PittStop MINI Club The PittStop MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.pittstopmini.org

Feb 25 - Wintry Driving Refresher

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feb 25 - Wintry Driving Refresher

Wintry Driving Refresher

Sunday, February 25, 2007 (11:00am - 4:00pm)
BeaveRun Motorsports Complex

Registration Deadline: Feb. 17, 2007

We need a minimum of 20 drivers to hold this event ...so the first 20 registered drivers get a Free Lunch!
There is also a maximum of 35 drivers so you should definitely register early!

Many of the skills covered in the Wintry Driving Refresher can be helpful in any season. Learn and/or practice safe car-handling techniques in a controlled environment at BeaveRun for safer driving on the street. Of course, beyond the logical, rational reasons for attending, there is also just the sheer fun of it! Here is the basic agenda:

10:30-11:00 - Arrival, Check-in, meet and greet.
11:00-12:00 - Classroom discussion, Lunch.
12:00-4:00 - On track driving exercises - autocross-like format.

The event will happen with or without snow (there are other ways of decreasing traction). In the past, however, we have had to reschedule due to severe weather, so continue to watch pittstopmini.org and your inbox for updates.

Cost: Member - $50/Driver; Non-member - $75/Driver. (Did you renew your membership for 2007?)
Lunch: $10/Person - sandwich/beverage. (First 20 registered drivers get their lunch FREE!)

Read more and register online.

Let's Motor!

Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just sent in my registration....how are we looking as far as the 20 car minimum?

Jason

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi - Leon Dixon here, Performance Event Coordinator for PittStop.

We're getting there... need a few more but I have no doubt we'll proceed. Heck, if it means me chipping in, passing the hat, or registering my daughter I'll do it. This is going to be fun. Be sure to check out our FAQ on the www.pittstopmini.org website. In summary:

This event, while fun, doesn't push the cars TOO hard.

You're the driver so you get to choose how hard and how much you drive

Professional instructors are on hand to ride with you, give tips, etc.

This is not a "track" event, it's held on the VDA (Vehicle Dynamics Area), a HUGE expanse of smooth pavement. Speeds are relatively low (suburban driving speed or slower). There's nothing to hit but small rubber traffic cones, and they were asking for it anyway.

You can bring a non-Mini, we won't point at you and laugh. Too much. Extra points for Mini-izing your non-Mini.

This is not a competitive or track event, so should not affect your warranty

If there's no snow, there are other ways of providing a slippy surface... making ice, or even spreading sand. Check the website as we get closer, though, to see the status.

You can share a car with someone else, but no backseat driving, nagging, pestering, or asking "are we there yet?" Do NOT make me turn this car around! Unless I can use the e-brake, that is!

See you there!

oops - almost forgot - there's LUNCH TOO!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
jenzahara
Neutral
I'm in!

Are we at the minimum yet?

Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Mini2Go
Yes! As a matter of fact, we just hit it today. I was getting a little anxious there. :impatient

Now, if the weather cooperates we're golden!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Looks like the weather is going to be excellent for this event, nice and cold until then, preserving the slippery surface. There's a mild warming trend forecast for the weekend of the event, which will be excellent.

I was in touch with Beaver Run today, they tell me that conditions are excellent and will likely stay great until (and through) the 25th.

Stay tuned, we're keeping a weather-eye...

Old 02-18-2007, 05:47 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
So we just signed up. Joy will have her 2007 BMW 335i (replacing last year's car, her red Subaru WRX) and I will bring track-toy. It should be a great day of driving!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:30 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Wow guys, I was planning on having a good time at the wintry driving refresher, but this thing was friggin turned up to 11!!! Between my brother and I, we had my car running pretty much 100% of the time and burned a full tank of gas. We really enjoyed all the seat time we got over on the Wilson Circuit! Earlier in the day when the Wilson was still mostly snow it was great to drift around the track with plenty of help from the e-brake. By late afternoon, the Wilson was mostly wet with some slushy spots and we were really getting a chance to get some good speed. Looks like I'm going to need a new set of blizzaks next winter, they didn't hold up too well to all of the abuse today! I am already looking forward to the next performance driving event with PittStop!!

Jason

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Here is a little video I made of yesterday's event.

Enjoy!

Large and better quality:

http://video02.cssd.pitt.edu/PittStopWinter.mp4

Small:

http://video02.cssd.pitt.edu/PittStopWinter.mov

Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Jason, your car definitely had the most run time of any of us - and sounded great in the process... Mini2go was Mini2GONE when it came to the snowy autocross course, plenty of time and resources to really get to know your Mini - as well as at least one "car recovery practice" session on the North Circuit!

Have to REALLY thank Beaver Run for the excellent facility and instruction, as well as the guided laps, individual seat time, and some freedom to "do our own thing" within the reasonable bounds of safety and sanity - GREAT job by them.

Glad y'all enjoyed that, now....

If you liked THAT one, wait 'til you see what we're cooking up NEXT!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Mini2Go
OH MY! What a blast!

I have to admit, sadly, that my right elbow and wrist were a little tender from yanking on the handbrake so much! I was SOOOO happy to have real snow and ice for this! While still fun, sand just isn't the same.

This was easily the most fun I've had in many months. If everyone else had even 1/2 the fun I did, then they certainly got their money's worth.

Many thanks to Leon for putting together a HUGELY successful first event as the Club's new Performance Event Coordinator. You've set for yourself quite a precedent to follow.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
If you missed it, here's what you missed:
and a little but no or or

Just wait for the follow up events....

Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
A huge thanks to Leon and all who made this event possible. I had a great time chasing BRG MCS around the Wilson Circuit with lots of power sliding and e-brake turns. Now I find out he was on Blizzaks! My All Season Avons were no match, at least that's my excuse! A great time! Thank you!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by track-toy
A huge thanks to Leon and all who made this event possible. I had a great time chasing BRG MCS around the Wilson Circuit with lots of power sliding and e-brake turns. Now I find out he was on Blizzaks! My All Season Avons were no match, at least that's my excuse! A great time! Thank you!

I had a blast out there with you too! I'm not sure what was more entertaining-flogging my own car out there on the slippery stuff, or watching you earn some major style points in my mirror (and out my side windows) !

Yeah, I'm a big fan of blizzaks

Jason

Old 02-28-2007, 07:23 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
A few images... (right click, "save as" to download...)

Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Nickyd80
Former Vendor
Thanks for the fun guys!!! I had a blast also great pics Leon.

Nick

Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Nickyd80
Former Vendor
By the way. Jason is that your version of cold air intake??? LOL

Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jasonsmf

I had a blast out there with you too! I'm not sure what was more entertaining-flogging my own car out there on the slippery stuff, or watching you earn some major style points in my mirror (and out my side windows) !

Yeah, I'm a big fan of blizzaks

Jason
In my determination to stay up with you on your Blizzaks, I had some terrific experiences with uber power slides, using up all or most of my opposite lock correction. My original plan was to give you some serious hassle in your rear view mirror albeit at a safe distance, but that didn't work out due to straightline traction issues. After realizing that you were pulling away, and then that I was extemely hot and perspiring from the effort, I reluctantly retired.

My All Season Avons had great sideways grip (hence my driving technique to try to catch you), but parallel rib, water evacuating tires are hopeless at traction. Blocked tires like Blizzaks are awesome in the conditions we had.

Except for wear....

Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
My Dunlop Winter M3s were even having some issues on some of that slop - I couldn't identify some of it, it was kind of like a greasy icy frictionless sludge. And that drift in the middle of the straightaway was giving me FITS early in the session... go go go sluuuuuuuuuuuuudge spin spin.

You guys were a treat to watch. Wish someone had some video of me... on second thought, that kind of evidence I can do without!

Cold Air Intake - that's great (that's the Checkmate there!)

Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Nickyd80
Former Vendor
Hard to tell Leon,with all the ice and snow on it. Bet the intercooler had some cold air in it lol.

Was great seening GC and Jason chasing eachother around a GO KART track. Still shcoked that GC didn't have any problems with his lower suspension. Thought that would have hindered him alot bit but he kept up with Jason. Great times guys.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nickyd80
Hard to tell Leon,with all the ice and snow on it. Bet the intercooler had some cold air in it lol.

Was great seening GC and Jason chasing eachother around a GO KART track. Still shcoked that GC didn't have any problems with his lower suspension. Thought that would have hindered him alot bit but he kept up with Jason. Great times guys.
We need more! This was so much fun!

Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
I was actually sad to see the snow melt, then excited to see it come again, now sad that I can't go out to BR and rip the place up again...

Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Nickyd80
Former Vendor
Soon Leon Soon. Atleast this year we will have no problems having some new S's out for hot laps. WEEEEEE

Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I missed out on the fun...

But it was a sheet of ice here and i don't have my snow tires...lol
Great Pics!

I showed them to the SSM guys because they like the track and they said no way....but hey their from FL.

Dixon, Ice as new hood scoop mod?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Free CAI and Intercooler Cooler!