R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Looking at an '03 R53 today, need feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:06 PM
BumpDaddy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooling fan replaced, new motor mount, all fluids changed, and fully detailed! Turned out nice.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:01 AM
MINIKB
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
You got a very good deal and what appears to be a very nice car. -It looks great.

We are the original owners of a 2002 MCS with now 55K miles and have not slightly experienced what everyone is talking about pre 2005 cars.

Over the years, drivers side window motor went bad, thermostat housing leaked and MINI replaced the power steering fan under last year's recall. The rest is all preventative maintenance.

Now, she has been maintained to the highest standards but still on original suspension, clutch & etc.

One thing, I wold highly recommend is switching to 16" wheels with non runflat tires as they make a big difference. If you choose to keep what you have, get some shock tower braces to prevent mushrooming.

Congrats!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
That cleaned up well. Where are you located?

Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I may be late to the game but I had a high speed fan issue with my '07 R52. The high speed fan would kick on immediately when the A/C was turned on. I never had any overheating issue however.

Turns out I needed a new battery. My battery would only get to a 60% charge and the alternator would constantly run in charge mode and that would run the high speed fan.

New battery = happy alternator = happy MINI.

Enjoy the new car.

The following users liked this post:
BumpDaddy (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 AM
BumpDaddy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIKB
You got a very good deal and what appears to be a very nice car. -It looks great.

We are the original owners of a 2002 MCS with now 55K miles and have not slightly experienced what everyone is talking about pre 2005 cars.

Over the years, drivers side window motor went bad, thermostat housing leaked and MINI replaced the power steering fan under last year's recall. The rest is all preventative maintenance.

Now, she has been maintained to the highest standards but still on original suspension, clutch & etc.

One thing, I wold highly recommend is switching to 16" wheels with non runflat tires as they make a big difference. If you choose to keep what you have, get some shock tower braces to prevent mushrooming.

Congrats!
That is very good to hear. I had the power steering fan replaced as well, and my passenger side window motor is bad too. I saw a video on you tube of owners "pounding" the door with their fists right below the pull handle. It actually works, but only for a few days, then gets stuck again, so a new regulator and motor is on the list.

The tires were replaced by the seller 1 week before I bought it. They are non-run flats. I've heard about the "mushrooming" and I think I've settled on the M7 Strut Tower Brace because it claims to help with the handling AND the mushrooming issue. So that's on the list too!

Thanks again for your feedback!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:07 AM
BumpDaddy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CSP
That cleaned up well. Where are you located?
I see that you're listed in Chicago - I'm near Gurnee, IL. Very interested in getting involved again with SCCA and doing some track days. Let me know if you have any info/recommendations.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
The power steering fan and pump should be covered under a factory recall if it hasn't already been done. Since the fan is seized, it may not have been done. It also could just have grit in it. Take off the two bolts, unhook the wire and shake it out. My 2005 started to make a god-awful grinding sound every time it came on. Spent $100 on a new fan. I took the old one off and put the new one on. After that, I examined the old one. The fan was just full of little rocks and such and the fan barely moved. Shook out the grit; took the wires from the new one and hooked up the old one... worked perfectly. So, now I have an extra one just incase.

The following users liked this post:
BumpDaddy (08-18-2017)