R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 milltek is coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:58 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Having received two sets of the Milltek cat back with the same flange on the long main pipe segment have the same off-square made me suspicious. I got up at 2:30 AM to call Milltek in UK. The person the phone said he is not technical and asked that I get a photo of the ID tag of the part in question, and he will relay the issue to the right person. The ID tag is the small welded on stainless steel plate with part markings. Every piece of the Milltek kit has a unique ID tag with "Made in England" etched on it.

I went back to bed after making sure Leigh has everything he need to follow up. By the morning Leigh has reply with the answer with an email. It as sent within a few hours of our last correspondence. I was impressed with their responsiveness.

He had checked with their production team who checked their master pattern, and the off-square angle of the flange is apparently normal, which I interpret it is as per designed.

The next day I decided to go ahead and give the installation a try to see if everything "square up". My original hangup was the ~7 degree of offset angle will skew the main pipe to one side instead of well center in the exhaust tunnel, and possible push the O2 sensor against the aluminum heat shield.

It turned out the ~7 degree offset is mainly vertical component, with no measurable horizontal component. Being only vertical component it is absorbed by the stock header's flex joint. I was able to reuse the stock gasket that consist of a ~1mm thick stainless steel sheet metal. When all the joints (there are 3 in total) are properly tightened the long main pipe sits perfectly center in the exhaust tonnel. It is also horizontally true as well as long as all the exhaust shock-mount hangers are in good condition.

My other hangup on the Milltek's hanger bars lacking the nubs turned out to be immaterial, as least with my specific unit. Once the three joints are properly tightened the muffler assembly is rock solid with respect to the Mini undercarriage. If I grab onto the tail pipes with my hands I cannot wiggle them in any direction due to the excellent (6 point support) hanger systems of our Mini.

I suspect Milltek chose to not adhere to the interface boundary (maintain a perpendicular plane of the flange) of the stock header was done to accommodate their own header, for whatever reason. To this accept as the cause of my original concern. Now seeing the installation result I am satisfy that it is an excellent product I retract my charge of shoddy workmanship.

I chose the Milltek over other competitions because of the one-piece muffler assembly design, country of origin, and price. Seeing how driving on track can beat up an exhaust system I did not want the Borla that has too many joints. The Stratmosphere appears to be very high quality, and most alike the Milltek and with the nubs on the hanger bars. It is however priced much higher. In all I am now quite pleased with my purchase.
I'm glad everything worked out. Do you have pictures of the joint connected to the CAT?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
flange joints

Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I'm glad everything worked out. Do you have pictures of the joint connected to the CAT?
I did not take photo of the front flange joint. It mates tight with stock 1mm all steel gasket so there is nothing to see there. The stock header just had to unbend that slight angle vertically to absorb this angular difference.

I was concern with the rear flange joint and prepare to widen the heat shield there to gain more clearance. It turns out I didn't need to.

I think Milltek did not designed in this slight tilt without a very good reason. If you look closer at their product photos you can see the long pipe flange do have the slight tilt.

I think they did this to accommodate their header which is reported to only header with a high quality German cat. They engineer must deem this bend necessary on how their header to fit the best it can without exceed the bending range of their flex joint, taking into account the max engine rocking range.

When shopping for a performance header, most people would overlook a detail. It is if the feeder pipes would all be shielded by the stock heat shield that attached to the cylinder head. From this photo I can tell the Milltek does, but not a lot of other headers that I have browsed.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
That's great news on the outcome. Let us hear what the new exhaust sounds like once you've properly broken it in.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
That's good news! The exhaust, when broken in, should sound very good.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Zsm
That's great news on the outcome. Let us hear what the new exhaust sounds like once you've properly broken it in.
I already posted in my other thread. It has a bit of hard acceleration but I didn't want to have the Mini impounded. Yes. Poor Mini was impounded when I argued with reasons with a cop who was on a power trip once.

the clicking sound is due to the iPhone being loose in the hard plastic cradle

I plan to write about the installation soon.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
That's good news! The exhaust, when broken in, should sound very good.
Thanks ECS for working with me. I shipped the other set back to you per RMA issued. I only took out the long pipe to compare the flange angle. I was going to cherry pick a few pieces should the muffler section didn't fit well but I didn't need to.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
yep, sounds good, I like the burples in that video.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172