R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What would you do? dealer paint damage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do? dealer paint damage.

Some of you know of my constant battles with problems with my 2006 MCS. During the dealer visit before the one currently on the cards the car was dinged quite badly and from how it appeared (interior panel behind ding was pulled away) the car was tampered with in the area of the ding. The ding is right up high just behind the door and below the rear side glass. I knew right away the ding might come out but there was paint damage. I visited the dealer today (surprisingly they did not do 2 of the three things requested/schedualed!) and refused to collect the car. The ding was completely out, the dent remover did a great job but the paint definitely has an abrasion and crack. This is quite small, maybe twice the size of the head of a pencil eraser. The dealer is looking at the car again to (most probably) agree to repaint the whole panel. My thoughts are twofold. One, with my history and this car I think the painting of the whole panel will either not match or be of a poorer quality than the rest of the factory applied paint. Also upon selling the car, a purchaser will think the worst from a fully painted panel. I am thinking of doing nothing or having it spot repaired.

What would you folks do? Leave it alone and not worry about it or???

Many thanks. Peter

Old 08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
I'd choose spot repair and let it ride.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:25 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
Thats my thoughts, all I need is a prospective buyer asking why a whole panel has been painted, esp a rear corner panel.

cheers. peter

Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
So what are you getting next, Peter?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:30 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'd have them fix it, with the caveat that the repair is approved by you in terms of quality.
I had my Ram in to the dealership and they dropped it off the lift from 4' up. Banged off both posts on the way down. Drivers side they admitted to, passenger side they said was there already. Needless to say I was hopping mad. Finally eeked it out of the service guy that they dropped the truck. Oddly enough they started the repair on the drivers side before even contacting me to say something was wrong. I had a field day with these guys. Long story and my blood is boiling again so I'll go back to me beer...

Old 08-24-2008, 01:37 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
Strangely they finally admitted that although their workers must admit any damage that is caused by them, this one appears to be one that happened, an attempted fix was made and they never reported it. I wondered why the panel was still not in place when I got the car back but when hearing of the broken clips that support it i realized it could not be put back by the person who ham fistedly pulled it away.

I would do as chpsk8 says but in the real world this does not work, You can only make them do the work once and if they say thats the best you can expect you are stuck with it. As the car is dark silver and silver is one of, if not the worst color match color I think I am going for nothing or a spot repair. There is already a small scratch by the door handle (when I bought it, they said it would "buff out) that I have realized it a well intentioned but still visible scratch repair.

peter