R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 PT Cruiser ATTACK - courtesy of google

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Old 04-23-2004, 12:31 PM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is this: COMICAL!

Old 04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
sdanaher
4th Gear
I know.. made my day. I was searching for some "in-cabin" exhaust sound bites.. and somehow got there. Caught my attention.. well wroth my time :smile:

Old 04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Ah, who cares. The MINI would've gotten smoked by that guys PT Turbo anyway.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:41 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
>>http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...abin&hl=en

That is some interesting *****. I never really liked the looks of the PT much and have not thought much about it as competition but now it's on! I will be on the look out for one of those and we will see who's boss.

imho, having never diven or researched the PT it is a big POS! Oh well, too each his own.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:43 PM
sdanaher
4th Gear
I think i read sometime that the PT Cruiser GT has mid 6 0-60? I could be making that up.. a little google research should tell though.

either way, it isnt who would win that is funny... it is the thread (remembers me of a couple "who would win" threads around here months back)

Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
quickest hearse I ever seen

Old 04-23-2004, 12:46 PM
C4
Banned
I don't care about the PT Hearse either but the car has been pretty troublefree since introduction. The new convertible looks much better than the 5 door hearse.

Still, the PT is a Neon with a tall wagon body, so don't expect stellar handling. Besides if DCX would have done the PT right, this thing should have gotten a V6 or V8 HEMI powerplant with RWD....oh wait, that car is called the Dodge Magnum!

One car that will give us grief in the straightaways is the Neon SRT-4. But the MINI will lose them both in the twisties.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:59 PM
mini58
2nd Gear
PT Turbo GT w/HO engine does 0-60 in 7.0 sec. It's a bit faster than the S but not much. I actually think driver skill has a lot to do with it. The S is definitely quick but it's strength is obvioulsy the handling. There is no way a PT will keep up with an S in the twisties. The neon srt4 is another matter. It posted skidpad numbers equal to or better than the S and is faster.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:24 PM
BuckDodgers
2nd Gear
I've "toyed" with bad boys in Z-28s & Mach-1s and they can blow your doors off on a straightaway. But One guy in a TransAm tried to keep up with me on a curvy road and spun out, ended up in the front yard of a house. I went back to check on him and his rims looked like waded up aluminum foil. Then the other night I was behind a Z-28 with a kid in it ... loud pipes. I squeeled my tires behind him to get him to go. Curvy roads of course .... he over corrected in the first turn and damn near lost controll of the rear end on the second ... that;s when I said heck with it. No need for him to kill himself .... they can't take cornering. Stright line drag racing is boring ... who wants a car that is only fun going straight short distances?

Old 04-23-2004, 02:52 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
I know the owner of the black PT Cruiser that was on the cover of Moss Motors PT Cruiser Edition. Nice car, never had the chance to ride in it though.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny thread. I didn't know the PT guys were ricers in disguise! Besides, the PT Cruiser was yesterday's news.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:16 PM
lotsie
Banned
Ok this thread sounds like the pt thread. come on EVERYONE waves at the MINI ,who waves at pt's,echo owners

Old 04-23-2004, 05:13 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
They are taking their top of the line model from Chrysler. Our top of the line model is the Cooper Works. According to Road and Track, the PT Cruiser Turbo does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and quarter mile in 15.7 seconds. The JCW does 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and the quarter mile in 14.7. According to all the magazines the JCW will beat the PT Cruiser in handling through the slalom by 3mph or more, braking by 10 or more feet, gas mileage by 6 miles per gallon.

If the car is modded, well than that is a different story since we can all mod our cars as far as we want. So stage I this or stage 2 that doesn't mean anything. Stock for stock the JCW has significantly more performance than the PT Cruiser on all factors. The fact that there are a million PT Cruisers out there, make them also loose on the exclusivity side of things. While the Mini had a few glitches in the first year or two of manufacturing, the problems are becoming nearly non-existant. Not bad for a car that was built brand new on a lot of untested parts and platform in 2002. Whereas the PT Cruiser is mostly a conglomeration of parts widely used throughout Chrysler. The only thing it looses to it is on price, whereas the JCW stock is about $3,000 more than the PT Cruiser. About 12% more in price. The PT Cruiser is larger, but most of us bought the Mini because of it's small size. If I wanted a big and roomy car, I would have gotten a Suburban (or to be BMW politically correct and X5). The Mini is holding it's value much better than the PT Cruiser. I only lost about 10% of the purchase price of my MCS after 1 year and 25,000 miles. Much better than the PT Cruiser, which loses at least 33% of it's value. I personally don't like the looks of the PT Cruiser, but to each his own. I think the Mini far exceeds the PT Cruiser GT on numbers alone, everything else is subjective.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:51 PM
CirqueDeSoMini
2nd Gear
aren't PT motors the same as in the mini? or are they just built at the same plant....plus don't turbos shorten the maintanence schedule?...it's a P otato chip T ruck!

Old 04-23-2004, 06:01 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
I ahve driven PT cruisers, all kinds of them. For me it boils down to pleasure of driving. The PT is just another grocery hauler with retro styling. Not a bad ride, but very ordinary. The MINI is in a class of it's own.

03 MC CR/B. Rogue exhaust, Pipercross induction intake.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
C4
Banned
>>aren't PT motors the same as in the mini? or are they just built at the same plant....plus don't turbos shorten the maintanence schedule?...it's a P otato chip T ruck!

Actually, the ironies of life, the Export versions of the PT Cruiser and Chrysler Neon (Sold in Europe and elsewhere but North America) use the SAME exact TRITEC 1.6L 115HP engine found in our beloved Cooper model. After all, the TRITEC engine is built on a joint venture between Daimler-Chrysler and BMW in Parana, Brazil.

http://www.tritecmotors.com.br/english/tritec/whois.htm

The US/Canada versions of the PT Cruiser use a 2.4L Cyl engine and a Turbocharged version of same.The neon uses a 2.0L 4cyl engine and a Turbocharged version in the SRT-4 model.

The PT Cruiser is currently being built in Mexico.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:38 PM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
>>I ahve driven PT cruisers, *** kinds of them. For me it boils down to pleasure of driving. The PT is just another grocery hauler with retro styling. Not a bad ride, but very ordinary. The MINI is in a class of it's own.
>>

Woah, "*** kinds of them"? You don't type in dvorak do you? The L and the S keys are right next to eachother in dvorak and I make that kind of mistake all the time.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:43 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Good catch wrkn....... You just can't get good keyboard help anymore ops:

Old 04-23-2004, 08:41 PM
dvorak
1st Gear
Hey, I type in dvorak as well...hence the username.

I don't meet many people who even know what dvorak is.

Chet.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh, that was funny. Both that PT owner and the MINI owner he's talking about has issues. It's this kind of attitude that leads to street races and traffic accidents :evil: I hate when people think just because you turn away from a race makes you a wimp who can't back up what they say. How about not being stupid enough to put others in danger? As for PTs...who even cares?

Old 04-23-2004, 09:36 PM
RustyPaint
2nd Gear
>>Hey, I type in dvorak as well...hence the username.
>>
>>I don't meet many people who even know what dvorak is.
>>
>>Chet.

jdt G f;d h.soav a; ,dppeee Jmmmee ,solu vdt mar Z)

Old 04-23-2004, 09:53 PM
rfibanez
Banned
The PT cruiser is a sad sad vehicle

Its for girls and old people that think they're cool...whats so special about the "special edition" and "touring" PT cruisers? They all look the same!

Old 04-23-2004, 10:17 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
I find that thread hilarious! I don't know how anyone can find a PT Cruiser comfortable to drive, let alone think of it as any kind of 'performance' car... Granted, I've never driven one, but that's only because all I had to do was SIT in one to know that I wouldn't find it comfortable. The interior styling is clunky; the sightlines are terrible; the seats are uncomfortable; and it feels like a lumbering box on wheels when sitting in the driver's seat.

I found this comment particularly interesting:
A few weeks ago I encountered a Mini on a curvy mountain highway on the way to work. When he saw me in his mirror he really got on it and the game was afoot! I assume his car was heavily "leaned on" as I had to work really hard to stay with him. I wish I had gotten a chance to talk to him, but I had to turn off for work. It was the most fun I've had in a long time and I keep watching for him so we can play again and maybe compare notes on our toys.
If only the driver of the 'chasing' PT had any idea what he was saying! My guess is that the MINI driver was intentionally letting the PT keep up!

Old 04-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
I drove a PT once, it was a nice enough car to drive, and it looked kinda cool...but that's about it. It handled like the overly tall and top-heavy car it is, and it was pretty slow (at least the 150-hp version I drove was). Comparing a MINI to a PT is kinda like comparing apples to oranges, based on the 2-door hatchback and 4-door hatchback configurations, respectively. Now a MINI Cabrio vs. a PT Convertible might be a more valid comparison.

Quick Reply: R50/53 PT Cruiser ATTACK - courtesy of google