Queer Owners Club - QoC Club forum for the QoC

Are You A Real Car Guy or Gal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meanwhile, somewhat back on topic . . .

I lean towards trucks, convertibles, and wagons. I've had my share of big versions and have decided smaller is better (in vehicles). I also like all the high-end options - which America has not felt necessary in small vehicles. The first vehicle that nailed it was my Mazda 3 Grand Touring 5 door. It had just about everything my current BMW has - for $35K less. When the MINI came back, I was very interested. I was aware of Mini as an iconic British vehicle - but it was just too small for us and the dogs. The Clubman almost got me - but access to the rear seat and room was still a problem and I went with the BMW. With the Countryman, they finally got it. I drove one and had my Goldilocks moment - "Ah, just right."

As far as the gay thing goes - every board I read eventually comes up with cars that are either male or female. (When I bought my Eos, I had to sign a note that said I owned a dress.) Currently, there's a thread going on the T-Bird board as to if the Bird is a woman's car. My answer to all this is "Toro caca." If this is all people have to worry about, I'm jealous that the rest of their life is so perfect. Or worried that they're so deep in denial, that they're desperate to throw people off. Either way, I'm not getting involved. I drive cars that make me grin - when I drive it, when I look at it, when I sit in it, when I talk about it. I'm really selfish that way - and I'm looking forward to grinning in my Pure Orange Countryman.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sealy
Meanwhile, somewhat back on topic . . .

I lean towards trucks, convertibles, and wagons. I've had my share of big versions and have decided smaller is better (in vehicles). I also like all the high-end options - which America has not felt necessary in small vehicles. The first vehicle that nailed it was my Mazda 3 Grand Touring 5 door. It had just about everything my current BMW has - for $35K less. When the MINI came back, I was very interested. I was aware of Mini as an iconic British vehicle - but it was just too small for us and the dogs. The Clubman almost got me - but access to the rear seat and room was still a problem and I went with the BMW. With the Countryman, they finally got it. I drove one and had my Goldilocks moment - "Ah, just right."

As far as the gay thing goes - every board I read eventually comes up with cars that are either male or female. (When I bought my Eos, I had to sign a note that said I owned a dress.) Currently, there's a thread going on the T-Bird board as to if the Bird is a woman's car. My answer to all this is "Toro caca." If this is all people have to worry about, I'm jealous that the rest of their life is so perfect. Or worried that they're so deep in denial, that they're desperate to throw people off. Either way, I'm not getting involved. I drive cars that make me grin - when I drive it, when I look at it, when I sit in it, when I talk about it. I'm really selfish that way - and I'm looking forward to grinning in my Pure Orange Countryman.
I saw my first Countryman here on the streets of Taichung, Taiwan yesterday. I left the US before deliveries started, so it sort of took me by surprise. I was aware of it's increase in length, but it didn't look out of proportion. What was noticeable was the increase in height. That was what leaped out at me. Overall, I do not subscribe to the "It's not a MINI." mindset. I view it as an extension of the MINI range. Would I be interested in buying one? Probably not. It is much larger than I really need. The Clubman works for me and the size is appropriate for what I need to do. For the record, the colors were white over dark blue, but I don't know the specific names.

I'm not sure why it is necessary to designate cars as male or female. My JCW Clubman is capable of 147mph, but I suspect that the number of women MINI owners who are interested in this fact is a fairly small subset. Yet, if you squint, the car looks nearly the same as a Justa Clubman. You really can't universally apply the term Chick Car to both, but that's what people do.

Too much time on their hands, I suppose...