R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Which Would Be More Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 AM
The Original Godfather
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Would Be More Reliable?

Hey guys. New to the MINI realm, but been a long time BMW fan. I have been reading threads in this section and the information has helped tremendously.

I'm seriously considering a second-hand MINI, but I don't know which one to get. The most I'd like to spend is $10,000 and around Northern CA the options that come up are a 2002-2004 (maybe an '05 if I'm lucky) with mileage in the range of 80k-120k.

Which would be more reliable: S or Base?

I keep reading about transmission problems... is that a problem specifically to the base model? I should also point out that I have no intention of mods, and yes, I know what you're thinking - the mod-bug will bite me eventually... But in all seriousness I do not want to do any mods (at least not mechanically). I do a lot of driving, probably two or three times more in a day than the average bear, so I'm looking for a solid daily driver.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Is financing new not an option at all? I love my Mini and can't imagine not having one, but I'd have to say that I, personally, wouldn't want to drive it as much as you intend if it's already in the 80k miles range. You can easily drop a grand or more on a repair at the drop of a hat, but if you are able prepare yourself for that, you'll be fine. Major repairs get really costly. Stick with a manual tranny and you should be ok there. It's mainly the CVT's that have the issues. Not trying to scare you, but if you are already a BMW owner, than you probably know what you're getting into. There are definitely other cars out there that are more bulletproof and cheaper to maintain. But...Mini's do have lots of character. It's a car you'll want to give a name. They are truly fun to have and people will tell you how "cute" it is and all that, but it also brings you frustration at times. The base model will be more reliable. However, I wouldn't want a non-S. You have to get the S; it's too much fun!

What other cars are you looking at?

Last edited by muzak; 11-30-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
It all depends on choice, I rather have an R50 for my DD since it's good on gas and still boot's when I need it. My toy is a 2005 M3 for fun driving. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my R50 mini as well.

Here's my thinking on both models.

R50: Automatic (2002-2006)
Run away and never look back.

R50 Stick: (2002-2005) I know the midlands have been known to fail as well but at a very minimal rate compared to the CVT trannies. They changed gear boxes mid 2005 from a Midland to a Getrag if I am not mistaken, somebody can elaborate on this. But the Getrag tranny is very solid, it's a little clunky but still a solid gearbox.

R53 (MCS): Auto (2002-2006) they have a solid Auto tranny, it's not the same as the base R50 model.
R53 (MCS): Stick (2002-2006) Solid gear box, never been much of an issue.

Also with higher milage MCS (R53) you will eventually have to change the supercharger and that's about 2000$-2500$ minimum.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by evilness; 11-30-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
The Original Godfather
Neutral
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Originally Posted by muzak
Is financing new not an option at all? I love my Mini and can't imagine not having one, but I'd have to say that I, personally, wouldn't want to drive it as much as you intend if it's already in the 80k miles range. You can easily drop a grand or more on a repair at the drop of a hat, but if you are able prepare yourself for that, you'll be fine. Major repairs get really costly. Stick with a manual tranny and you should be ok there. It's mainly the CVT's that have the issues. Not trying to scare you, but if you are already a BMW owner, than you probably know what you're getting into. There are definitely other cars out there that are more bulletproof and cheaper to maintain. But...Mini's do have lots of character. It's a car you'll want to give a name. They are truly fun to have and people will tell you how "cute" it is and all that, but it also brings you frustration at times. The base model will be more reliable. However, I wouldn't want a non-S. You have to get the S; it's too much fun!

What other cars are you looking at?
It's funny you mention this. I decided that regardless of whatever car I get, I will keep $1000 in cash for just in case repairs. How soon after purchasing a second hand MINI would I need to pay for repairs? And specifically, which parts need to be replaced/repaired. And thanks for the heads up about the CVTs. A few forums I have read mention of that pitfall, so I guess I should steer clear of those.

The whole character aspect of MINI is a big reason why I'm wanting it, coupled with the fact that it (base model) can get 30-35 MPG tempts me even more. I am also looking at a second hand Audi A4 1.8t (B5 and B6 models if you're into Audi...) They are going for about the same cost as a second hand MINI, though they don't get as much MPG.

Originally Posted by evilness
It all depends on choice, I rather have an R50 for my DD since it's good on gas and still boot's when I need it. My toy is a 2005 M3 for fun driving. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my R50 mini as well.

Here's my thinking on both models.

R50: Automatic (2002-2006)
Run away and never look back.

R50 Stick: (2002-2005) I know the midlands have been known to fail as well but at a very minimal rate. They changed gear boxed mid 2005 if I am not mistaken, somebody can elaborate on this. I have a 2006 and my gearbox is the getrag.

R53: Auto (2002-2006) they have a solid Auto tranny, it's not the same as the base model.

Also with higher milage MCS (R53) you will eventually have to change the supercharger and that's about 2000$-2500$ minimum.

My 2 cents.
If my comprehension doesn't mislead me, it seems that this information is leaning me towards an R50 with manual transmission. I don't want to have to replace the supercharger anytime soon, and if the R50 gets great gas mileage (and it's a manual transmission) I guess that should be the one to go with.

Anyone else have input on this?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
muzak
4th Gear
I had mine for 3 months before the a/c compressor went out to the tune of $1300. But, you can't really say you will go x amount of time before something happens. It's impossible to know. I also wouldn't let the supercharger change your decision on an S. Sure, eventually it will need to be replaced; however, someone recently posted pics on here of when they pulled there's off at over 100k miles and the teeth looked as good as new. Again, it's a variable that is indeterminable. Some seep oil, some don't and will last a lot longer. Having said that, I'd test drive both, S and non-S, before making the call on that. You wouldn't want to wish you got the S later on...

PS - I'm getting 28 mpg, mostly city driving.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:17 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Just on reliablility, would stay away from the CVT R50 and the earlier R50 with the Midlands transmission (although I have one - fingers crossed).
The 5 speed Getrag R50 would be a solid choice.
For the R53, either the auto or the 6 speed Getrag would be fine, realizing that the supercharger is not immortal.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
I had mine for 3 months before the a/c compressor went out to the tune of $1300. But, you can't really say you will go x amount of time before something happens. It's impossible to know. I also wouldn't let the supercharger change your decision on an S. Sure, eventually it will need to be replaced; however, someone recently posted pics on here of when they pulled there's off at over 100k miles and the teeth looked as good as new. Again, it's a variable that is indeterminable. Some seep oil, some don't and will last a lot longer. Having said that, I'd test drive both, S and non-S, before making the call on that. You wouldn't want to wish you got the S later on...

A supercharger can let go at any time, like anything else. But I noticed the average Supercharger seems to crap out around 120-150k or so. This is from what I take reading the forums on a daily basis.

It's really up to you, but from what I took in your original post, you want a solid DD and the R50 2006 with Getrag 5 Speed is a pretty solid car.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The largest easily accessible data set for reliability of various components for the MINI over several years is that of Consumer Reports (check out the 2010 Buying Guide). Once you've picked out a car, it is still wise to have it fully inspected by a reliable mechanic who is familiar with the MINI.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 2005 or 2006 Cooper would be reliable. Although they like any cars can have issues.

A 2005 Cooper just sold in the marketplace here for $9,000 recently with 65,000 on the clock. There are good cars out there. Start searching.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
The Original Godfather
Neutral
Thanks guys!

Which year is yours?

Just curious, are there any preventive maintenance things I could do to keep the supercharger from wearing out? If problems arise around 120k point, is there anything to be done that could push that mileage point out?

Last edited by The Original Godfather; 11-30-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
muzak
4th Gear
The problem with some of the SC's is that oil can slowly seep out because there is just metal to metal with no gasket in between, and CNC machining is not always perfect. There is also no dipstick, or easily accesable filler hole -- another flaw in design. You can pull the SC off and add new oil that way. Short of that, not much you can do as it's intended to be maintenance free.

I have an 05 S.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
The Original Godfather
Neutral
Interesting. I'm presuming they don't have an aftermarket gasket/mod for the supercharger, do they?

By the way, how many miles muzak does your S have?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO........ahem.......the '06 MCS 6 speed without sunroof is the best one made.

....Les

Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by moreorless
IMHO........ahem.......the '06 MCS 6 speed without sunroof is the best one made.

....Les
Oh boy I have one of those too. Tin tops FTW!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Well ... the "Used Car Verdict" for the '06 MCS is below average according to Consumer Reports' data. '04s are above average.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by The Original Godfather
Interesting. I'm presuming they don't have an aftermarket gasket/mod for the supercharger, do they?

By the way, how many miles muzak does your S have?
It has 72,000 miles now. Had 68k-ish when I bought it. Between our other car, my motorcycle and the wife's scooter, we don't have to put a whole lot of miles on the Cooper. We'll probably average 8,000 a year on it, maybe. If I can get another 3 years of minimal/normal maintenance/repairs, I'll be satisfied with that. That will be about the same time we hit 100,000 and I'll since have the loan paid off. However, if we start to incur some tranny/clutch troubles, I'll probably just trade it in on the new Mini Countryman.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti
Well ... the "Used Car Verdict" for the '06 MCS is below average according to Consumer Reports' data. '04s are above average.
Best be careful reading Consumer Reports for car advice you could end up driving beige Camry....

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
element
3rd Gear
I have an 03MCS and just hit 125k miles (200,000 kms) careful preventative maintenance and how you drive (learn to drive smooth.. full martini glass on the dash at all times, no spilling rev-matching) will keep your parts from failing.

I just pulled my SC and it had very little fluid at both ends.. i refilled and should keep going for a while. My power steering pump also let go which is a common failure with higher milage cars.. learning to install your own parts will save you a lot of $$.. putting the front end into service mode gives you access to a lot of components and isnt that hard - the whole radiator assembly moves forward. I also replaced all my coolant hoses when i pulled the SC. bushings in the suspension are also a wear part at high milage and shocks do wear out - only tricky part is you dont notice until you install new ones as their life degrades slowly over time.

go buy one and have fun.. you only live once and life is so much better with a mini

factory ordered mine.. 7.5 years and counting strong

phil.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
The Original Godfather
Neutral
Thanks for all of your input guys!

I crunched some numbers, and to be frank, I decided to get a MCS. After some calculations, the mpg difference between the MC and MCS equates to a marginal difference in annual cost.

After some digging, I found that there isn't a significant difference (to me) in reliability/maintenance/repair from the MC and MCS. It seems that the supercharger issue is really a non-issue if I do my part to maintain, and by the time I would have to replace it, I would be looking for a new/different MINI anyway. Also, regardless of trim, the general consensus I've gathered is that manual is more reliable than automatic, except in recent year models where the automatic "problem" was "fixed".

So now I am on a quest for a 1st Gen S around 65k-85k at the right price

You guys have been a great help! Thanks!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
element
3rd Gear
congrats on the decision and welcome to the club\family!

fuel consumption is 10000000% dependant on how you drive it.. drive it like you stole it and you will burn through gas.. look up "prius vs m3" on youtube.. the m3 gets better milage.

manual is also more fuel effecient (depending on the driver)

phil.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM
The Original Godfather
Neutral
Originally Posted by element
congrats on the decision and welcome to the club\family!

fuel consumption is 10000000% dependant on how you drive it.. drive it like you stole it and you will burn through gas.. look up "prius vs m3" on youtube.. the m3 gets better milage.

manual is also more fuel effecient (depending on the driver)

phil.
I remember Top Gear did a segment on how much mileage cars actually get when they're driven hard. They took Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris, Hondas, and even a Prius if memory serves me right... they didn't last very long around their race track.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Glad you decided on the S. I really think you made the right call there. The SC can really cut into your mileage if you are heavy on the foot, but just as Element said, if you drive it really easy, you can almost get just as good mileage as the just-a-cooper. And the SC will last longer. These things spin at incredible RPM when you rev the engine. However, you do have to have fun with the SC every once in a while, safely. It is what the car was made for. Keep us posted after you make a deal for one!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:54 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Best be careful reading Consumer Reports for car advice you could end up driving beige Camry....
Correct on "car advice"! But for data on problems/reliability (which is the issue here) I know of no other source that has a larger data base that is easily accessible to the public.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
Glad you found what you are looking for!

Let us know when you do the purchase

Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by The Original Godfather
I remember Top Gear did a segment on how much mileage cars actually get when they're driven hard. They took Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris, Hondas, and even a Prius if memory serves me right... they didn't last very long around their race track.
The 1001 HP Bugatti Veyron EB (8.0L, turbocharged W16-cylinder) lasts about 11 minutes per tank at WOT and 253 mph.

The exhaust note is deliciously evil.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Which Would Be More Reliable?