R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Remote Key question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 02:39 AM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something is strange with this as my immobilizer chip must be on my board, not in the cover like his, as there is nothing in the front cover. Not sure if it is removable.

Last edited by jrmotorsports55; 02-05-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jrmotorsports55
Something is strange with this as my immobilizer chip must be on my board, not in the cover like his, as there is nothing in the front cover. Not sure if it is removable.
His immobilizer chip on the cover was the one in his non-remote key. In a remote key, the chip is attached to the circuit board (just a holder, not electrically connected). He swapped the chip in the eBay key with his own.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
The only thing that appears to be removable is the copper wire would part. Is that the immobilized?

Old 02-05-2019, 02:34 PM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
I just got back from autozone, and was able to test it, and the problem is with the unlock button, it does not send a signal. The lock and hatch buttons work. I’ll probably look for a used key, and swap switches on the boards.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
OK key gurus, I need help again. I ordered a used OEM remote key and was able to sync it to my keyless system, and it worked great. That’s when I thought that instead of swapping the bad switch between boards I’d just swap transponder chips. I carefully removed them from each board, and installed my stock one in to the new board. I went out to the car and tried to start it, nothing. I know I did not mix the chips up. I then reinstalled my chip back in to my original board, still nothing. Did I fry them transponder chip? Wondering if it has to keep a slight charge and removing it scrubbed it. Any ideas? Did I totally just mess this up? Only good thing is that from what I read, I can get a non remote key made and steal that chip to make this work if I have to.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
So, I’ve been messing with this, and researching RFID chips, and I don’t think the copper wound part is the complete chip, only the antenna, which I think is what is causing my issue. I unwound the one that came from my donor key, and it appears to just be a small magnet underneath. I think the actual chip is part of the board, and the coil wires on the antenna connect to it when mounted. For those that have converted non remote keys by popping off the antenna and installing a stand alone chip in it’s place, the stand alone chip is taking over for the board chip which no longer broadcasts its signal without an antenna. Just my theory based on my findings, but I am determined to make this work.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 AM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
OK, I now feel pretty comfortable in saying that I have proven my theory. I took the good remaining copper wound part and reinstalled it on my original circuit board, this time with the two wire ends contacting the metal holders at each end, low and behold, the key started the car. I did the same thing in the donor chip, it didn’t start the car. This solidified my thought that for the remote keys, the actual chip that has the code is in the board, and the coil wrapped part is just an antenna that connects to the actual chip. Bummer for me as now I have to swap the unlock switches between boards to fix mine, as well as glue the antenna back in and make sure it stays connected. Glad I figured this out.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:19 AM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
​​​​​​So, after properly reinstalling the RFID antenna, I started to mess with the broken unlock key. I tried to swap the two known working switches from the used key I bought, and it still does not work. I am starting to think it is a deeper issue and I need to throw in the towel on this remote. I think i’m going to order a new non remote key, and another $9 used remote key, and make a working remote key. I like the idea of this better than buying a new remote key as it is $100 cheaper, plus if the remote fails, I can always swap the contained RFID chip to another used board down the road, whereas the remote keys have the RFID built in and cannot be easily removed. Heading to the dealer tomorrow to place my order.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Old 02-17-2019, 06:21 PM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
Yes, someone reached out to me after posting this and sent me the info about the board. I know what part is the chip and has to be removed without affecting the charging circuit. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Petemat
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 mini key

[QUOTE=04_Indi_Mini_S;3634135]As promised, I said I would keep this thread up to date as I made progress. For the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out the process for coding the remote to the BC1 so I could see if my code cipher was correct. Thanks to info posted by rwk earlier in this thread (thankfully I went back and read it again after understanding more) I was able to get the 2 remotes I purchased off of Ebay to work. One was a Land Rover remote as described earlier in this thread, so I can confirm 100% that a working used remote from either a 02-04 Mini or 99-04 Land Rover Discovery II can be coded to the car with the correct barcode. I am putting together a guide for anyone that wants it. The guide explains all Mini keys 02-06 and what can and can't be done. It also includes a guide to deciphering the 6 digit code in the remote into your barcode. This whole process has been a 2+ month long ordeal and has taken me many hours (I got sucked in and had to see it to the end) between figuring out the cipher, installing all the software for trying the barcode, and figuring out the exact procedure for coding the remote to the car. I will be finishing it in the next week or so and be releasing it. At some point I will try to put this all in the how-to section. Thanks goes out to rkw for posting the stuff in post #16 that helped me finish this and my wife for putting up with me during this.
I am curious how many people on here are interested in the guide. If you are interested, let me know in this thread so I can see how many people this guide may help.
I have a 2002 r50 mini with one good key and would like to buy a second one. I would definitely be grateful for your guide and suggestions on key programmer to do transponder and wireless remote. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM
keimanr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to the author of
https://sites.google.com/site/minian...verremotekeys/
I was able to program an used remote bought from ebay in my '02 r53.
I did it via ISTA/D by the way and the excel file from this thread helped a lot, too.
Thank you

Old 03-24-2019, 05:08 AM
jrmotorsports55
1st Gear
So, just an update, I quit trying to dissect OEM used remove fobs, and bought a A/M flip key fob off of ebay and also bout an OEM non remote key to get the RFID chip. The ebay flip key came cut for my car and works great with the OEM RFID chip installed. I now have one OEM remote key and one flip key with remote. Only issue I have is that when using the flip key, when I slow down and start moving again the doors lock/unlock (it did this when using the non-remote OEM key as well, so it's related to the RFID chip and from searching, is a common issue). Looking in to options to get the auto-lock feature turned off.

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (12-30-2020)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:44 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
It strikes me that all this time and effort is a lot to save a few dollars on a new key. I know they are expensive, but so is time and stress.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm reviving this thread from the dead to say wow and thank you to everyone who utilized the info I put together for their gain. I had long since forgotten about this all until I was going through paperwork last week, came across my old login, and was curious what ever came of the subject. The last I looked at the page count on the website it was at 14k views and that was in 2016 so I'm sure it would be much more now. I abandoned the Mini scene and this account in early 2014 after getting fed up with the constant maintenance needed on my Mini. It was a great car and I (Obviously) spent a ton of time doing things to it but it became too much for my care. I had several people leave me PM's on here which I never saw because I wasn't logging into my account. Thanks for the kind words left by everyone who was successful in getting their keys to work, it is why I put the info out there. I wasn't out for monetary gain and some people didn't get why I spent so much time on the issue. The money didn't matter to me, I wasn't going to become rich and preferred helping others with the issue if I could. As far as the amount of time I put into it, I stated in my telling of the story that I started down the path of seeing if it was possible and after getting so far into it I set out to finish what I started. It is my nature to go to great lengths to prove a point or finish a thing, but had I known how much time I would eventually put into it I might not have done it, hindsight is 20/20 after all.

The following users liked this post:
keimanr (12-07-2022)