R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 GTT Ram Air Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTT Ram Air Cold Air Intake

I finally got and installed my GTT Cold Air Ram Intake today! Very happy with it. I also installed a big air modified cowel, I didn't feel like cutting.

Overall everything was very easy to do. I'm very happy with the look, sound, and performance!

My only complaint is the open ended cylindrical filter. The little foam piece really doesn't provide much filtration and I feel it will allow too much particulate through. I will be upgrading to an Amsoil Conical style filter very soon.

There she is.

Springs hold the filter in place.

The foam end cap. Since the filter is open all the way through and this is the only filtration provided from the end, i will be upgrading the filter soon.

Before install with old CAI.

Old i dont even know the brand CAI

Old and new cowling. Big hole for more cold air.

Newly installed!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
nice, ive never seen that cai.... definently not ram air tho, if that's what they were hinting towards the name. also have not seen a filter style like that with the springs. and your old cai, those style filters are coming to dirtbikes now. spider something....

Old 05-10-2016, 05:23 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
nice, ive never seen that cai.... definently not ram air tho, if that's what they were hinting towards the name. also have not seen a filter style like that with the springs. and your old cai, those style filters are coming to dirtbikes now. spider something....
Yeah, I'm still wondering about the "Ram air" myself...here is the description on their site, I think they are referring more to the pipe on the inside of the filter.

"True 360 degree rolled edge (CNC turned from solid) Ram-Pipe. This is expensive to produce and quite unique as other companies (if they even use a Ram Pipe at all!) use a ‘spun alloy’ ram-pipe that will always have an ‘undercut’ lip which cannot allow air to be drawn in from behind the pipe. This is as a poor substitute for a true machined fully round section lip. Our Ram-Pipe will pull air from all directions including behind the pipe, avoiding undesirable air currents at the trumpet entrance. Notice also the Ram Pipe entrance is positioned well out into the air box, if it were flat against the air box face it could never draw in air from the rear! By comparison a round hole at one end of the air box is about as bad as it gets, we know as we’ve tested them on a flow bench!"

Also, I'm not really sure about it now, there is a fairly large gap between the bottom rear of the new airbox and the factory airbox bottom, and the cowl. I'm talking with the company now about this...

Attached Thumbnails GTT Ram Air Cold Air Intake-gap-in-airbox.jpg  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:08 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
that is quite a large gap, my alta one sits preety good against the lower box, but where it connects to the fire wall there a space where I can get 2 fingers through. all in all Im not worried about it, the air filling the void will take the path of leaste resistance which would be through the cowl

Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
that is quite a large gap, my alta one sits preety good against the lower box, but where it connects to the fire wall there a space where I can get 2 fingers through. all in all Im not worried about it, the air filling the void will take the path of leaste resistance which would be through the cowl

Yeah, I'm going to get in there again today and see if I can bend it some and make it a little better. However, I'm a bit like you, the air coming in through the cowl is going to kind of keep the air from the engine bay out.

I may eventually throw some weather stripping around it.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice installation job!

Old 05-10-2016, 02:53 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Thats a rare intake system, congrats. I have only seen a handful of those.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172