R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Power Steering Pump - Electric System Pulsing

Old 03-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Ygritte
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump - Electric System Pulsing

Hi all,

I installed a new power steering pump & fan about 6 months ago. Since then, my 06' Base MINI has acquired a pulsating effect in the electrical system. Every 3 or 4 seconds, the headlights momentarily dim, the dash lights dim, the engine loses ~200 rpms, and the power steering pump pulses. This happens while idling and on the highway, it always happens while the car is running.

Before I installed the new pump, the old pump just did a consistent "whine". Now it still does the "whine" but also kind of a heavy electrical "grunt" every 3 or 4 seconds. During this period, the voltage of the battery drops from 14.1 to 12.9.

To make sure, I unplugged the fuse for the power steering pump and fired it up again. Ran like a champ. No electrical pulses, and the rpms were a steady 1000 at idle. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I wouldn't imagine these pumps are meant to draw power in a pulsing manner.

The pump is OEM by the way.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ygritte
Hi all,

I installed a new power steering pump & fan about 6 months ago. Since then, my 06' Base MINI has acquired a pulsating effect in the electrical system. Every 3 or 4 seconds, the headlights momentarily dim, the dash lights dim, the engine loses ~200 rpms, and the power steering pump pulses. This happens while idling and on the highway, it always happens while the car is running.

Before I installed the new pump, the old pump just did a consistent "whine". Now it still does the "whine" but also kind of a heavy electrical "grunt" every 3 or 4 seconds. During this period, the voltage of the battery drops from 14.1 to 12.9.

To make sure, I unplugged the fuse for the power steering pump and fired it up again. Ran like a champ. No electrical pulses, and the rpms were a steady 1000 at idle. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I wouldn't imagine these pumps are meant to draw power in a pulsing manner.

Mine has had the high pitched whine since I bought it. I feel like it may be half normal. Maybe the recall will cover it even though it's been replaced?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:53 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
It sounds like possibly a faulty pump. What you can do to isolate the pump is to measure the amp draw by pulling the fuse out and then using a meter that goes up to the fuse rating or using an inductive amp reader around the positive wire at the pump. If the pump is bad it'll draw more amps. It shouldn't be near what the fuse is rated. I think somewhere around 10-20% less than what the fuse is rated at. It might also be a restriction in the power steering system. If all this happens while turning the wheel, there could be a ball joint or something that is binding up and making the p/s work harder.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 PM
JCdubGerm
2nd Gear
Either your battery is going bad or is the wrong battery or you got a bad pump.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:36 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
A few weeks ago my wife's car (Kia Optima) which also has electric power steering had the same symptoms you just mentioned. It turned out to be a bad battery.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM
2aftercannonball
Neutral
Originally Posted by Ygritte
Hi all,

What ended up being the issue? We have the same problem

Old 01-22-2019, 06:48 PM
2aftercannonball
Neutral
Update on our issue, the new pump was bad.