R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Failed Brake Fluid Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Moose19
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Brake Fluid Reservoir

Hey there NAM - First Post !

Happy to be on the forums, I think I'll be spending a lot of time here in the coming months(years)! That said, please forgive any ignorance and lack of knowledge- quite the learning curve! I recently bought a 2003 R53 with about 80,000 miles on the clock for my first car and I'm pretty proud of myself, so I figured I should take care of some routine maintenance. Took the mini into my mechanic to get my fluids flushed and replaced, just to know that they're taken care of, and my guy comes to me within ten minutes telling me I won't actually be driving out of there that day. Apparently he gave the brake reservoir about 15psi and the whole thing busted, chocked it up to old plastic. I trust him, but I was just wondering if this was a common thing to have happen with a mini about that old.

Thanks for any info!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
I've not read (here or elsewhere) of that happening.

Using my pressure bleeder at the standard 15psi, I just replaced the brake fluid on my '04 (133,000 miles on the clock) a couple weeks ago without issue.

Perhaps he was a bit heavy-handed in screwing on the bleeder fitting, or maybe he used more than the appropriate amount of pressure? Mistakes do happen.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:34 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Here is a recent thread on a similar issue. Did you see the bottle as you will note one response where the guy says he always ties the bottle down before he pressurizes.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-screwup.html