Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

We need another get together!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I've got a few ideas.

For starters, we need a late November/early December cruise-in. I was thinking about either going to Mike's in Oregon City (or I think there is one on SE McLaughlin in Milwaukie), which is an old time drive in burger place, OR to a drive in movie in Newberg. Either way we could meet somewhere convenient and then motor to the final location. Personally, I'd love to just have a get together at the burger drive in later this month and then cruise to a movie in early December.

Now then, I also have been thinking about a little poker rally in late December or early January. Leaning towards January due to the extent of the setup needed for this event. I'm going to be in contact with local merchants (like mini-madness.com and what not) and Rasmussen MINI. Want to have a good supply of sponsorship prizes. This is going to be a big event, hopefully. I'll need at least one other helper to make this happen.

As for the cruise-ins, I'd be happy to organize those.

So speak up and tell me what you think!!

Gee, am I working on becoming the event coordinator for the PDX MINI Cooper Club, or what!?

R

Old 11-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Minor update per the poker rally:

Mark from minicooperonline (mferguson) has informed me/us that if we get 10+ people confirmed for the rally that we can get some minicooperonline T shirts and he'll contact MOSS MINI about some prizes.

So let's hear some interest y'all!

R

Old 11-11-2002, 02:16 PM
8ball
6th Gear
You're looking at a busy time of year ... I can't think of a better way to decompress than a bit of low-altitude flying!

Old 11-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Just found an AWESOME place for the cruise-in. A&W restaurant on Orient Ave in Boring OR has the old drive up and eat bays...and apparently still employs roller skating waitresses!! I'm SO down to check it out! We could meet locally and then cruise out via the backroads.

Who's game?

Oh, and I still need a helper for the January rally. Hint, hint.

R

Old 11-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
Hey Ryan,
This sounds great! Count us in. Let us know what you need help with.
K&K :smile:

Old 11-12-2002, 12:38 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Howdy from Japan!

On my way back to the states tomorrow and had a minute to check out the posts. Even though I won't have my MINI until spring it would be great to finally meet you all so count me in for the December A&W "eat and run".

So far I have seen only 3 new MINI's in Japan but I have seen at least 20 old Mini's and they are all in perfect shape. If you haven't been to Japan before there are absolutely no junkers (at least in the high-end neighborhood my future in-laws apartment is in) and most drive Mercedes or Porsches (there are 4 GT3's on the block as well as an F40 and a DB7 Vantage as daily drivers!)

Waiting to hear from Karen at SLC to place my order hopefully by the end of November.

Hope to see ya'll soon.

Sayonora -

Old 11-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
This sounds great... I hope I have Winnie by mid December.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
So an early/mid December cruise to A&W in Boring OR is going to work? Cool!

R

Old 11-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Racegun
1st Gear
>>Ok, so I've got a few ideas.
>>
>>For starters, we need a late November/early December cruise-in. I was thinking about either going to Mike's in Oregon City (or I think there is one on SE McLaughlin in Milwaukie), which is an old time drive in burger place, OR to a drive in movie in Newberg. Either way we could meet somewhere convenient and then motor to the final location. Personally, I'd love to just have a get together at the burger drive in later this month and then cruise to a movie in early December.
>>
>>Now then, I also have been thinking about a little poker rally in late December or early January. Leaning towards January due to the extent of the setup needed for this event. I'm going to be in contact with local merchants (like mini-madness.com and what not) and Rasmussen MINI. Want to have a good supply of sponsorship prizes. This is going to be a big event, hopefully. I'll need at least one other helper to make this happen.

So.....What kind of help do you think you would need for the poker rally, perhaps I can lend a hand or two.
>>
>>As for the cruise-ins, I'd be happy to organize those.
>>
>>So speak up and tell me what you think!!
>>
>>R

Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Racegun and Kimini1,

I'm going to need some help planing a route and composing the layout of the rally (ie Time/Distance, Scavenger Hunt, Questions from roadside attractions,etc).

R

Old 11-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
Sounds good Ryan. You should have my # (the member roster from the last meeting) Give me a call and we'll hammer out the details.

Old 11-13-2002, 05:15 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Sounds good Ryan. You should have my # (the member roster from the last meeting) Give me a call and we'll hammer out the details.
>>

Will do! Going thru some personal dental hell at the moment though. Will most likely call you next week to start the brainstorming process. Most of my week has already been scheduled at the dentist. Ouch.

R

Old 11-13-2002, 08:02 AM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
Ouch is right! Sorry to hear that. Next week is better for me anyway...take care!

Old 11-15-2002, 09:45 AM
MINIJarid
1st Gear
Sounds great!! Only one thing....Sunday please!! I would love to go but gotta help out our fellow MINI enthusiasts on Saturdays here at the dealership. Keep me posted guys!!

Old 11-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Will definitely be on a Sunday to allow Ann (Rasmussen Service) and Jarid (Rasmussen Sales) to come.

Looking like early December for the cruise-in at the A&W. And the rally appears to be targeted for early January. I have been in contact with Ann about getting rally assistance from Rasmussen. Apparently they want to do a rally, too. So it sounds like we are going to partner up, Rasmussen and PDX MINI Cooper Club, that is. Stay tuned for more details, but the feelers are out!

R

Old 11-15-2002, 04:19 PM
Racegun
1st Gear
>>Will definitely be on a Sunday to allow Ann (Rasmussen Service) and Jarid (Rasmussen Sales) to come.
>>
>>Looking like early December for the cruise-in at the A&W. And the rally appears to be targeted for early January. I have been in contact with Ann about getting rally assistance from Rasmussen. Apparently they want to do a rally, too. So it sounds like we are going to partner up, Rasmussen and PDX MINI Cooper Club, that is. Stay tuned for more details, but the feelers are out!
>>
>>R

Hmmmm..........."feelers" do you guys remember those things? My grandpa had them on the passengers side of his Olds Delta 88.

Anyways.......I can help with the rally in my "free" time, what a joke. Let's get a list of tasks together and I'll bite off the pieces I can handle.

Also I don't know if I had mentioned this before but I have Web Development/Design skillz and the Toolz as well. Just gimme a server to serve the site on, somebody to do some digital art and write some copy and some I'll come up with an idea or two for layouts. I'd serve the site on one of my servers here but my uptime would suck.

----Ciao

P.S. As a plug for Ann and Jarid at Rasmussen, they are the shiznit (I'm really not as young as that statement makes me sound). I had to have the electronic throttle control replaced and they did it quite deftly.

Old 11-15-2002, 06:59 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Ryan,

Very nice work pulling everything together!

Old 11-15-2002, 07:02 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Racegun,

What specs would you need on the server? I'm a Systems Admin and do purchasing, networking and OS maint. I won't get anything new but I may come across something old that would work...I could probably "donate" it to the server the good of the club. Do you have a site to host it?

Old 11-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Racegun
1st Gear
>>Racegun,
>>
>>What specs would you need on the server? I'm a Systems Admin and do purchasing, networking and OS maint. I won't get anything new but I may come across something old that would work...I could probably "donate" it to the server the good of the club. Do you have a site to host it?

I don't need the box I have got lots-o-computers (I'm an MCSE on the side, it payed the bills once) what I need is a host to put the server for a co-locate or we could do a virtual server, shared server somewhere. The one's that come to mind are Easystreet (which is right here in town), Verio, Hostway, Fatcow...............whatever you get my point. I can't host it here on my cable connection is my point and I can't host it at work so........if somebody has the stuff we need at work then cool. We'd need a location with a DNS server of course, somebody that would give us one of their IP's, preferably on a Linux RedHat box running Apache, we may need an SQL server, or if you wanna get really cool and fancy we could just do the whole in Flash and host it on a flash server (just like MINIusa.com).

I have the skills and the software, all we need is a host w/ a box to put the stuff on. Like I said if anyone's employer has a fast connection (T1 or better) and they would let us host a site off of it then cool, I have enough computers and components to "frankenstein" a server if needed.

The only other way would be to collect dues and pay for a host.

Ciao

Old 11-16-2002, 01:51 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Whoa Racegun, you sure went over my head quickly!! Ha!

Do we need to buy http://www.pdxminicooperclub.com or something? *.net, *.com and *.org are all available last time I checked.

I'm really glad we have people like Racegun and PDX_MINI in the club, as I'm a total moron when it comes to advanced computing...and we need a website! So I'll stick to things tactile, and plan events. Ok? HA!!!

As per the rally, the major things we need to setup/accomplish are:

-Sponsors! I would love to have some fun prizes for people to win, as well as get connected with the various local vendors.

-Attendance! The more MINIs the better. I've talked with Ann @ Rasmussen about putting out flyers in both the MINI sales and service areas. We want a large draw. Might even try to get flyers at NW MINI in Tacoma put out, so we get a true NW attendance. We had several Seattle and Vancouver BC attendees at the Bridge Run that it only makes sense to invite the Pugent Sound area MINI owners as well.

-Trip routing! This is going to be kept to only a couple of people, so as not to ruin any suprises. Kim has graceously offered to help, so I think I'll take her up on that!

-When? Since there is a possibility of co-teaming with Rasmussen, this will be up to them to some degree as well, but it will most likely be a sunday, so as to allow for Rasmussen staff to attend.

There is going to be alot of little details to setup as well, but those will naturally fall into place once the big stuff is taken care of.

R

2002 Darksilver/Black Cooper S

Old 11-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Racegun
1st Gear
>>Whoa Racegun, you sure went over my head quickly!! Ha!
>>
>>Do we need to buy http://www.pdxminicooperclub.com or something? *.net, *.com and *.org are all available last time I checked.
>>
>>I'm really glad we have people like Racegun and PDX_MINI in the club, as I'm a total moron when it comes to advanced computing...and we need a website! So I'll stick to things tactile, and plan events. Ok? HA!!!
>>
>>As per the rally, the major things we need to setup/accomplish are:
>>
>>-Sponsors! I would love to have some fun prizes for people to win, as well as get connected with the various local vendors.
>>
>>-Attendance! The more MINIs the better. I've talked with Ann @ Rasmussen about putting out flyers in both the MINI sales and service areas. We want a large draw. Might even try to get flyers at NW MINI in Tacoma put out, so we get a true NW attendance. We had several Seattle and Vancouver BC attendees at the Bridge Run that it only makes sense to invite the Pugent Sound area MINI owners as well.
>>
>>-Trip routing! This is going to be kept to only a couple of people, so as not to ruin any suprises. Kim has graceously offered to help, so I think I'll take her up on that!
>>
>>-When? Since there is a possibility of co-teaming with Rasmussen, this will be up to them to some degree as well, but it will most likely be a sunday, so as to allow for Rasmussen staff to attend.
>>
>>There is going to be alot of little details to setup as well, but those will naturally fall into place once the big stuff is taken care of.
>>
>>R
>>
>>_________________
>>
>>
>>2002 Darksilver/Black Cooper S

I can help with flyers and routing. Well need to get the flyers printed/copied which means money to do so???? Anybody know where the grenn stuff is coming from?

Ciao

Old 11-17-2002, 12:41 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
I won't be able to host the site here at my office. While we have servers and a T1, the business I am in is highly sensitive and opening up routes in my firewall would get me in a serious amount of trouble. Sounds like you definitely have the skills needed (me, I still do the MCSE stuff and have not dabbled in web design at all) so maybe Ryan can bring up a funding of the site to the group (the more people the cheaper it would be to host the site per person - I like the Easystreet idea myself). It would definitely be a not-for-profit venture if each person was willing to lend their expertise in whatever field they are in. We would need to purchase the site name which is relatively cheap (Verisign is $35/year for the name only to $129/year with email addresses (yourname@pdxminicooperclub.com), web site hosting, etc).
Lots to talk about at the next meeting obviously.