R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Saying goodbye to NAM and MINI

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be back, but with an original Mini as a tinker / fun car only. That's what I really wanted in the first place but it wouldn't have worked well as a daily driver as I thought my '03 would have but it's not working too well as that either.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LynnEl--sorry to hear you're so dissatisfied with your car. I remember when we were together as part of the "first deliveries" support group.

I'm very happy with mine, built at the same time.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SSSSSSSS
We bought a 2000 Eclipse GT (the body style just before the current one)new in 1999 and traded it for our '05 MCS in August '05. My most pleasurable car change, ever. I only had 2 component failures in the Mits: a door window switch wiring problem and a lumbar support lever.
The car was fast and nice on the highway but was a steamship relative to the MCS in the curves and parking lot. The first time I drove into the parking lot at work and tried to park I thought I'd been transported back into our '72 Ford Country Squire wagon. Backing up was always an adventure as there was NO visibility out the back eapecially with the ridiculous fin going right across the middle of the rear window. The doors are huge as well which makes getting in/out of the car in tight parking spaces a challenge.
We test drove the '06 Eclipse and nothing had changed in terms of the negatives I've listed. More power but still didn't handle worth beans. The styling was great until I got to the front of the car. I thought they'd slipped a Pontiac onto the lot.
Lastly, the bane of every Mini owners life: rear seat leg room. You've got even less in the Mits! While I don't need it often in the MCS, I have been able to put 4 adults in the car, and 3 of the guys had fat boy genes. Their words, not mine. :-)
I don't share well with others so I had to buy an '07 MCS for my wife. :-)
Thanks for posting your thoughts on the Mits. I know it won't be anything like my MINI but I'm also not expecting it to. I really like this new style and it's a very fun car to drive, for me.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonP
I will be back, but with an original Mini as a tinker / fun car only. That's what I really wanted in the first place but it wouldn't have worked well as a daily driver as I thought my '03 would have but it's not working too well as that either.

Seems to me you were sold a water flood car. How is that MINI's fault? Sheesh!

Go and sign the dotted line on that Mitsu. You'll be back in 12 months, if not less.

(Sometimes human nature is like that... We are stubborn and we need to set our hands on top of the fire to see if we really are going to get burn. Well go for it )

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Here's a pic of the transmission I took this morning. The trans shop guys says he thinks that this trans has come incontact with salt water and that this is not the original trans that came with the car. The MINI is perfectly fine otherwise, no sign of water damage.

Because of this I will never buy a used car again, you just don't know what you're buying.

Bingo! Used car of unknown origins = Water flood damage and/or abused. Certainly not MINI's fault here...right?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
I just love all of these negative and almost mean comments about your taste in cars and the reasons for your problems.
Something to consider concerning some of the "less than wonderful" responses posted.

Sites like this are primarily for fans of a given marque. When someone starts a thread essentially stating that the car is bad, lousy, (fill in the adjective), it will attract a avalanche of negativity.

It's like walking into a Evangelical Church and preaching the Quran.

This applies to ALL marque specific sites.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
aprilrain51
Coordinator:Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
I have an 05 MCS-liq yellow. It is the most fun car to drive and it is my daily driver . Never had one bit of trouble and I was skeptical when I bought it as I had always owned tremendously reliable Hondas. It has been so great that my husband just bought an 06 HB MCS. We also have a fantastic dealer in the area-Roadshow Mini in Memphis.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CooperSS
Well I don't think you can blame this on MINI build quality.

I would blame hurricane Katrina, maybe?? I always wondered where the parts from all those cars ended up.

Bill
Originally Posted by H.A.W.G.
Probably Katrina to blame, I cant think of any other logical reason. That really stinks though
Originally Posted by mcs22004
Katrina cars are everywhere. Those things were picked up out of the mud and have been getting distributed all over the country, either whole or as parts, ever since the end of the storm.
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Seems to me you were sold a water flood car.
Wow, Ron...I concur with the comments that you may have bought a Katrina car! So sorry for all the troubles you've had. Very best wishes to you with the next car, whichever you choose.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Something to consider concerning some of the "less than wonderful" responses posted.

Sites like this are primarily for fans of a given marque. When someone starts a thread essentially stating that the car is bad, lousy, (fill in the adjective), it will attract a avalanche of negativity.

It's like walking into a Evangelical Church and preaching the Quran.

This applies to ALL marque specific sites.
Very true, just pack your bags get your new car, hopefully enjoy it, and join their forum. 99.9% of the folks here love their Mini's, trashing them won't win you any points. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SSSSSSSS
We bought a 2000 Eclipse GT (the body style just before the current one)new in 1999 and traded it for our '05 MCS in August '05. My most pleasurable car change, ever. I only had 2 component failures in the Mits: a door window switch wiring problem and a lumbar support lever.
The car was fast and nice on the highway but was a steamship relative to the MCS in the curves and parking lot. The first time I drove into the parking lot at work and tried to park I thought I'd been transported back into our '72 Ford Country Squire wagon. Backing up was always an adventure as there was NO visibility out the back eapecially with the ridiculous fin going right across the middle of the rear window. The doors are huge as well which makes getting in/out of the car in tight parking spaces a challenge.
We test drove the '06 Eclipse and nothing had changed in terms of the negatives I've listed. More power but still didn't handle worth beans. The styling was great until I got to the front of the car. I thought they'd slipped a Pontiac onto the lot.
Lastly, the bane of every Mini owners life: rear seat leg room. You've got even less in the Mits! While I don't need it often in the MCS, I have been able to put 4 adults in the car, and 3 of the guys had fat boy genes. Their words, not mine. :-)
I don't share well with others so I had to buy an '07 MCS for my wife. :-)
The 3G cars had their fair share of improvements over the original first two generations and their own set of problems (mostly it seems due to mass and cost cutting, http://www.deadeclipse.com/ ) But I was thinking of the first and second generation cars which had many problems with people using conventional oil and causing coking on the turbocharger, transfercase failure which would cause all four wheels to lock up at highway speeds, frequent transmission problems (my car blew it's first trans at 190K miles and the replacement's synchros were so bad it became easier to learn clutchless shifting like the old non-sychromesh transmissions used) and the crank-walk problem some of the 4G63s in cars sold between 96 and 98 had.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Very true, just pack your bags get your new car, hopefully enjoy it, and join their forum. 99.9% of the folks here love their Mini's, trashing them won't win you any points. Good luck.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love mine as well. Saw her today up on the rack all torn apart, I was a bit sad.

Guys I love my MINI I just bought a bad car, maybe a Katrina car, who knows. But with all the problems I need a break from MINI for awhile. Mabye, years down the road I may buy again, a MINI for a weekend car.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a MINI for a weekend car.
now that is a wise choice.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
psb
3rd Gear
i would look at the accord coupe and the nissan ultima coupe, both can be had with a v-6, i woulds stay away from mitsubishi JMO....

good luck!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
+1 on the new accord coupe V6 if you're looking for a FF coupe.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
lotsie
Banned
a MINI for a weekend car.
Originally Posted by kenchan
now that is a wise choice.
Only dry weekends though, eh Ken

Mark

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
Only dry weekends though, eh Ken

Mark
dry and salt dust free.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Plaz
3rd Gear
Here's a pic of the transmission I took this morning.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Changing deck chairs / to a smaller chair

Ron, you are simply going from the frying pan to the fire. Tinker you will... often until you are all tinkered out. fun you may or may not have depending on your definition of fun. See my gallery. That car was very reliable for what it was. Also, unless you are a very small guy, you're not going to enjoy driving an old Mini very far for very long. It's a very tight fit for a six footer. A vintage Mini is strictly a play car. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, you may be walking sooner rather than later. Bring your cellphone.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:16 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Didn't see that iceberg!

Problem is, trannys should not be blowing up at that milage or even soon after, like mine at 62K. That is completely unacceptable and goes to show that quality is one thing MINI forgot to include in a lot of parts with their cars.
Yeah, they shouldn't blow at 62k, IF they weren't submerged with the Titanic first. Quit blaming BMW for your choice of a Katrina/Katrina "parts" car.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:16 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
Can't resist sending a post....

In W Mass, we dug the Mini out of 12" of snow after sitting in our driveway for the past 10 days. We have around 30K miles on her and it was -4 degrees and a -15 wind chill when she started right up. And up the drive she went. The only problem is seeing over the 8-10' snow piles when leaving the driveway. Never a problem.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
Ron, you are simply going from the frying pan to the fire. Tinker you will... often until you are all tinkered out. fun you may or may not have depending on your definition of fun. See my gallery. That car was very reliable for what it was. Also, unless you are a very small guy, you're not going to enjoy driving an old Mini very far for very long. It's a very tight fit for a six footer. A vintage Mini is strictly a play car. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, you may be walking sooner rather than later. Bring your cellphone.
Like I said, a vintage MINI would be a weekend fun car, nothing more, a grocery getter. Just a toy to play with.

Yeah, they shouldn't blow at 62k, IF they weren't submerged with the Titanic first. Quit blaming BMW for your choice of a Katrina/Katrina "parts" car.
Yeah, mine is a unique situation but I'm far from being the only MINI owner with a bad transmission. Besides, this car has had a lot of other problems unrelated to the transmission. She's been in the shop 8 other times for warranty work in 18 months, unacceptable.

These cars have lots of problems, that's fact.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Ugly Gas Hog - YOU'RE OUT!

Originally Posted by lukeinjax
Go for the Subaru WRX STI! AWD, great stock HP with plenty of potential for speed mods, and great handling. I'd be getting one if it weren't for the fact that the MINI gets about 2x the gas mileage and I prefer the looks of the MINI. Can't wait for the AWD MINI!!

"I'd be getting one if it weren't for the fact...", is much like an army officer telling us, "I'd like to go with you men, but they need me here. However, I will be observing through heavy lenses." Great car to recommend...TO SOMEONE ELSE!
I talked to an early twenties guy with one of those the other day. Quite the car, but he stated that the car gets 13 mpg. Every car enthusiast friend I talk to about the WRX, the first thing out of their mouths is a version of, "Those are ugly cars." Lousy gas mileage/ugly = two strikes you're out. Me, I don't want to race one, and I don't want to own one.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Speak for yourself, leave US out of it

These cars have lots of problems, that's fact.[/quote]

No, YOUR CAR had lots of problems. Being used as a submarine will do that. You bought it used. It was a POS with (apparently) an unenforceable warranty.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Like I said, a vintage MINI would be a weekend fun car, nothing more, a grocery getter. Just a toy to play with.

Yeah, mine is a unique situation but I'm far from being the only MINI owner with a bad transmission. Besides, this car has had a lot of other problems unrelated to the transmission. She's been in the shop 8 other times for warranty work in 18 months, unacceptable.

These cars have lots of problems, that's fact.
And WHAT is with this "SHE" stuff when referring to a car? It's not the Queen Mary or QE-II and it sure doesn't have a vagina. Does "she" have an obstetrician, too??

Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Ugly Gas Hog - YOU'RE OUT!

Originally Posted by surfblue
"I'd be getting one if it weren't for the fact...", is much like an army officer telling us, "I'd like to go with you men, but they need me here. However, I will be observing through heavy lenses." Great car to recommend...TO SOMEONE ELSE!
I talked to an early twenties guy with one of those the other day. Quite the car, but he stated that the car gets 13 mpg. Every car enthusiast friend I talk to about the WRX, the first thing out of their mouths is a version of, "Those are ugly cars." Lousy gas mileage/ugly = two strikes you're out. Me, I don't want to race one, and I don't want to own one.
If he's only getting 13 mpg, it means that he's driving it like he's in the WRC, it's modified, or some combination of the two. He should be getting a whopping ~17(?) mpg if he's only driving in the city.

I assumed that lukeinjax was talking about the 2008 STI, since it is the current model. It is a whole new kind of ugly gas hog. However, if driven sensibly it should get between 17 and 23 mpg. I get <20 mpg in my MCS, so that does not seem unreasonable to me (within the context of American wastefulness and ignoring the fact that all passenger vehicles should get at least 40 mpg).

People don't buy STIs for their looks. They have to really want the 300 hp and terrific AWD to make the sacrifice. My MCS looks like a cartoon clown car, has negligible power, and cheap FWD. My car would have to produce about 230 hp to have roughly the same power-to-weight ratio as an STI but would still not have AWD. The positives for the MINI are that it is over 700 lbs lighter and only 12 feet long.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Saying goodbye to NAM and MINI