R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 05 r50 6 speed swap weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM
carcrazy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 r50 6 speed swap weird problem

​​​Hello everyone, first post here. So, I just completed a 6 speed swap on my r50 and I was driving it the other day and went over a small bump and heard a clunk then a little bit later every gear became neutral. So I get the car towed back and up on stands and come to find out the the passenger side axle has pushed out of the inner race of the carrier bearing and out of the trans enough so that the open diff just spins. Now I'm sure I can fix this, but my main concern is has anyone had/heard of this happening? Does anyone know what might have caused it in the first place? I really can't figure out why the axle would pop out like it did cause the bearing is a press fit and there really shouldn't be any force pushing it out... I really just don't want to be at my first autocross and push another axle out of the trans.

Many thanks,
Nathaniel

​​​​​​ Axle pushed out of carrier bearing.
Where the axle came out of the trans enough to disengage.
You can see the shinny part where the axle moved.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Looking at your pics you have the correct bearing bracket, but the axle must not be right as it is coming up too short.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more