R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Another One Ball mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another One Ball mod Thread

this is a little different then most the other one ball mod posts.

My resonator has almost rusted in two.

Im not worried about the sound and from what i hear HP is minimal

I already have CAI and 15% pulley.

Is this going to effect the car in a good or bad way? will the sound drive me crazy after a while.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
i cant answer wether or not if youll like it,

but it wont hurt the car at all unless the mount is rusted and basically the flex pipe is holding the rest of the cat back, and that can just make you have to replace more exhaust and your cat

Old 05-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
i cant answer wether or not if youll like it,

but it wont hurt the car at all unless the mount is rusted and basically the flex pipe is holding the rest of the cat back, and that can just make you have to replace more exhaust and your cat
all the rust is located to the resonator so the one ball mod would take care of all the rust i would hope.

My question mainly will it effect the car in anyway negatively i know you can not say if I would like it just looking out for the car. has 120K on it and ive already put tons of $$$ into it.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jones424
all the rust is located to the resonator so the one ball mod would take care of all the rust i would hope.

My question mainly will it effect the car in anyway negatively i know you can not say if I would like it just looking out for the car. has 120K on it and ive already put tons of $$$ into it.
One tip....
The OUTER SHELL of the resonator is covered in a heatshield that can rust....and even fall off...
But the guts are stainless steel....
You can cut of off...one ball your car...
Change the exaust tone... Make a tiny bit more power....mostly a weight loss trick...
Not sure what harm would come of it....if you don't like the $50 mod....the part you modded is gonna get replaced anyway...so only risking the $50-100 you spend.....if it works you saved or delayed a $500-1000 purchase....
So "looking out for the car"..... If you are an OEM nut.... You will have harmed the "originality" of the car....not sure what else if it is done with a bit of skill....

Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
One tip....
The OUTER SHELL of the resonator is covered in a heatshield that can rust....and even fall off...
But the guts are stainless steel....
You can cut of off...one ball your car...
Change the exaust tone... Make a tiny bit more power....mostly a weight loss trick...
Not sure what harm would come of it....if you don't like the $50 mod....the part you modded is gonna get replaced anyway...so only risking the $50-100 you spend.....if it works you saved or delayed a $500-1000 purchase....
So "looking out for the car"..... If you are an OEM nut.... You will have harmed the "originality" of the car....not sure what else if it is done with a bit of skill....
Not at all an OEM nut. I love tinkering for improvement.

Ive tried reading as much as possible and they say it drops the back pressure and then adds a deceleration popping sound. some of the sound clicks sound good some not so much.

I just read the HIGHWAY DRONE thread sounds like tons love it then add it with headers down the way but just checking all my bases. one person also said made a huge vibration issue at idle with ac

I know none of you can tell me what i may individually experience making sure its the right move. the car sounds and functions fine but looks like its about to fall off.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
you shouldnt see any vibration from doing the oneball... not sure, maybe they hear the idle higher? could just be an engine mount

i doubt youll get any drone, most who do oneball for noise end up getting a whole different catback, you get a bit more noise, not anything close that screams down the road annoying everyone.

My magnaflow, which is considered one of the loudest catbacks is still nto loud enough in my ears haha

plenty of people run straight pipes, backpressure would only be an issue if you can from header back with a 3 inch pipe and no cat

the popping is always there, its programmed into the ECU, youll just be able to hear it slightly which alot of people have yet to hear it, but its supposed to be there.

but if your tinkering for improvement, i bet shortly youll cut out the other muffler and weld in aftermarket mufflers, my whole magnaflow weighs about 30 lb, the stock system is over 70, significant weight loss when you cut out one of the resonators but they still have alot of internal baffles and packing, only a true catback will allow some gains. the oneball basically just loses weight

Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jones424
Not at all an OEM nut. I love tinkering for improvement.

Ive tried reading as much as possible and they say it drops the back pressure and then adds a deceleration popping sound. some of the sound clicks sound good some not so much.

I just read the HIGHWAY DRONE thread sounds like tons love it then add it with headers down the way but just checking all my bases. one person also said made a huge vibration issue at idle with ac

I know none of you can tell me what i may individually experience making sure its the right move. the car sounds and functions fine but looks like its about to fall off.
If welded crooked.... Sure...but any change to a car is bad if done wrong....
It can hang crooked, or rub against the bumper, etc....but if the modifier adjusts the hangers, should be OK....
One more suggestion...if you EVER PLAN A HEADER....GET A NEW CATBACK....keeping a restive factory cat back is kinda crazy if you spend $$ on a header.....
The pop noise is added in the computer software....basicly a 2005+ item...some love it...some don't. But not really up to you if you have it....it is a software item based upon the year of the car (a good tuner could add/subtract it...custom tunes run $350+).
As for drone....some combo's are bad...stock a JCW have no drone....others varry based upon modds done to the car....and even the basic condition of it...let's face it...some diy installs are crap....so heat shield rattles, clanks, clunks, and "uneven hanging" are all risks if done wrong....

Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Suggestion....go out to the car...and just PEEL OFF the rusty heatsheld chunks that look like it is falling off....then just look closely for a real exaust leak...bet it is just the heatshield....

Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Suggestion....go out to the car...and just PEEL OFF the rusty heatsheld chunks that look like it is falling off....then just look closely for a real exaust leak...bet it is just the heatshield....
i did that and looked much better after but this is next to the inlet i couldn't feel anything coming out or hear it but can't be far off.

Attached Thumbnails Another One Ball mod Thread-photo.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
i cant imagine that wouldnt be far off! thats a nice hole haha

Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
i cant imagine that wouldnt be far off! thats a nice hole haha
ha! thanks for the encouragement.

really debating the one ball. just hate no turning back or spending 500+ on Cat back.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
or just have some glass packs welded in =)

Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
or just have some glass packs welded in =)
are we still talking about the same glass packs i had on my 97 s10 in high school? LOL?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
I would imagine so