plus, canbus compatible.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mountainhorse
The OPT7 is on sale on their website....

The AC kits are better than the DC kits... plus, canbus compatible.

Let me check that out...

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Im navigating the OPT7 page and the KIT that states CANBUS Pro does NOT have a D2S bulb option.
Having a hard time navigating this page with so many produtcs.

I'm looking for a D2S bulb (so it fits original projector and design), CanBus compatibility to reduce posible error codes, and good lighting performance at about 4500K (5000K max) don't like blue.

Finished navigating their site, Looks like a great product but... only 2 or 3 products have the D2S bulb option and those are not CanBus, end even those ONLY come in 10,000K color for 2DS (DEEP BLUE) with I don't like.
So I'm afraid they just don't have the product I need, They have GREAT upgrade kits, but in my case Im not UPGRADING Im replacing elements of an existing HID housing wit takes D2S Bulbs
(don't really know if other bulbs would fit within housing and cover, not that knowledgeable on this topic)

Last edited by SiRaDuDe; 12-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
The only ones I see are the 55w units... I'm interested myself in their stuff... so I just sent them an email.

What I want is a Canbus "Boltzen", 35w, 5000K, D2S

I'll see if they reply and repost that info here.

Cheers !

The following users liked this post:
SiRaDuDe (12-10-2018)