R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Brake Warning Light on After Brake Upgrade? Help??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM
wnstwolf2
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Warning Light on After Brake Upgrade? Help??

Hi folks,

First post after trying to do a simple upgrade. 45k miles on the stock S front brake wear items (Pads and Rotors) and upgrades to EBC greenies and a set of new slotted and plated rotors from Helix. (Their stage 1 upgrade kit) Since I was not aware of the condition of the break wear sensor I picked up a new one of those too.

The install was very straight forward and the sensor went in very easily. Added the included brake fluid and blead the breakes and wow the car is better than new. EXCEPT the break weear warning light is now on.. My thought is this: The break wear sensor slides in on the inner brake pad on the drivers dide. I installed it the same as the old one came out so orientation is correct. My guess is the Greeen EBC pads are painted Green and the paint is causing the sensor to not contact metal?

OR is this a factory default as soon as I unplugged the old sensor the light came on and needs the computer to be reset or some odd "dealer only" fix??

Thansk in advance..

Wnstwolf in PA

Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The sensor doesn't need to contact metal or anything else - the wear sensor is just a loop of wire and the computer tests for continuity (i.e. if the wire is broken) - when the old pad wears down into the sensor space, it actually wears through the little wire and this breaks continuity, causing the light to come on...

Double-check your sensor, and the wiring leading to it, and where it plugs in - make sure you have a good connection. The real test would be to unplug it and us an ohm meter to test for continuity - make sure you don't have a bad sensor. When I replaced my pads, I just tied the sensors up out of the way with zipties - I inspect my brakes frequently enough that I don't need them.

I've heard some cases of the computer holding the fault after disconnecting or breaking the sensor connection - the fix for this is to dsconnect the battery for a few minutes to allow the computers to reset. Then all should be well. You can try this first if you'd like - it's an easier test than tearing back into the brakes...

Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Ralph@Helix
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
The sensor doesn't need to contact metal or anything else - the wear sensor is just a loop of wire and the computer tests for continuity (i.e. if the wire is broken) - when the old pad wears down into the sensor space, it actually wears through the little wire and this breaks continuity, causing the light to come on...

Double-check your sensor, and the wiring leading to it, and where it plugs in - make sure you have a good connection. The real test would be to unplug it and us an ohm meter to test for continuity - make sure you don't have a bad sensor. When I replaced my pads, I just tied the sensors up out of the way with zipties - I inspect my brakes frequently enough that I don't need them.

I've heard some cases of the computer holding the fault after disconnecting or breaking the sensor connection - the fix for this is to dsconnect the battery for a few minutes to allow the computers to reset. Then all should be well. You can try this first if you'd like - it's an easier test than tearing back into the brakes...
+1 with double checking the sensor...if you only need to reset the light try turning the ignition key to the #2 position for around 30 seconds without turning over the engine. The light should go out.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:51 AM
wnstwolf2
Neutral
Thanks Paul,

I knew I could not be the first to do this.. I will pop the battery then dive in.. if it is a bad sensor can i just unplug it and put a jumper in the its place or is the resistance a regulated type thing IE Resistor

Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
wnstwolf2
Neutral
:impatient Thanks Ralph..

Now I really feel dumb.. I should have just called your team..

that did the trick.. Great vendor follow up wow

and the Helix badge looks great on the car. those Philly boyz better not steal it...