Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New fuel pump and still won't start? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM
TheBlur
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New fuel pump and still won't start? Help!

Ok I've been having a no start issue for about a week. After some research & talking to a few people I got under the impression that it may be my fuel pump that went out. I have a new battery in so I know that's good. I do a pressure test at the fuel rail & get zero pressure. So I think ok must be the fuel pump! I double check the fuel pump fuse & relay both good! Cycled the keys to listen for the pump to prime & didn't hear nothing. So I buy a new pump and install it. Cycled the keys after the new pump in & heard the new pump prime! Start the car & it starts!!!! But after a minute of celebration the car starts to idle rough & dies out! My stomach drops at this point! I go to start it back up & no luck! Can't get it to get ignition again! No prime when cycling the keys anymore either? Is my new pump bad now? I'm usually a DIY'r but now I feel dumb & think I need to take it to a mechanic 😒 If there is anyone out there who has had the same issue starting after a new pump please let me know!

Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Have you started with the simple double checking of your pump install? maybe you didn't get the wiring harness together all the way, and when it started it vibrated apart?

If every thing is connected properly, I'd see if you can test the pump to make sure it works and you didn't get a bad pump, and check the wiring with a meter to make sure that you're getting proper voltage to the plug for the pump.

I think it's somewhat common to have trouble installing a fuel pump, but I want to say that it's usually the O-ring getting shredded, which I think would still let it start, but would leak gas. You might check that too though.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
also check out this thread, it might be helpful. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tart-help.html

Old 02-18-2017, 02:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
Yeah, I remember last time I installed a new fuel filter, if the cover and gasket isn't seated properly, it won't start.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Open back up the tank and make sure the line didn't come off the pump inside the tank.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-20-2017, 12:53 PM
TheBlur
1st Gear
I double checked the fuel pump & filter. Everything is where it's supposed to be. Still no luck. I'm towing it to a mechanic today. This thing gots me stumped. I'll report back with the news hopefully it's not to expensive! Fingers crossed!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Banochris
1st Gear
TheBlur.. Dod you get resolved yet?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM
TheBlur
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Banochris
TheBlur.. Dod you get resolved yet?
I actually did sorry for not getting back in a timely manner. I turned out the new pump I had installed was also bad so it took another pump, on warranty of course, but a wired thing when installing the second new pump it fried to sets of fuses then started working? I've done 1500mi on the new pump & so far no problems. Now if I can only tackle my oil leak lol 🤣 Got to live our minis!

Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Banochris
1st Gear
Hopefull

Well I think I found it... I took the fuel pump out and found the little flexible hose that I'm guessing goes to the fuel filter, was severed. Deductive reasoning would indicate an existing split i the lie and when I put the ring back on the fuel filter, the vibration was just enough to finish the job. The new pump is on the way, but it would be nice If I could get just the replacement hose.. Anyone got any ideas? __ MAHALO for all the help so far.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Banochris
1st Gear
Fixed

So the new fuel pump fixed the problem.
As you can see the internal hose that connects the pump to the filter is severed. That'll do it every time..
Thank for all the help!!
Mini Fuel pump hose1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails New fuel pump and still won't start? Help!-mini-fuel-pump-hose1.jpg