R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To sell, or not to sell?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 AM
G0LDENDOMER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sell, or not to sell?

My '03 MCS is about to turn 100k. I've replaced the supercharger, water pump, suspension, brakes, wheels, lights, fluids, EVERYTHING. I drive it every day to school at work, and I just can't imagine driving anything else. The problem is, it always feels like there is more that can go wrong with this car. Does anyone have some helpful advice, wisdom, or recommendations? I already listed the car on autotrader, but I'm secretly dreading the first call or email from someone looking to buy it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like it's in good shape now! I'd hang onto it, save a little money every month for the "just in case" fund. It'll still be cheaper than taking on payments on a new car.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not intending to sound dire, but wait until you have to replace the clutch, or transmission, or rebuild the engine...these cars aren't engineered to last forever..I kept telling myself that this last major repair was going to be the one where I sold my '05 MCS but then I'd drive it for a few months..I would start to feel it was reliable and how much fun it was to drive it...and then something else would break. And the repair HAD to be done in order to sell it, so it's not like you can wait until the next big repair and then sell it, otherwise it will have little value.

Enjoy it while you can but if reliability is concerning you and it really becomes a financial drain, consider getting a newer MINI with a warranty.

Richard
Originally Posted by G0LDENDOMER
My '03 MCS is about to turn 100k. I've replaced the supercharger, water pump, suspension, brakes, wheels, lights, fluids, EVERYTHING. I drive it every day to school at work, and I just can't imagine driving anything else. The problem is, it always feels like there is more that can go wrong with this car. Does anyone have some helpful advice, wisdom, or recommendations? I already listed the car on autotrader, but I'm secretly dreading the first call or email from someone looking to buy it.