R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 SRT-4 engine swap into MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
speedycoop
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im sure this has been mentioned but im a bit lazy right now to go through all the posts.

you could just twin charge your mini... it would be cheaper than doing a swap and the power potential is there too. one shop pulled 420+whp out of there twin charged car...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedycoop
one shop pulled 420+whp out of there twin charged car...
any more info on this car or shop?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
speedycoop
2nd Gear
shop im not sure... but here is the dyno vid of the car... sorry for not posting it in the last post... i should have.. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks_o8...elated&search=

426whp.... mmmmm tasty.. haha

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18
Well, one thing to remember is this: in a Neon chassis anyway, the SRT-4 can't hook to save it's life. Even the 400+WHP SRT-4's barely run 12.80's. A 400rwhp Mustang is a high 11 second car. I don't know how well a shorter wheelbase, lighter car will do with that kind of power.
ya i agree, if you want to customize your car I think 400 hp would be a little hard to handle. Not to mention even if it was 900 hp, its a NEON.
If you got the money and want a cool project, find a way to make it REAR WHEEL DRIVE.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shop im not sure... but here is the dyno vid of the car... sorry for not posting it in the last post... i should have.. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks_o8...elated&search=

426whp.... mmmmm tasty.. haha
Looks like the mad scientist himself, Hubie... yes??

Yup, sick vid, aint seen that in a while, thanks for the recall

Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
im sure this has been mentioned but im a bit lazy right now to go through all the posts.

you could just twin charge your mini... it would be cheaper than doing a swap and the power potential is there too. one shop pulled 420+whp out of there twin charged car...
Be careful when stating that TC'd is "cheap" in any state or form... mopst people think it is, which if you think the initial $4-5k for just the turbo setup is cheap, more power to you, but take into account you will not be putting down more than 5 extra psi... haha... gotta build that motor, IC and inj... the list goes on, and yes this has been covered many many times... its all good....

This was just a thought of doing something new with the coopers....
Quite extensive, and not worth the investment to me, so I gave it up....

Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Maybe but why would you ????

Originally Posted by Myke@RPI
I heard the mounting points are similar, but prob TOO big for the engine bay... is it a plausible swap without spending a rediculous amount of money on it? I havent seen an srt4 engine bay too many times so forgive me if it is a terrible question, I just heard from a mechanic that its similar
In life, anything is possible.

In regards to this I respond by posing the question:
Why would someone want to put an SRT4 into a MINI in the first place

As a Jag owner and officiando, some years back it was customary to put Buick power plants into used XJ models, but there was a reason for that....the original engines had more gremlins than AMC.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
In regards to this I respond by posing the question:
Why would someone want to put an SRT4 into a MINI in the first place
Both are Tritec designs and the SRT4 is larger displacement? Seems a logical thought process to me though there are probably easier ways to make power

Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
Both are Tritec designs and the SRT4 is larger displacement? Seems a logical thought process to me though there are probably easier ways to make power
Precissely...
If you are happy with your 1.6 and your gas mileage, than you will not understand this thread... But if you are from a racing background or a muscle car background and enjoy change, uniqueness and power... than you get it...

Swapping in a 2.4 in place of a 1.6 and your wondering why??? Hmmmmmmm....

Old 08-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Haggardsk8er
Precissely...
If you are happy with your 1.6 and your gas mileage, than you will not understand this thread... But if you are from a racing background or a muscle car background and enjoy change, uniqueness and power... than you get it...

Swapping out the engine in this case seems bit troublesome for a daily driver, esp when there are some reliable and less complicated perf mods available.

But, if you are looking to enter a stripped down MINI in an episode of PINKS, or as a primary tracker, then the question makes perfect sense.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
PGT
Banned
one of the Subaru guys I know bought a '95 BMW M3...a rolling chassis (blown motor). Swapped in a cammed LS2 and T56. 600hp Corvette drivetrain in a German car. People don't know what to think oh, he's a lawyer...so much for the stereotypes

Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I got an Idea. Just buy an R56. No need to swap the engine in, already there. =)

Old 08-03-2008, 04:54 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Jtrem
I got an Idea. Just buy an R56. No need to swap the engine in, already there. =)
what is? a 1.6L motor that has not yet been proven to make big power?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
what is? a 1.6L motor that has not yet been proven to make big power?
It has proven to make many a headache for new MINI owners, though. And as long we're on the subject of one nationality of vehicle with foreign power, anyone remember this:

Old 08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Precissely...

Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
Swapping out the engine in this case seems bit troublesome for a daily driver, esp when there are some reliable and less complicated perf mods available.

But, if you are looking to enter a stripped down MINI in an episode of PINKS, or as a primary tracker, then the question makes perfect sense.

As I said... if your not into this, than this is not the thread for you... take it, or leave it...
And whoever said a 2.4 swap can't be a daily driver? People get the wrong idea of a swap...

Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jtrem
Yea, same displacement, newer technology, and a turbo instead of a SC among other things, but definetly not a 2.anything in there....

Old 08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
It has proven to make many a headache for new MINI owners, though. And as long we're on the subject of one nationality of vehicle with foreign power, anyone remember this:
I remember this vid... that thing is amazing! Anyone who does not like this car with this choice of motor and chasis combo, frankly does not share the love for cars....

Remember,
DON'T HATE

Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Precissely...

I've been watching the NHRA since I was 10, into musclecars since I was probably 11 and I get it. But I still wouldn't do it. And I am happy with my N/A 1.6, the 100hp it makes and the 31mpg I get in the city. And I still wouldn't do it. Even if the SRT-4 drivetrain bolted right in, I wouldn't bastardize my car with a Neon motor. It's a dual cam turbo 4 banger. How many times has that been done in the past. My dream swap? Caged, tube chassis classic Mini, wide as all get out flares, 4 wheel discs, converted to rear drive with a 10,000RPM capable SHO motor.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM
turbo740
2nd Gear
I pondered this and some other similar swaps a while back. Unless you want to do some serious fabrication, it's not going to happen. IF you're really interested in the 2.4 turbo, look to the PT Cruiser turbo. It's a more compact engine bay, closer in size to the mini. More restrictive intake and exhaust because of this (and therefore less power) but it'll probably fit better.

I put a 1.8 DOHC mazda engine in my Festiva and destroyed it by cutting into framerails and beefing them back up, only to find out I didn't do it well enough. Then guys after me found out the 1.6 SOHC turbo fit directly and made more power. Didn't look as cool but my point is that it might make more sense to look at a more logical swap (even a Honda 1.6, with tons of aftermarket support) that might physically fit better and you're mods are basically mounts and inboard c.v. joints.

just remembered...I think Hondas spin backwards. Scratch the Honda comment!

Oh, I built a V8 Volvo wagon, too...so don't think I'm a hater on swaps. Just use your head. Good luck!

Last edited by turbo740; 08-03-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
I've been watching the NHRA since I was 10, into musclecars since I was probably 11 and I get it. But I still wouldn't do it. And I am happy with my N/A 1.6, the 100hp it makes and the 31mpg I get in the city. And I still wouldn't do it. Even if the SRT-4 drivetrain bolted right in, I wouldn't bastardize my car with a Neon motor. It's a dual cam turbo 4 banger. How many times has that been done in the past. My dream swap? Caged, tube chassis classic Mini, wide as all get out flares, 4 wheel discs, converted to rear drive with a 10,000RPM capable SHO motor.
Now THAT sounds like bastardizing a MINI.... And a lot a work... But damn would that be sweet to drive...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Now THAT sounds like bastardizing a MINI.... And a lot a work... But damn would that be sweet to drive...
I just thought of something. We have a car originally made in GB that houses a motor made in Brazil. It's kind of a bastard to begin with. Then again, when was the last time a car featured 100% of it's parts made in 1 country. Oh, and the sound of a SHO's secondaries opening is an audible orgasm. Now put that sound in an 1100lb Classic.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by turbo740
I pondered this and some other similar swaps a while back. Unless you want to do some serious fabrication, it's not going to happen. IF you're really interested in the 2.4 turbo, look to the PT Cruiser turbo. It's a more compact engine bay, closer in size to the mini. More restrictive intake and exhaust because of this (and therefore less power) but it'll probably fit better.
same engine as the SRT4 no?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
same engine as the SRT4 no?
Slight top-end differences due to engine bay size. I believe the intercooler is different (a lot smaller) and like as stated, different intake and exhaust setup. Just like the SRT-10 Ram and Viper. The Ram has a different intake manifold due to hood clearance. And the STS-V compared to the XLR-V. The STS makes I think 40hp more due to a different manifold from the XLR having a very low hood line.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 AM
UnseenIllusion
Neutral
Originally Posted by Myke@RPI
The getrag tranny on the mini S is no joke... same company who makes the supra tranny
Im refering to the 5-speed. Not everyone sports an S

Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 AM
UnseenIllusion
Neutral
This goes back to my original argument. Im asking this mostly for people with a Base model car. NO stock power adders (turbo/sc) and no LSD with a weak tranny. Swap a MCS motor in, lots of money and the resale will plumet, so if your gonna kill resale and blow money on a new motor, it might as well be one that will make big power, more tq and be different than every other MCS on the street. ::shrug:: Maybe Im missing something? If I had a MCS I would twin charge and make power that way, because its cheaper and less headache, but I have a NA 1.6 with a crap tranny. So some may see my argument and other will tell me to sell it and by a MCS. Either way, it would be awesome to have a mini that breaths fire and sounds like a diesel truck (aka SRT4 )

Quick Reply: R50/53 SRT-4 engine swap into MINI?