Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Has anyone rebuilt an engine?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone rebuilt an engine?

I was wondering if anyone here has rebuilt an engine here. I was curious because i want to look into rebuilding my mom's old Mercedes E320 engine myself...its probably not worth it but it has sentimental value to me. Its by no-means slow, either, and i want to squeeze some more power out of it.

If you have, do you have any good resources that i may look at? any tips? how much money(ballpark) will i most likely have to spend?

any help is appreciated, thanks a lot
Marco

Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
The E320 is a wonderful car - I miss mine a lot - they were so much better than the crap Mercedes is churning out today. You should get 200,000 miles + out of that engine without a problem. Does it need "rebuilt" because it is damaged and/or worn or are you looking for performance? I have rebuilt dozens of engines over the years but I have to warn you about working on a Mercedes - LOTS of special tools are required and lots of $$$$$$$$.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah what's your tool situation? I've wanted to do it on my old Saturn for a while just so I have the experiance of actually doing it undermy belt. But even those tools are whats holding me back (and a proper shop). I may end up having to replace all the seals this spring anyway (Head is leaking and causeing oil to get all over the spark plugs in one cyl.) so I make still have to do it.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've rebuild countless engines. As for the Merc, it's not hugely different from any other motor, but in general MB engines need quite a few more specialized tools than other brands. Depending on the motor, you'll need special drivers for the head bolts, and tools to deal with overhead cams. Also, if memory serves me, there are more instances of 12-point fasteners to contend with. The latter is no big deal. My suggestion is to pick up a service manual for the car and do some studying. Make a list of the special tools that cannot be substituted and research where these can be procured. If you get in good with a MB mechanic, he might let you borrow some of the tools as needed.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
The E320 is a wonderful car - I miss mine a lot - they were so much better than the crap Mercedes is churning out today. You should get 200,000 miles + out of that engine without a problem. Does it need "rebuilt" because it is damaged and/or worn or are you looking for performance? I have rebuilt dozens of engines over the years but I have to warn you about working on a Mercedes - LOTS of special tools are required and lots of $$$$$$$$.
As you said, it is a fantastic car, with a great engine. I want to rebuild to restore some of its lost vitality and so i can try to get more performance out of it in the future.

Originally Posted by Motor On
Yeah what's your tool situation? I've wanted to do it on my old Saturn for a while just so I have the experiance of actually doing it undermy belt. But even those tools are whats holding me back (and a proper shop). I may end up having to replace all the seals this spring anyway (Head is leaking and causeing oil to get all over the spark plugs in one cyl.) so I make still have to do it.
My tool situation is pathetic at best. I dont even have a place to attempt the rebuild. Right now its only an idea, but i would really like to go through with it before i die...(preferably in the near future).

Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM
twalling
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
but i would really like to go through with it before i die...(preferably in the near future).
Uh, you don't really mean that do you?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Originally Posted by twalling
Uh, you don't really mean that do you?
haha that must have come out wrong. i meant that id rather go through with the rebuild sooner than later, not die...theres just so much left i have to dolol:.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually rebuilding an engine is easy. IF...

You have all the correct tools and the money to spend on parts and machine work.

If you have never rebuilt an engine before, I would strongly recommend finding a class on engine rebuilding at a local community college (don't use your Mercedes engine as your class project though, they'll usually have three of you working on the same engine).

Once you have that behind you, you have a much better grasp of all that goes into rebuilding your Mercedes engine.