R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Were your family & friends supportive of your decision to bu

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 PM
400ex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>This car is truely for an individual not a joiner....
Nicely put !!

When my wife first saw the new Mini, she new I would have to have it. I had about 14 months to go on my lease, so she asked me "Sooo, what are you thinking about getting next ? ... Whatever, as long is it's not one of those Mini's" !!!
I wasn't even concidering it, yet.

I brought one home on my test drive, and asked her to ride back to the dealer with me. (She didn't know I was going to the dealer) First words out her mouth, "You would get the 4 door, right" ? "UHhhh, they don't make a 4 door honey." She get's in,
" You wouldn't get the stick, would you" ? (She can't and won't drive a stick) Uhh they do make a automatic, but it's not this one, and I want this one. Complete silence, all the way back to the dealer. Well, except for me reconfirming second gear squaks were easily achieved !! Afterall, this was my test drive.

Eventualy offered to sell my ATV to get the MCS, touting improvement in our monthly budget. I new I was selling it before the test drive, forgot to mention it to her, must have slipped my mind.

Brother doesn't care for it, co-workers think it cost too much, it's a girls car, blah blah blah. Mother thinks it unsafe, Roadrage stories, mini haters, stumbling, coolant leaks, cracked windshields, pealing door handles, coolant color changes, rough ride, increase in insurance, etc etc ... None of these things have stopped me.

If you drove it and you liked it, and can't afford a 30,000+ car, Go for it !!! Enjoy numerous sleep deprived nights, as I did, viewing the galleries of both sites, picking your color, configuring your options, calcaulating payments, debateing your wheel choices .. "What a loooooong, strange trip it's been."

Enjoy the Ride.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 PM
StaceysMini1
1st Gear
Okay now I'm having second thoughts about my husband teaching me how to drive a stick shift car... Anyone want to teach me???
-Stacey

Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 PM
sp767
1st Gear
arus!

I've got to tell you, I was in EXACTLY the same situation as you about three weeks ago. Due to financial cutbacks, I had to sell my beloved 2002 BMW 540 6spd.

After an exhaustive search, I settled on the Mini. My wife of 16 years, who I've known for 23 years, was my high school sweetheart and is my all time best friend, went crazy over my intent to buy the car. SHE ABSOLUTELY HATED THE IDEA!!! I have never seen her so dead set against something. She had the same reasons your girfriend has.

I went against her judgement and bought the car. It was one of the best decisions of my life!

Three weeks after purchase, my kids are crazy about the car and my wife loves it. This is probably the most fun car that I have ever had. It is a fantastic driving experience and will be deeply more satisfying than VW. I have owned a lot of cars, many of them VW, Audi and BMW.

I only have one thing to back up my statement about how good the mini is. Go to your local Barnes and Noble and pick up the latest edition of "CAR" magazine. The authority on performance cars and all cars in general, written by an English publishing company.

In the back of the magazine, they always list the top 100 cars in the world. No. 1 is the Porsche 911 Turbo. No. 2 is the MCS! Behind the cooper is various Ferraris!

Enough said!

steve

Old 06-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Darus
Neutral
Well, no one will be making decisions for me, if I want a Mini, it is a Mini I shall have! I was just wondering if others have had the same negative feedback from family or friends about the car because I never had such negative feedback over a car before. I am sure my girlfriend will get over it anyway. :smile:
I appreciate all the replies, it has been a lot more than I had anticipated.
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2003, 04:35 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
It is ultimately your decision, but choosing to buy one will be one of the best decisions of your life. This may sound cheesy, but the fact that I bought a MINI (let alone two now, ) changed my life for the better in a major way. Life had been pretty lonely for me, I had lost many of my friends, was single, was just constantly bored. I was driving a New Beetle then... which, don't get me wrong, was a GREAT car, I loved it, but it got constant ridicule. When I bought my MINI, I started up my own MINI club here in NE Ohio... now I have a spectacular group of friends that I see regularly, and have gotten to do some things that the average person never would... such as driving my car on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for FREE last weekend.

I had seen glimpses of the MINI a couple years ago, but never really gave it any passing thought until my dad asked me if I'd like one. The purchasing process for the two cars is pretty complex and has to do with a lawsuit we won, so I won't get into that... but everyone was supportive of my decision to buy one.

So, I guess what I'm saying is for you to go to your dealer and place an order!

Old 06-20-2003, 06:40 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Wow, these are all great thoughts shared by everyone here at our non-stop, round-the-clock, 24/7 online meeting of MINI-holics non-anonymous!!!!!
I love this thread! Some great lines:
"My wife is not a bad person, just a bad judge of cars"!

Markus

Old 06-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
On the "who has fun driving an SUV".

I hate the st00pid term yuppies use for what in the year I bought my first Bronco, as well as my first Explorer they were TRUCKS.

Rich fool cannot be seen in a TRUCK so they make a new term for a non-pickup truck?

Sorry, I don't buy into it, I drive a TRUCK. (and a MINI of course)

Old 06-25-2003, 04:29 PM
BIGCliff
1st Gear
Darus,

Don't listen to them! The folks who say things like that don't really know anything about the Mini, and are pulling reasons why its a bad car from some orifice. The Mini is a great car. As long as it fits youe needs, who cares what others think?

My story - I was looking for an everyday car to replace my 95 GMC pickup. I looked at Toyotas, Hondas, PT Cruisers, etc. Saw a Mini at the Washington Auto Show. Loved it. My wife HATED it. I tried various sports cars and I couldn't fit in most or could fit but had to lay sideways to see out the windshield (I'm 6' 2" and 240), but I fit in the Mini with room to spare.

Out test driving, took the wife with me to Mini for a drive. We literally were in the car 3 MINUTES when she said "This is the car you're buying. I love it!"

So those that are not supportive just don't know enough about it, or are just extremely opinionated on their own preferences.

GO FOR THE MINI AND ENJOY!!

Old 06-25-2003, 04:40 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
>>Okay now I'm having second thoughts about my husband teaching me how to drive a stick shift car... Anyone want to teach me???
>>-Stacey

If you were in my local area, I'd love to teach you. It's not as hard as you might think.