R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Metrosexuals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a Guy.
I happen to like ladies.
I also happen to own a pair of Diesel jeans that are hanging right next to some Levi's. I bought them because they fit well.

I am also an Architect.
I can just as easily design your interiors as I can a stadium or sports complex.

While I don't do Yoga, I do enjoy my Gym time. Working out allows me to look and feel my best.

I drive a Cooper S. I dig it. Period.

Apparently some of these characteristics make me a "metrosexual" according to the Times, and a "pretentious snob" according to many MCO members.

Couldn't give a crap.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:42 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
I didn't think my post would get such a response -

Labeling, in any form, is just so someone who doesn't know you can put you in a category and feel more comfortable 'cause now they 'know' you. I drive an S, black 'cause it goes with everything. I live in the hills, eat fancy food, consume brie like it was going out of style and think nothing of dropping dollars on a 'good' meal and a kick-*** bottle of wine. I wear designer jeans and pay way too much money for a haircut (mostly 'cause I tip big and like the head massage and the personal attention I get from my stylist), and I like the women, especially my fiance.

I also drive my car in my bare feet when it suits me, go to the gym without showering first in the morning, work in the yard and get really dirty and let my dog lick my face (yeah I know where her tongue has been, all dog owners know) and I play soccer and slide around in the mud (outdoor) and smash people against the boards (indoor).

Label that ESCG.

Old 06-24-2003, 02:21 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear

>>
>>Labeling, in any form, is just so someone who doesn't know you can put you in a category and feel more comfortable 'cause now they 'know' you. I drive an S, black 'cause it goes with everything. I live in the hills, eat fancy food, consume brie like it was going out of style and think nothing of dropping dollars on a 'good' meal and a kick-*** bottle of wine. I wear designer jeans and pay way too much money for a haircut (mostly 'cause I tip big and like the head massage and the personal attention I get from my stylist), and I like the women, especially my fiance.
>>
>>I also drive my car in my bare feet when it suits me, go to the gym without showering first in the morning, work in the yard and get really dirty and let my dog lick my face (yeah I know where her tongue has been, all dog owners know) and I play soccer and slide around in the mud (outdoor) and smash people against the boards (indoor).
>>

Amen brother!
You just described ME!
Damn, maybe we ARE Metrosexuals!
Seriously though, there's probably also a reason why we drive the same car and frequent the same web board. I just don't see why we need a label. Are we also "Minisexuals"?...
I never new appreciating style and enjoying the good things in life were the components of a new stereotype.

Old 06-24-2003, 03:25 AM
Fiver
2nd Gear
These so-called "metrosexuals" are the types I suppose that would buy a MINI because Madonna purchased one, steadily drive to Starbucks, or maybe the Gap, and then home again where they can complain about how harsh the ride is on their little tush and how the cupholders aren't big enough, then summarily dump the car when it is no longer 'of the moment.' This is why the MINI couldn't accurately be associated with any group but one, those that truly enjoy the driving experience. Those who get it as a novelty or simply because they think it's cute, will in all likelihood fall by the wayside as time goes on.

It's analogous to writers that describe the MINI as though it were just a fashion accessory or movie prop without having even a vague appreciation for what the car is truly about. In comparison, from the outset, automotive journalists have raved about its dynamics and handling prowess and recognize the fact that the MINI has raised the standard for the modern-day interpretation of the hatchback. They are two completely different perspectives. One is fleeting and hollow. The other is truer to form and sees the MINI in the broader picture both now and into the future. I know which is a more accurate reflection of my MINI, so all these writers can try to pin the car on whatever group they want. It's not up to them. The MINI designers and engineers have already decided, and sorry but the Frappuccino lovers didn't win.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:20 AM
captnjoe
2nd Gear

>>Seriously though, there's probably also a reason why we drive the same car and frequent the same web board. I just don't see why we need a label. Are we also "Minisexuals"?...
>>I never new appreciating style and enjoying the good things in life were the components of a new stereotype.

"Minisexuals" As much as I like putting MINI in front of other words. I don't think we should go with this one.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:26 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I love the NYT Sunday Styles section! I saw the article on "Metrosexuals" on Sunday, but was too busy this weekend to read it...I flagged it for later reading during the week.

Actually, the reason why I read Styles is to scan the "brides" pages, the weekly-noted "trend", and the page of pictures of NY swells partying the night away at various charity *****. Oh yeah, the several full-page ads of goulish-looking women and men wearing odd strips of fabric and leather (I understand that this is fashion)...this is entertaining too.

Point is, the Styles section is the best kind of barely disguised parody. It pokes excessive fun at the subjects of its "articles", and these subjects in turn have absolutely no clue that they're being held up for the ridicule of millions of readers. If you take any of it seriously, well, then maybe you ARE one of the subjects.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:49 AM
mpemburn
4th Gear
The only kind of label I need is, "WARNING: Noxious gasses"

It never ceases to amaze me that in the US of A, where we pride ourselves on our great personal freedom, so many people are desperate to conform to some group image or other so as not to stand out. I haven't met too many men like me in my time and don't expect to. Oh sure, some of the things I do are predictable middle-aged guy stuff but a whole lot is not. I don't care to enumerate, thank you.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:13 AM
dandp
6th Gear
FWIW - by the time a trend is published in the NY Times, the hipsters in Williamsburg and other "artists groves" are way on to the next thing...just read the Pabst Blue Ribbon story in the Magazine section of Sunday's Time's, gives some great insight onto why Pabst ISN'T advertising

Old 06-24-2003, 04:58 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
>>
>>
>>>>Seriously though, there's probably also a reason why we drive the same car and frequent the same web board. I just don't see why we need a label. Are we also "Minisexuals"?...
>>>>I never new appreciating style and enjoying the good things in life were the components of a new stereotype.
>>
>>"Minisexuals" As much as I like putting MINI in front of other words. I don't think we should go with this one.
>>

I second that...

Old 06-25-2003, 01:07 AM
skrutzen
3rd Gear
It's about time that they came up with a term for guys like me. I got that article handed to me on Sun. by a good friend who looked at me and said that she now knows how to better understand my ways. This is something that has taken way too long to get across the pond. The guys in Europe have been like this for years and it's about time that men here started being more open minded and not afraid of the more feminine aspects of themselves. Anyway enough of my ranting, I'm off to get waxed...

Old 06-25-2003, 01:53 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>FWIW - by the time a trend is published in the NY Times, the hipsters in Williamsburg and other "artists groves" are way on to the next thing...just read the Pabst Blue Ribbon story in the Magazine section of Sunday's Time's, gives some great insight onto why Pabst ISN'T advertising<<

Old 06-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am a demographic nightmare.

My idea of fashion sense is jeans, flannel and t-shirts. I am somewhat of a slob with an almost obsessive eye for details. I built the house I am living in and the computer I am writing this on. I built the garage in which I can completely disassemble my MINI and reassemble it and not be detectable. I like all kinds of music. I cry at sad movies. I can deadlift close to 700 pounds. In the evening I will eat dinner at a 5-star restaurant after having lunch earlier at Burger King. I make a mean batch of toast. I can decorate, but I fail miserably in my feng shui. I can consume a 6-pack of beer with no effects. Cucumbers make me belch for hours. I can watch South Park as easily as I can watch Masterpiece Theatre. I play guitar. I am skilled in electronic design and troubleshooting, photography, construction trades, anything mechanical, electrical or fluidic. I use puns as weapons. I have somewhat conservative views with a liberal nature. I am bald, hairy and have a bushy beard. I am a nightowl. I have a short fuse and a lot of patience. I am gay. I am just as comfortable driving my MINI to it's limits as I am beating the hell out of my turbodiesel 4WD. I am the most helpful, friendly and kind person you would ever meet unless you cross me, and I am literally able to pull your arms out of their sockets if you do.

This is just a small sampling. It gets better. :smile:

Old 06-25-2003, 10:38 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
You paint an incredible picture Greatbear - seriously. :smile:

Old 06-26-2003, 05:00 AM
OpusMini
4th Gear
>>I'm sorry, but if you are buying Diesel jeans, you are gay. GAY GAY GAY. Hell, I'm gay, and wouldn't dream of wearing such designer trash. But to say they are straight is outright laughable. They are not looking for guys in touch with their feminine side (if they were, they'd ask guys working in the floral industry), they are looking for pretentious snobs that only care about how others view them. What does that have to do with being "feminine?" Does that mean that women only care about their outward appearance and NOTHING else? How trivial, now WRONG and how jaded. Excuse me while I go throw up.
>>
>>R

Possibly the Times is off the mark again. One of the BBC shows, I think so Graham Norton used to do an audience/street cam segment where they pick one guy out of the street and ask the audience if he was gay or Eurotrash?

I checked the byline and apparently Jayson Blair wrote it so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 06-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Greatbear
Hell, I took the geek test and earned this:

43.58974% - Major Geek

Old 07-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Greatbear
Sorry to be bumping an old thread, but when I saw this piece at MSN the firs thing I thought of was this thread.

BTW, I have seen some of the ads spoken of in the article, and they are a hoot. No MINIs though!