R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Saying goodbye to NAM and MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:10 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like he should be happier in a Hummer.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the VW R32? I have friend that has one, it has a lot of power, all wheel drive, really odd V-6 15 degree angle instead of 90, or 60, staggered cylinders. Not sure about the reliability, but looks like a fun car. Volvo has the little C30 out now, it's cute.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
Sounds like a Mini might not have been the best choice to begin with.
I love my MINI and I hate to give it up, but one must move on past such a nightmare car. Will I buy another, yes. But only when I do not have to use it as a daily driver so I don't have to rely on it for that reason.

I've never owned a Mits before but I liked what I drove and I'll be going back for another test drive in a couple of days as well as hitting just about every other dealership in the area for test drives. I have 3 days off after tomorrow, all I'm going to do is test drive.

Is the Mits reliable, I don't know, but from my research it seems to be. You never know until you own something and drive it daily.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well considering that the only time it wasn't running was the 3 days at the dealership for a new tranny replaced under warranty in the 3 years I had it, I'd say it was pretty reliable. =)

Originally Posted by kenchan
OG- a tranny blowing up at only 43K is far from being "reliable."

Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Problem is, trannys should not be blowing up at that milage or even soon after, like mine at 62K. That is completely unacceptable and goes to show that quality is one thing MINI forgot to include in a lot of parts with their cars.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ron, I don't blame you for wanting to move on. Best wishes with your new car. Hopefully, you'll find another MINI in the future!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
True, so in 2005 they replaced the Midlands tranny with the Getrag.

Originally Posted by RonP
Problem is, trannys should not be blowing up at that milage or even soon after, like mine at 62K. That is completely unacceptable and goes to show that quality is one thing MINI forgot to include in a lot of parts with their cars.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:03 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I've thought about that but at this point I'm over the MINI, at least for now. This car really put a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. Plus the fact I want somthing sleeker, faster, heavier (more solid) and more plush.
Try a 07 or 08 MCS? I know many in the first gen forum loath the R56 being more refined but that might fit the bill. I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up the latest consumer reports on the magazine rack. The 07 MCS was a CR recommended pick, with much better than average reliability ratings.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Well considering that the only time it wasn't running was the 3 days at the dealership for a new tranny replaced under warranty in the 3 years I had it, I'd say it was pretty reliable. =)
blown tranny is catastrophic level failure. that is not considered
reliable if under 100k miles imho. if it was smaller things like
shocks leaking, squeaks/rattles, etc. that is understandable... but not a
tranny blowing up at 43k. this aint the pre-70's.

anyway, good thing you moved onto your MCS.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 PM
lukeinjax
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mcs22004
AWD MINI? Do you mean the planned Austrian-built SUV MINIbus thing?
Can't find the original article I saw about AWD, but here's another: http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-b...i-in-2008.html. The other article I saw also talked about a couple other features like the engine cutting off when the car is in neutral to save on gas.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
That's a top contender as is the RX-8 but reliability is questionable with the 8.
I work at a Mazda dealership... we have an RX-8 with only 400 miles on it needing a NEW ENGINE... these cars are ridiculous. If you think your MINI is bad.... buy an RX-8 and experience something even worse!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
I work at a Mazda dealership...
good coffee?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Try a Nissan 350z. It's only a 2 seater but very reliable, very sexy, very fast and very good on gas. I came off a 2005 and going to the Mini S was a very easy transition. I loved my Z but I love my Mini even more.

Attached Thumbnails Saying goodbye to NAM and MINI-dscf0003.jpg  
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Plaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
I work at a Mazda dealership... we have an RX-8 with only 400 miles on it needing a NEW ENGINE... these cars are ridiculous. If you think your MINI is bad.... buy an RX-8 and experience something even worse!
Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but my RX-8 is at about 20K miles, and I haven't had a single problem.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
wscruiser
3rd Gear
Well, I guess I'll chime in on this one, because I own both an 06 MCS and 07 Mits Eclipse GS. Both cars have an automatic transmission and 4 cylinder engines. So, I would say that I can honestly compare apples to apples.

Ride - To me, the MINI has a better ride. You won't notice it as much on smooth roads, but you can tell a big difference on rough roads and concrete interstates.

Power - The Mits has a lot more low end power, but the MINI has better top end power. From 0 to 60 the Mits will smoke the MINI. But from say 40 to top speed, the MINI wins.

Both are front wheel drive, but the MINI tracks a lot better through the twists and turns on a country road. If the MINI rates a 10 in the area of handling, the Mits would be a 6.5 to 7.

The fit and finish of the interior and exterior goes to MINI without a doubt.

The MINI has A LOT MORE bells and whistles, but one must remember, more bells and whistles can sometimes mean more problems in the future.

To me, the interior of the MINI is roomier and more comfortable. Neither in my opinion have a rear seat that is of much use.

Service Cost - No doubt about the winner here. The Mits oil change is 1/4 the cost of a MINI oil change. The cost of the oil is the main difference.

We purchased the Mits in September of 06, it now has 14,600 miles on it. So far it has been problem free. It has only been to the dealership for routine maintenance.

The MINI has 7000 miles on it, and has been serviced once. So far, it has been problem free as well.

The resale value of the MINI, so far, is at the top of the list. The Mits, well, it does retain it's value quite as well. But, you also don't have to pay sticker price for the Mits. You would be suprised how much off sticker price you could get one for with a little talking and some patience.

My biggest dislike about the Mits is comfort. I have long legs, and after a while, my knees start to bother me when I drive it. I also have a little problem getting down to crawl into it. It sits nothing like a MINI. Thats why my wife uses it as her daily driver, and I only drive it when I have to.

Good luck on your decision, what ever it may be.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glangford
The 07 MCS was a CR recommended pick, with much better than average reliability ratings.
I'll vouch for this.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:41 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
CR... that only means the appliance guys like the 07's... it's not
a compliment.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wscruiser
Well, I guess I'll chime in on this one, because I own both an 06 MCS and 07 Mits Eclipse GS. Both cars have an automatic transmission and 4 cylinder engines. So, I would say that I can honestly compare apples to apples.

Ride - To me, the MINI has a better ride. You won't notice it as much on smooth roads, but you can tell a big difference on rough roads and concrete interstates.

Power - The Mits has a lot more low end power, but the MINI has better top end power. From 0 to 60 the Mits will smoke the MINI. But from say 40 to top speed, the MINI wins.

Both are front wheel drive, but the MINI tracks a lot better through the twists and turns on a country road. If the MINI rates a 10 in the area of handling, the Mits would be a 6.5 to 7.

The fit and finish of the interior and exterior goes to MINI without a doubt.

The MINI has A LOT MORE bells and whistles, but one must remember, more bells and whistles can sometimes mean more problems in the future.

To me, the interior of the MINI is roomier and more comfortable. Neither in my opinion have a rear seat that is of much use.

Service Cost - No doubt about the winner here. The Mits oil change is 1/4 the cost of a MINI oil change. The cost of the oil is the main difference.

We purchased the Mits in September of 06, it now has 14,600 miles on it. So far it has been problem free. It has only been to the dealership for routine maintenance.

The MINI has 7000 miles on it, and has been serviced once. So far, it has been problem free as well.

The resale value of the MINI, so far, is at the top of the list. The Mits, well, it does retain it's value quite as well. But, you also don't have to pay sticker price for the Mits. You would be suprised how much off sticker price you could get one for with a little talking and some patience.

My biggest dislike about the Mits is comfort. I have long legs, and after a while, my knees start to bother me when I drive it. I also have a little problem getting down to crawl into it. It sits nothing like a MINI. Thats why my wife uses it as her daily driver, and I only drive it when I have to.

Good luck on your decision, what ever it may be.
Thanks for posting wscruiser, gives me some good insight.

As for interior fit and finish, I drove an 08 and it looked very nice, of course this is compared to my 03 MC, I sure the newer MINIs have are much better. As for power, I'm going V6, that greatly improves it's preformance plus a 6-speed. They do offer that 5-speed sportronic automatic but I don't like automatics. As for handling, no doubt the MINI wins, smaller, lighter, shorter.

Both the Mazda and Mits dealers wanted to deal right then and there, even pay off what I owe on my MINI, no matter how much, without even seeing the car. I know I'll be able to get a good price no matter which car I buy.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm--wanted to deal so much they didn't even need to see your car? Are they hurting for sales, or wanting MINIs?

I've just come from the world of "other" cars (actually an older, but still excellent BMW). No way would I go back unless I needed the back seat room.

Too bad you're soured on MINIs, and I hope you get what you're looking for. Nothing like the new-car smell, eh?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:17 PM
RonP
4th Gear
[Homer Simpsom]mmmmmmmmmm......new car smell[/Homer Simpson]

Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Mowse
5th Gear
"Happy trails Hans".

Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
4 - door fun car?

how about the 08 WRX? or the new accord coupe?

Well, the time has just about come to say goodbye. When, or if, I ever get my 2003 MC back from the repair shop I'll be driving her right to my driveway (for stripping) and then to a predetermined dealer to which I will trade her in. The trans went out over 5 weeks ago, the extended warranty doesn't want to cover the repair sighting that they cannot find why it failed, it's going to be a fight. But, beyond that, just too many things wrong with this car.

She was a blast to drive and I will miss her but (for now) I'm done with anything MINI or BMW, the reliability just isn't there.

My plan to to stick to something Japanese. I want something refined and sleek. I really like the Eclipse Coupe V6. That's a top contender as is the RX-8 but reliability is questionable with the 8. Next week, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan and Honda. Looking for a sports type car, two doors that seats 4.

Once I get the goodies off my MINI you'll see me post a bit in the For Sale area.

As Tigger would say...TTFN!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Before signing the dotted line on a new Mitsu Eclipse, see this:

http://www.deadeclipse.com/

Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, that is a revealing Mitsu link. And I thought the MINI had its quirks, and it's a heck of a lot more fun than an Eclipse.

Guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Wow, that is a revealing Mitsu link. And I thought the MINI had its quirks, and it's a heck of a lot more fun than an Eclipse.

Guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side...
Exactly. And it appears the Mazda RX-8 is another dog in the making:

http://www.ghostwheel.com/merlin/Per...tter-to-mazda/

Quick Reply: R50/53 Saying goodbye to NAM and MINI