R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Morning Cold Engine - Sudden Idle RPM drop to 500 RPM in Coo

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:10 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It started a few days ago. Our 4 week old MINI Cooper CVT (750 miles only) has started to develop a tendency in the mornings to suddenly drop the idle's RPMs from about 900-1000 RPM to 500 RPM and almost threatens to stall, but then the engine quickly recovers and, as it warms up to normal operating temperature, the car runs perfectly fine for the rest of the day.

The car starts up everytime in the morning with no problems and idles normally. Also there are no problems when I shift from Park to Reverse to back out of my parking space. But when I start accelerating (After shifting from Reverse to Drive in normal mode) normally and make a quick stop at the corner of our building to merge into the main street, suddenly the car's idle RPM drops to 500 RPM, almost stalls but then it recovers and doesn't do it anymore.

This happens regardless of the A/C being switched ON or OFF. Also there are no warning dashboard lights either (Check Engine or EML) when the idle suddenly drops when coming to the first stop in the morning. Ambient temperature (Now is hot and humid) does not seem to make a difference in the morning either.

I have already put a full tank of gas (Different brand) but the morning cold engine near stalling event continues to happen.

Do I need the ECU software update CD#31????

Has anyone experienced this with their Cooper, especially the CVT?????

Old 10-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Eggsav
1st Gear
I have had my CVT cooper for 3100 miles now, and it has not done that. I have had it fail to start on the first try a couple of times. And both me and my wife have noticed that it will "bounce" when you are at a stoplight. When that happens it feels like someone is in the car jumping around. ?? I am going to have the dealer check it over on our first service appointment.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:23 AM
C4
Banned
Update:

Here is what has happened today in regards to my morning engine hesitation. I spoke with my service advisor and he told me that CD #31 does not fix this problem! and he could not do anything for me now (His words not mine). Then he went onto saying that he is expecting to receive yet another software fix from MINIUSA for those of us that have Coopers with similar near stalling symptoms. He mentioned that CD #32 should be available at dealers FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER. He then suggested for me to follow up with MINIUSA to confirm this upcoming software update.

I called MINIUSA and they were not able to confirm this upcoming "CD #32" fix right away as stated by my dealer's service dept. Right now, my MINIUSA rep is researching this info and has promised to get back to me as soon as he gets a response on this inquiry.

I still believe that CD #31 has the fix to solve this cold engine near stall in the mornings.

Has anyone heard anything about CD #32???

This is the first time I heard about it, please can anyone confirm this??