R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Stock LSD - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 06:08 AM
geauxturbo
2nd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Stock LSD - What is it?

Is the LSD in the 2006 MCS a clutch pack type or geared LSD? Do they wear and require maintenance or is it more along the lines of it works or it doesn't work. Reason I'm asking is I was getting on the power nice and early coming out of some sweepers at autocross and it feels like the inside tire is spinning up. Guy riding with me who has been autocrossing for a decade or more mentioned he also felt like it was struggling to get the power down coming out of the corners.

I have the original window sticker to the car and it came with an LSD. Also, when I launch it, seems to pull just fine with both tires. Its when I'm coming out of a corner and on throttle that it feels like I'm have a fair amount of wheel spin. Runing Falken Azenis RT660s.

I can't have these Civic Type Rs and Focus RS's thinking they can hang with Sly....so I need to get a handle on this with a quickness

Old 03-28-2022, 07:13 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

A good read,
here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-from-gnk.html

Relevant excerpt from the GKN rep:

Thanks for your recent enquiry on GKN's website and nice to hear good things about our 'SuperLSD'.

The design life for the differential is equal to that of the vehicle - call it 150,000 miles - but that depends on usage and maintenance.

The main wear related effects will be a gradual drop-off in torque biasing capability (called 'TBR') and an inevitable increase in the propensity to make noise when working hard. These two aspects are common for all torque biasing LSDs irrespective of the mechanical layout of the LSD or it's manufacturer.

The TBR of the SuperLSD that you have fitted into your Mini is in the range 1.8 to 2. As you say it is noticeable enough to be useful, but does not introduce the issues related to high TBR devices in front wheel drive vehicles. I tested two Mini's back to back on a frozen Swedish lake a couple of years ago and the LSD equipped vehicle had better traction (obviously), but more importantly was much more settled backing off the throttle into bends. It was easier to drive quickly that the open differential car.

Since it sounds like you are an enthusiast you need to pay attention to maintenance. I would recommend that you keep a close eye on the level and condition of your transmission fluid. Always use the BMW recommended fluid, since it was developed for this application. An expensive aftermarket fluid might work just as well, but it may also have dire consequences for your seals, bearings, gears or the LSD. It may also affect your shift quality. Be vigilant for noise during split mu launches or repetitive hard cornering. The differential is not being damaged, but the fluid is being overworked and overheated and hence the potential need to renew it.

Hopefully I have addressed your question.

The following 4 users liked this post by Oldboy Speedwell:
geauxturbo (03-29-2022), HaltCatchFire (03-29-2022), MCS4FUN (03-28-2022), megaDan (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:22 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
30 % lockup similar to other lsd . Needs load to work, I have seen them worn out and I've seen the tabs broken off

The following users liked this post:
geauxturbo (03-29-2022)