Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Front Plate in Washington

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahatma Kane
My Mini is scheduled for delivery in 2-3 months and I'm worried the dealership is going to drill the holes in the front bumper no matter what I ask them to do.
I duobt it, generally I think all (well most) of the dealers will want to make you happy. I didn't think mine would to tell you the truth, and was happy when he said that they would not do it. Just make sure to ask before they get the car in stock.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Just so you know, I have been running my 1988 Honda Civic in So. California with no front plate since it was new (18 years). I have had 3 tickets for this over that time. These tickets were all given along with something else like a parking violation, I have never been pulled over and cited solely for the missing front plate. About 6 months ago I was pulled over for having a tail light out, the cop said "I also noticed you have no front license plate, you're going to need to fix that" I said "sure, OK" and he didn't ticket me for it.
My Mini is scheduled for delivery in 2-3 months and I'm worried the dealership is going to drill the holes in the front bumper no matter what I ask them to do.
don't worry, you can tell the dealer not to put it on and they will just make you sign a waiver saying you asked them not to - so you can't blame them when and if you do get a ticket...at least that's what mine did.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm worried the dealership is going to drill the holes in the front bumper no matter what I ask them to do.
IF they say they absolutely must, have them install the aerokit holder, it places its hole on the underside of the upper bumper portion, so if you remove it then no hole visible, but if I were you I'd get the tow hook mout for the plate (a vendor een sells them pre-made, inform the dealer you have it, and then you can drive off the lot with no holes bumper, and a front plate so they are legally satisfied.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but DUH....or DER according to Carlos Mencia.....dude we are referring to washington and notcalifornia.....DER DER DER...maybe the reform bill is meant for u...lmao

Old 05-26-2006, 12:58 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AndyWSea
So now I need to write a letter to them and figure out the best way to word it.
Why don't you just write in the letter theTRUTH. Just tell them what you really think. You may be surprised at the answer as usually "honesty IS the best policy" (no kidding aside)

On the other hand, if you make up some BS story about drilling holes or other lame idea, they will probably pull pictures of ALL the other MINIs with front plates and laugh at you while they type up the denial letter.

Try being honest ... just a thought.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Mahatma Kane
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ArmyDog
but DUH....or DER according to Carlos Mencia.....dude we are referring to washington and notcalifornia.....DER DER DER...maybe the reform bill is meant for u...lmao
Sorry, just trying to relate my experience from another state that has a front plate requirement.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:54 PM
renomojo
2nd Gear
I live in NV, but bought my MINI in CA. They put on a front plate before I could tell them not too. So, I opted for a Euro plate. It was either this or two holes in the front of my car.

I've driven in NV and California for three years without a problem...in fact today I was at the DMV registering my car. The inspector said nice euro plate and handed me my papers...so I'm thinking it's not such a big deal even if it is "the Law."

Old 06-19-2006, 01:56 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cnreng
Does anyone know off hand what the thread size is for the tow hook?

I think I can make one.......
I was wondering this myself. I appreciate the work Gominigo has done, but I feel like I can make a custom one for myself for the same or less (and have a little fun with it )

Anybody know what the thread pitch is on the tow hook or where I could go to look it up??

Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Minitenango
2nd Gear
I went to a Pontiac dealer for some other service after moving from a non-front plate state to a front plate state, while I was there, I reluctantly asked them to put on a front bracket, as I was paying the bill for the other work, a guy buying a Firebird was asking about the front plate bracket and the sales guy told him, oh don't worry about it, they don't enforce that here. I just stood there with my mouth gaping open looking at the three new holes in my front bumper, Grrrrrrrrr Kudos for going through the proper authorities! I have learned my lesson and asked the dealer to leave it off.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
My MA said all I have to do is call them if I need the bracket in the event I move to a wacky state that requires 2 tags

Old 06-19-2006, 04:30 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Well, since this thread resurfaced, I did get a letter back from the state and since they said that the manufacturer makes an adaptor for the fron bumper, that I would have to have the front plate. I figure I will just go without for now, and see If I can fashion something together like the gominigo get up.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:32 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Guide holes?

I picked up my car last week from MINI of Murray. There are two tiny holes in the front bumper, which are apparently just there for when they mount the plates later. I dunno, part of me figures if there are holes there already, I might as well just put the plate there, but a bigger part of me figures that if I move to a no-front-plate state at some point, I won't like the big ugly holes left by screwing further into the guides.

So I think I'm just going to go with the no-holes towhook mount. Plus, I think it looks kind of cool with the off-center plate on the front.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I would leave out the following:

"A car rich in track racing and motoring history. The new MINI, which debuted in the United States in 2002, has been an amazing success, and because of its popularity, the value of the car has not been diminished over time. You can currently buy a new MINI for about two-thousand to three-thousand more than buying the car used. I would hate to, "

California is, unfortunately, a two plate state.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pancakex
So I think I'm just going to go with the no-holes towhook mount. Plus, I think it looks kind of cool with the off-center plate on the front.
You won't regret it. I have it and it looks great.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:19 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Thanks for the comments from the 'No Holes' owners!

BTW - that thread is very custom. Just ask my machine shop who tried several times to get it right.

Regards,

GMG

Old 08-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Revwillie
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Minitee
Good luck with that Andy!

Have you seen the "No Holes" License Plate Bracket (LPB)? I might go this route. Its expensive at $56 shipped, so I haven't ordered it yet.
Worth every penny! I installed mine in the dark, it was so easy. I'll try to take pictures this weekend.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 AM
cold aspiration
2nd Gear
I'm in Washington too! I'm planning on the no holes bracket to go into the towing hole. My dealer ( NW MINI) said that they don't even put the plates on if the customer doesn't mention anything. If we ask, then they do. So I was okay to begin with, even before I called to make sure they don't drill holes in my bumper.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Just received my No Holes from Gominigo and worth every penny. Sure I could have done it it myself, but to me writing a check was easier.

I live in a two plate state. I have my Euro plate attached to the bumper of car and my IL. plate on the no hole.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:31 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyWSea
Ok, I realize a lot of this letter is bullsh*t, but what are ya gonna do?
You're going to have to put a front license plate on your car, that's what you're going to do. Your letter will be the talk of the folks at the RMV and they will mock you relentlessly on their coffee breaks.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
WAcooperS
1st Gear
Ive had my car for over a year and only got pulled over in it once. (bored bellevue cops on memorial day) I got a lecture about needing a front plate and a warning about it being a "very expensive ticket". Instead of buying an expensive adaptor for the plate a friend found me a crappy frame at schucks with widespread mounting holes so it would fit on the stock bolt holes. That lasted only a few months tho as a large puddle seems to have overpowered the frame and taken both plate and frame. So far I have done nothing about it with no more problems or "very expensive tickets".

Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Here in Oregon, you do need plates front and rear. Several people in PDXMINI have received big tickets, my fiancé got one for $97. On our way to visit my family, she got stopped again for no front plate. She did have the plate in the front windscreen but the OSP could not see it clearly. So he pulled us over. The officer goes back to his car and calls in to check the law as she told him that she has been stopped before, did get a ticket but was told that it only has to be in the front and visible. The officer comes back and says that the law has in fact been changed. He said that the front plate "NO LONGER NEEDS TO BE ON THE FRONT MOST PART OF THE VEHICEL." He then says that the plate in the windscreen is not illegal, but that she should be prepared to be pulled over again for it. Worst part is, my Europlate was stolen and I don't even have a front plate in the windscreen. I have never been pulled over.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:39 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Figured I'd add to the thread, as I've run into some issues in WA. I picked up my MINI in Europe, where front and rear plates are required in 99.9% of the countries. Luckily, being a Florida resident, I've been able to keep a Euro Plate up in front. Since I'm currently stationed in Washington, I've run into a few Troopers/Sheriffs here that see me pull up (like when they do DUI sweeps) and pull out their pads to write up the ticket. They get p.o.'d when I pull out my DL & Reg because it says "FLORIDA". I've been told that I have to register my vehicle in the State I'm stationed (I don't, they just want the taxes). I think one Deputy almost had a hissie fit when he realized he had no legal right to give me a citation.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 PM
MiniMork
1st Gear
As far as having front plates in Washington, I will tell you we have a fleet of press vehicles that we drive everyday and none of the vehicles have front plates (for photography). In the 10 years I have worked for this company, we have only had one officer ask about it. So in theory you can get away with it until you are caught! :-)