R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 More Key programming help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM
SLee
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Key programming help needed!

I've been searching a while and havn't found out exactly how to possibly fix my key issue.

I just bought a 04 mini cooper and it only came with one key and the key itself will lock and unlock the doors and start the car however the buttons on the key do nothing, so I figure the battey could be dead in the fob but I tested it at the little key fob kiosk and it was picking up a signal. I still bought a new battery and swapped it out just in case and still no luck. Does anyone know the correct procedure on how to program the fob so the buttons will lock and unlock? I'm a little over 500 miles away from the nearest mini dealer and as much as I would love to take a little road trip in my Mini, my wife and kids however wouldnt be happy that im gone for a few days to get the key fob working.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Scott Lee

Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like your key has lost signal to the car or lets hope.

Try this.
1. Close all doors
2. Switch to first on position (first click in the ignition), switch back off and
remove the key.
3. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same
time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed
within 10 seconds.)
4. Release both buttons, The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful
initialization.
5. If additional keys need to be initiialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30
seconds
6. Switching the ignition to 1st position (first click) completes the
initialization.

if not youll be in the same boat I am and having to get a new fob and programmed by the dealer or through a computer using DIS.

Lets hope you can just reprogram with the above procedure.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 AM
SLee
Neutral
key issues

Yep tried that method a few hundred times and still no luck looks like I might have to check into option #2

Scott

Old 05-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SLee
Yep tried that method a few hundred times and still no luck looks like I might have to check into option #2

Scott
Yeah pretty crappy setup IMO.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
SLee
Neutral
Key issues

I stop down to the local locksmith yesterday and they had a tester to tell me if the key fob it self is sending a good signal and it passed. They have the ability to cut the key i need however they are not set up to chip them correctly. so its looking like i might have to contact a dealer for a set of keys

Scott Lee

Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SLee
I stop down to the local locksmith yesterday and they had a tester to tell me if the key fob it self is sending a good signal and it passed. They have the ability to cut the key i need however they are not set up to chip them correctly. so its looking like i might have to contact a dealer for a set of keys

Scott Lee
Dealer can mail you the keys....
you just must provide proof of ownership....
so a fax will be needed....check with more than one dealer..prices vary a bit.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:47 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You said the fob was tested as sending a good signal. Go here ( Remote guide ) for a reference to where you should be looking for the led, pull the key apart and see if the remote led lights up. If the key is sending a good signal and the led lights, I would try doing the following a few hundred more times before getting a new key:

Procedure #1.
1.) Unlock vehicle via central locking and close driver's and passenger's doors. (Central locking is the console switch under the radio)
2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key
3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)
4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.
5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds
6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

Procedure #2.
Key Initialization
If the BC1 rolling key code becomes out of step with the remote key, synchronization is required. The
synchronization procedure can be carried out in two ways:
1. Press either the remote key lock or unlock button four times in succession.
2. With the car unlocked, switch on the ignition briefly and then off and remove the key, now within 10-
seconds press the lock and unlock buttons in succession.
It is not necessary to synchronize all the keys together. As the key codes are stored in the BC1, the
synchronization procedure is simply aligning the rolling code in the BC1 to the individual key and will not
affect any additional keys

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by 04_Indi_Mini_S
Procedure #1.
1.) Unlock vehicle via central locking and close driver's and passenger's doors. (Central locking is the console switch under the radio)
2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key
3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)
4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.
5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds
6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization
That procedure has been posted twice in this thread, but it is only for the newer remote system with 3 button keys ('05-'06).

For '02-'04 MINI, the remote must be initialized by connecting the car to a computer (at a dealer or shop).

Edit: I see you pulled that information off a page on the website you linked. I believe the information is wrong.

Last edited by rkw; 05-30-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
I made the website 2 years ago and all of the info on it and can guarantee that it is not wrong. I have personally used the info to pair 5 remotes to Mini's. I don't know if you remember when I went through all of the trouble to get a remote working, but suffice it to say that it does work. You don't have to take my word for it, but there are several people on here that have PM'd me thanking me for putting the guide together and helping them to get their remotes working.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
That procedure works on a 02-04 MINI?

I'll take your word for it, but the remote system was updated in 7/2004 and I've attached pages from the official BMW WDS (Wiring Diagram System) that describe initialization procedures depending on whether production was before or after 7/2004.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Coupe up to 2004_07.pdf (50.2 KB, 729 views)
File Type: pdf
Coupe as of 2004_07.pdf (45.0 KB, 593 views)
The following users liked this post:
AKIndiMini (01-06-2021)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
I just looked at the pdf's. These are the same ones I reviewed when doing the coding 2 years ago. The first pdf is for 02-04's and is ONLY for the computer coding part of the system, it neglects the pairing part as it is the official Mini DIS procedure which comes from the coding section within DIS.

The stupid system Mini used made by Valeo on the 02-04's (to 08 in convertibles) causes all the confusion. For 02-04's you are correct that you have to attach to computer and code the key to the system in DIS or other software. BUT, you ALSO still have to use the pairing procedure I posted to get the remote to work with the system. There is no one or the other, you have to do both. Above where I supplied procedure #2, that is for a stock remote that has lost step with the system and needs to be reprogrammed.

The 05-06 remotes don't need the computer programming part, just the button pushing, key in and out etc. procedure.

The following users liked this post:
AKIndiMini (01-06-2021)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:14 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
When I was going through it all, the issue of semantics was a big problem since the 02-04 keys require both procedures to function. When I was writing the website up I was thinking, "If I say 'programming', am I talking about programming the key into the Mini computer, or about programming the key to step with the receiver. That is one of the reasons I made the guide with so many illustrations. It is much easier to see visually here...
Illustration

I have had that site up for 2 years and just noticed that I left out something which happens to be what I was just talking about above. The last part of that page should read:

For 2002-04 2 button remote keys, the blank needs to be cut to work with your ignition and locks, the transponder chip needs to be programmed in the EWS in order for the key to start the car, the remote needs to be programmed into the ZKE (BC1) AND the correct pairing procedure needs to be performed for the remote to communicate with the remote antenna.
For 2005-2006 (to 08 for convertibles) 3 button remote keys, the blank needs to be cut to work with your ignition and locks, the transponder chip needs to be programmed in the EWS in order for the key to start the car, and the correct pairing procedure needs to be performed for the remote to communicate with the remote antenna.

I will have to correct that.

Officially corrected...

Last edited by 04_Indi_Mini_S; 05-30-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't familiar with all of that information.

One small correction... all years of the R52 convertible (05-08) use the 3 button remote keys (I own an R52).

Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Haha, I meant to put the (up to 08 for convertibles) beside the 05-06 key part... uhhh.... stupid Mini key confusion. I will correct my correction, thanks for pointing that out.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:13 PM
SLee
Neutral
Indy I tried your method 15-20 times I'll keep trying just in case but still no luck at this time . I pulled the cover off and removed the board and the led lights up red when the buttons are pressed.

Scott

Old 05-31-2014, 03:42 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Another possibility is that the radio receiver in the headliner has stopped working. It is uncommon but has happened: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-receiver.html