R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help! Persistent check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Persistent check engine light!

I own a 2003 Mini Cooper S. Second owner, bought it about 20 months ago with 15,000 miles on it, now has 50,000. Have had a lot of fun with it, and, it was a fantastic value, considering what I paid. Now, it's time to sell.

Here's the problem. About 2500 miles ago, the check engine, specifically, emissions light came on. Since then, it has been back to the dealer four times. Three times to one dealer, Mini of Fairfield County, CT., and once, just Friday, to Mini of Baltimore. (I spend a lot of time in Baltimore) The light is still on. I think it's quite obvious that these guys have no clue as to what the problem is, but, it has cost me over 600 dollars to find this out. The first time they reset some sort of computer software that was a recall issue, so, no charge. That lasted about 600 miles, and light back on. Second time, a pump of some sort was replaced (sorry I can't be more specific - tomorrow I will demand a detailed history of what was done). That cost me 400 dollars, and the light was on in 48 hours. Third time, some sort of escape valve was replaced, free of charge (out of embarrassment, by now). Light on in 24 hours. Fourth time, in Baltimore, gas cap replaced (duh, I could of done that) for about 175 dollars, and, not only light back on, but intermittent check gas cap light on. The dude in Baltimore, who wouldn't even let his manhood allow himself to call CT., because, of course, he knew better, also told me I needed 800 dollars of front suspension work, or I would crash and burn if I drove the thing any further. I calmly told him to concentrate on one thing at a time, please, before thinking of ways to rape my credit card. I don't think I will be calm with him tomorrow on the phone, because he was so confident he fixed this problem.

Here's why this is such a problem. I want to sell this car now. Not because of this issue, I just want a new car. But, this car is worthless with that light on. I just got it inspected, so, it's worthless to me, even, in ten months, unless this is fixed. Absolutely worthless. Zero, Zip.

So, what do you think is my next step? If you think of it, Mini can just throw up their hands and say, sorry, you're screwed, because this is a ten year old car, and they have no real legal obligation to fix it. But, they do have a reputation to preserve, right? I can at least do my word of mouth best to mess with them anywhere I can. But, that's getting ahead of the problem. I just want this car repaired. Who do I contact? Somebody high in Mini USA? BMW of America? Who? Could there be private mechanics out there specializing in Minis who may know better? How do I find that mechanic?

I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
Did any of the geniuses you've had look at it ask you what kind of fuel you are feeding your MINI? It could be as simple as running lower octane that needed or high levels of ethinol that is setting off the knock sensor which in turn wakes up the CEL. That knock sensor will only stand so much abuse and will need replaced which ain't cheap. (Spoken from experience, by the way).

Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Did any of the geniuses you've had look at it ask you what kind of fuel you are feeding your MINI? It could be as simple as running lower octane that needed or high levels of ethinol that is setting off the knock sensor which in turn wakes up the CEL. That knock sensor will only stand so much abuse and will need replaced which ain't cheap. (Spoken from experience, by the way).
I'm not sure what you're telling me. I should lower the octane of gas I pump in the car? Right now I'm pumping 93. Will this change fix my problem? Will it create others?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny Profane
I'm not sure what you're telling me. I should lower the octane of gas I pump in the car? Right now I'm pumping 93. Will this change fix my problem? Will it create others?
Whoa back horsie! If you are using top tier 93 octane that is exactly what you should be doing. If that is the case, then disregard my comment completely as my idea does not address the issue at all.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
You should not be out $600+ and still getting the CEL. Maybe they have still other simple gestures to go through before they get to the source. Due to age, the oxygen sensor, or even the catalytic converter, could be shot. A simple gesture and a re-set won't fix either of those.

How much of the $175 for the gas cap was for labor?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels

How much of the $175 for the gas cap was for labor?
About 140 dollars.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow... that is pure awful

Originally Posted by Benny Profane
About 140 dollars.
So 50k miles needing suspension work -- absolutely true. It needs to have the A-Arm bushings replaced, this is a fairly involved job and the best way is to drop the sub frame. The cost from an independent shop is $700 ish.

Gas cap from Bavarian Auto (I know because I ordered one today) is $28.90 shipped. My gas cap (the o-ring is cracked about every 1/4 inch all the way around the thing and I am getting code P0456 -- very small leak. They should be ashamed they charged you $140 to install this given its one bolt I think?

Do you even know what code you are getting -- did they tell you that?

Please stop going to the MINI dealer, as for MINI's reputation and needing to get this fixed -- won't hurt their reputation one bit. The car is out of warranty, they have no idea what kind of things you did to it to cause these issues (not saying you did anything).

There are a few reputable shops in the area between CT and MD -- I haven't been to Tyrolsport but from my VW days I have heard they do very good work.