R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
What do you mean you don't know about the 1st gens? I just said that the 1st gens don't get power fold mirrors, but, we do get mirrors that fold if you manually push them.

This thread is in 2002-2006 forum and the OP was asking specifically about 05 or 06 models and their heated seats. Nothing about power fold mirrors....
I will humbly cower in the corner. I don't know which thread this was posted on because my way of viewing this site is to view the most recent posts. I saw TinyKar post, "Please let me know if its worth looking for a Mini S with this option or is it just a waste of time trying to include this in my search choices." Since it was a quick read(my fault), I took it as TinyKar searching for a new/newer S with heated seats(which a lot of times comes in CWP). My knowledge of the CWP, in addition to heated seats/heated washer jets, etc, it had power fold mirrors, which I like. My response is the entire CWP is worth it. When I read the entire thread in more detail, I see that I was DEAD WRONG on my reply......sorry! I will attempt to not make any further mistakes like this.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablo05
I have an 05 as well, are you supposed to feel the heat in the bottom part of the seat (where your butt is)? Mine only heat the part where my back rests.
Yes, the bottom and back. Did you try sitting in your passenger seat for 5 minutes with the heated seat turned on?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I will humbly cower in the corner. I don't know which thread this was posted on because my way of viewing this site is to view the most recent posts. I saw TinyKar post, "Please let me know if its worth looking for a Mini S with this option or is it just a waste of time trying to include this in my search choices." Since it was a quick read(my fault), I took it as TinyKar searching for a new/newer S with heated seats(which a lot of times comes in CWP). My knowledge of the CWP, in addition to heated seats/heated washer jets, etc, it had power fold mirrors, which I like. My response is the entire CWP is worth it. When I read the entire thread in more detail, I see that I was DEAD WRONG on my reply......sorry! I will attempt to not make any further mistakes like this.
Hey, no harm done, you were just trying to help! I just didn't want the OP getting confused if they were looking for CWP for 1st generation and then thought he would get power fold mirrors too.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
No harm done. I'm a major bonehead and I almost never see which forum a thread starts in. As I said before, I just read new posts and sometimes comment. For the record, I do know a little about 1st Gen since I had an '05 Cooper before my Clubbie.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
ikappedkermit
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the heated seats - so much better than the ones on my '05 Tahoe - they warm up much quicker... my wife likes them more than I do - but then again, all she gets to do is ride while I drive - the driving experience itself warms my soul every single time I get behind the wheel...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ikappedkermit
I have the heated seats - they warm up much quicker. the driving experience itself warms my soul every single time I get behind the wheel...
Amen 2 that! +

Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Theyre pretty good. level 2 is pretty hot and 1 is ok.

I prefer VW/Audi heated seats better though.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not order heated seats in my 2002 Cooper and regretted it for many years. This fall I had a local car seat upolstry shop buy and install seat heating elements inside my existing seats.

Never knew it was possible, it cost me about double what the option price was new but I am glad I did it. The job looks better than stock IMHO.. Link to pictures of the switches here

The aftermarket seat heaters are even hotter than the standard heaters in my other 2003 Cooper (which are pretty hot).

Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 AM
doogie106
1st Gear
I have an 06 MCS that came with heated seats. At first I didn't think I would need them/use them all that much, but they are great!! And amen to getting some lower back heat treatment, they are great for after workouts and such.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Add me to the list of converts....

The first car we got that had them was an older Audi we bought for my wife - every time I got in the car - unless it was the dead of summer - those seat heaters were turned on. At first I scoffed, then we drove her car on a trip one winter.....that was it, I was convinced.

Now all of our cars have them (except my old Jag) and any car we order in the future will have them too as long as we live where it gets cold (defined by my wife as anything under about 50*! )

The ones in my '03 work as the others have said, #2 is too hot, #1 is pretty much just right, especially if it's really cold out. Otherwise I turn them on for about 5 min and that's just enough to get warm then shut them off.

That said, I really like the ones in our '04 Audi much better - they have six different heating levels, and they stay at that level, where the ones in both my '03 and '09 MINI cycle on and off.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I start off with Hottest setting then back it down to level 1. Out of all the cars I have owned and it has been many, the best heated (and a/c) seats I have owned were in my Lincoln LS, these seats you could actually set the temperature to, and or also set to the climate control.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
The first car we got that had them was an older Audi we bought for my wife - every time I got in the car - unless it was the dead of summer - those seat heaters were turned on. At first I scoffed, then we drove her car on a trip one winter.....that was it, I was convinced.

That said, I really like the ones in our '04 Audi much better - they have six different heating levels, and they stay at that level, where the ones in both my '03 and '09 MINI cycle on and off.
+1

Nothing beats radiant heat!

I first had heated seats on my late '96 A4; not having them was not an option when I was shopping for my MINI.

I agree that the setup on the Audi allows for much better fine-tuning, but the MINI is more than sufficient. If you live anywhere where it gets somewhat raw and chilly -- nevermind sub-zero -- you'll want this option and will kick yourself (in your frozen butt) if you don't get it.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
TRPete
2nd Gear
This is the second car we have had with heated seats. The first is my wife's Avalon.

These seats are much quicker to heat up Start on high, go to low as soon as I feel some heat, and then usually off unless it's real cold.

They do feel excellent. To paraphrase another NAMer, "they warm the body as driving warms the soul!"

Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minirooferS
Theyre pretty good. level 2 is pretty hot and 1 is ok.

I prefer VW/Audi heated seats better though.

The heated seats in my sister's old Beetle were hot enough to fry an egg.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nabeshin
The heated seats in my sister's old Beetle were hot enough to fry an egg.
5 in my New Beetle equates Extra Crispy.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diablo05
I have an 05 as well, are you supposed to feel the heat in the bottom part of the seat (where your butt is)? Mine only heat the part where my back rests.
Yes., you should get heat on the seat and back. Try sitting in your passenger seat (noooo....not while you're driving), and you will feel the full effect.