R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Squeaky front strut mount?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Squeaky front strut mount?

I just got finished up with my clutch install....and everything works great

Except......now I have an annoying squeak coming from the drivers side upper strut mount when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. It wasn't squeaking before I did the clutch....and I didn't even touch the strut or the mount. It sounds like a rubber bushing creaking/squeaking......anyone else had this before? The upper strut mounts are only a year old, so it's not the bearings making the noise.

Should I just spray some WD-40 up under the strut on the bottom side...maybe the spring is rubbing on the mounting plate or something like that?

Any ideas?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:54 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah it happened to me last summer! Right as I was first drove it after finishing a big overhaul, it started creaking.

Did you perhaps lower the car a little harder than intended when you were wrapping up?

That's what I did! I have a crappy little jack that's hard to control the release valve on and I wasn't super careful when I was lowering it.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I don't think I let the car down and harder than it would see when hitting a bump on the road.

After I put a few miles on the car, the sound went away. And then this morning when I pulled the car out of the garage to go to work, I heard the squeak again. I'm guessing that there is something that is rubber up in the strut mount that is making the noise? I guess I will pull the front wheel off this morning and see what's causing the noise.

I think there is a rubber coated plate that the spring rests on...I wonder if that's what's making the noise.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:31 AM
Strutmonkey
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, there are many potential squeak points. Be sure to check the upper and lower spring pads at the same time. It could also be the lower strut mount washer, or the mount itself.
Good luck, Chris
www.strutmonkey.com

Old 12-15-2016, 10:18 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
What's the best way to keep the rubber spring mounts from creaking? Can I just spray some wd-40 between the pad and the spring? Like I said....it never made any noise until I jackets the car up to change my clutch...and then when I set the car back down....the noise is there. Didn't even mess with the strut or the mount. Very strange.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM
michi1201
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't ever use WD40 on any rubber product. It is petroleum based and would likely disintegrate rubber. Silicone spray or a tube of the gel should help with your noise. Never use it on windshield wipers, though. It makes the wipers smeary and ineffective.

Another possibility might be that with the car jacked up the spring cushion shifted position and things aren't properly lined up now.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by michi1201
I wouldn't ever use WD40 on any rubber product. It is petroleum based and would likely disintegrate rubber. Silicone spray or a tube of the gel should help with your noise. Never use it on windshield wipers, though. It makes the wipers smeary and ineffective.

Another possibility might be that with the car jacked up the spring cushion shifted position and things aren't properly lined up now.
Great, now mine is doing this. After hitting a pothole and cracking a rim I noticed it in the front passenger side. Also note that the noise is most prevalent while temperature are under 50 F.

Looks like I'll be taking these charges to the state DOT.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley
Great, now mine is doing this. After hitting a pothole and cracking a rim I noticed it in the front passenger side. Also note that the noise is most prevalent while temperature are under 50 F.

Looks like I'll be taking these charges to the state DOT.
Mine does it when it's cold also. Must have something to do with the rubber spring mount. I'm going to pull my wheel off this weekend and see if I can narrow down where it's coming from. I don't think it's a big issue....just annoying. I don't like my car making noises it's not supposed to.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:28 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would like to add even being a new old mini owner. I get the old sailing tall ship creek when making sharper turns than normal. I believe it was coming from the strut bearings as well under cold cooler temps only...going to go after this when spring comes back around....

Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The bearings in the strut mounts should not be making any noise regardless of temperature unless they are on their way out.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sherman89
The bearings in the strut mounts should not be making any noise regardless of temperature unless they are on their way out.
Its not a bad bearing noise....its a rubber on metal creaky, squeaking noise.....

Old 12-17-2016, 04:03 PM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That will be the spring to rubber on the shock tower, my Mini lives in Florida so you will have to consult with others that live in winter.

Search this Thread