Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Road Rage?

Old 01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDMINI
CHOWS, remember it's not the speed that kills, it's the rapid LOSS of speed...it wouldn't be the first time I woke up the offender with a sharp deceleration...
Wow, doing that sort of thing you are going to wake up with disc problems after someone rear ends you hard or wake up in the hospital when you screw with the wrong person... I hope you don't do that with passengers in the car, really its not worth the danger to yourself and others just to get some kind of satisfaction messing with them.

I don't agree with close tailgaiting (esp when you are in a vehicle that cannot stop well) but you never really know why someone might be in a rush, it could be an emergency, its just best to let them go.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:16 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eVal
it could be an emergency, its just best to let them go.
Oh, I'm sure they are NOT on any emergency call. It's their accident, but that isn't going to happen either. If they can't maintain a safe following distance, oh well. It's just a wake up call reserved for those especially obnoxious offenders. Usually these days I just end up going slower and slower until they just have to "escape" somehow. FUNNY STUFF, really. Radical braking was in my youth. I guess I have just had way too many motorcycle accidents to worry about a car crash...In fact with the MINI this is the first time I've been off a moto for more than a day or so since 1982. I've been around the block a few times since I started driving in the 1960's.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
By driving slow I assume you mean driving below the speed limit. Although all states are different, I think some have speed limit signs that show the "minimum" speed for the road (e.g., minimum speed 40 mph). However, Where is there a law that driving slow is a law other than what I just mentioned?

The Road Ragers are those on the bumbers of people doing 55 in a 55 zone IN the left lane because THEY THINK they have the RIGHT to driver faster, when, IN FACT, they do not.
I would like to just make an observation...that the fact that driving in the left lane and not passing anyone is usually illegal in most states to begin with. As well as passing on the right, is illegal...in most states.

Now, I am not condoning tailgating to get someone going "slower" than I or anyone else for the purpose of intimidation or whatever...but if you are on the road, and NOT passing anyone, get out of the left lane!

Just my two cents to this conversation...

Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Born2Slow
I would like to just make an observation...that the fact that driving in the left lane and not passing anyone is usually illegal in most states to begin with. As well as passing on the right, is illegal...in most states.

Now, I am not condoning tailgating to get someone going "slower" than I or anyone else for the purpose of intimidation or whatever...but if you are on the road, and NOT passing anyone, get out of the left lane!

Just my two cents to this conversation...

Old 01-04-2006, 07:36 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Just thought I'd share a law here...

In Germany on the Autobahn and other roads you can get a HEAVY fine for either being in the passing lane and not passing or for making road ragish gestures. When I say heavy I mean it. The German exchange student in my english class said it can be as high as 800 Euros or 970 U.S. Dollars. He said you can get a ticket/fine of near this amount by just raising your arms/shoulders in the gesture of "what were you thinking?" I think we need that law in America, don't you?

Mikey

Old 01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
The Road Ragers are those on the bumbers of people doing 55 in a 55 zone IN the left lane because THEY THINK they have the RIGHT to driver faster, when, IN FACT, they do not.
Come On Granny just please move over when you see me in your rear view mirror.

What I hate more than anything are those "keepers of the law" who drive the speed limit in the fast lane & think it is their duty to the world to block speeders & ensure that no one else can get past them & speed.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
hyobum
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Just thought I'd share a law here...

In Germany on the Autobahn and other roads you can get a HEAVY fine for either being in the passing lane and not passing or for making road ragish gestures. When I say heavy I mean it. The German exchange student in my english class said it can be as high as 800 Euros or 970 U.S. Dollars. He said you can get a ticket/fine of near this amount by just raising your arms/shoulders in the gesture of "what were you thinking?" I think we need that law in America, don't you?

Mikey
Funny you should mention this, last night I was watching Modern Marvels on the History channel which featured the Auto Bahn. It is surprising but yes, they DO have fines for angry gestures. They also fine people differently according to their income. Someone who was a very rich guy was ticketed for $20,000 for speeding in a part of the Auto Bahn where there is a speed restriction.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
CD, what are you just looking for a fight on the road? Your comments pretty much prove that. Don't take this the wrong way but chill out man, its not your duty to go out and teach people a lesson. If someone is tailgating you just let them by, no big deal. Its not worth it.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Years ago when I had my 83 Gti I was on the freeway cruising around 11pm and another VW with several people pulled up next to me. They were giving me nasty looks so I sped up all of a sudden I heard several loud thumps on the side of the car I was thinking WTF I knew they threw something but was't sure what. I dropped it a gear sped up in front of them. I opened my sunroof and my friend took a handful of change and threw it out........going about 70mph I'm sure it did some damage. I took an exit and pulled over. It turns out they shot my car three times with a paintball gun. I had orange paint all over my black car........good thing it wasnt a real gun. This wasn't even a case of road rage...just someone fooling around.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats simply not true. See http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Only six states have restrictions for the left lane. The VAST majority have none at all.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
Thats simply not true. See http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Only six states have restrictions for the left lane. The VAST majority have none at all.
Okay, I stand corrected about the "absolutely" must stay right unless passing comment...but unless I am reading it wrong, MOST states require:

quoted from your link...

"Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower", with an asterisk and an explanation under "comments" if vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic."

Old 01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
If its a law or not has nothing to do with it. Its common sense, something people lack these days.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bambam
If its a law or not has nothing to do with it. Its common sense, something people lack these days.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
These are listed as "slower", with an asterisk and an explanation under "comments" if vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic."

Only five states had "*" hardly a majority. I was only pointing out that it was NOT a law. Rather, they are old rules ... that may have been true years ago

Same is true for passing on the right. I believe that now the majority of the states its perfectly legal to pass on the right

Old 01-05-2006, 05:36 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Hmmm...so there was this guy today driving an Expedition in the left lane on a two lane exit from a major interstate that's about 5 lanes across at that point. The two lanes split off this interstate and turn into a highway. The speed limit is 65mph on this highway. The guy in the left lane was doing about 50 and had probably at least half a mile of car to car traffic in both lanes behind him. In front of him was wide open road. He was making the traffic on the major interstate slam on their brakes and have to slow down to 40mph and hope they don't get rear-ended. A friggin cement truck even passed this guy on the right!About 2 or 3 miles later I was able to work my way up to him in the right lane, got behind him, and gave him some nice horn music for about a quarter mile. The idiot still wouldn't move, so I passed him on the right, got in front of him, slowed down to about 40 and put my right blinker on. He still wouldn't move!So I took off and I looked behind and when I was about half a mile away he finally moved over...probably for his exit. Stupid, idiotic Texas SUV drivers. Don't people look behind them? I think you would notice that much traffic behind you and if you had some common sense you'd get the heck out of the way.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Just another day, in the left lane.

Today, I was behind an SUV to turn right onto the 4 lane. They immediately got in the left (#1) lane. It was light traffic, no cars close behind. I followed (in the right lane) almost all the way to my left turn off, then eased ahead of LLL, signaled left and kept it on, then slowed down just before merging into my turn lane. That clown never moved to the right lane. I bet I could come to a complete stop before they think of passing on my right! They're thick!!

Old 01-06-2006, 07:42 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Whats funny is that a lot of the reactions to those "idiots" drivers in the "fast lane" is exactly the definition of RR.

"People easily grow tired of the "idiots" they see on roads every day. Many develop road rage by giving in to their own frustration.
The only problem with giving in to road rage is that it can often get you into a lot of trouble. Others can be just as enraged as you are, and their reaction to you may be down right dangerous."
http://www.roadragers.com/
Seems like some folks are on the verge of letting the "idiots" cause them to go over the edge. I wonder how many of the RRers are also Type A personalities.

I started this thread to find "victoms" of RR, not people "frustrated" with idiots. Some had good stories. If you feel "frustrated" ... chill out, relax, slow down, wherever you are going will still be there (not trying to preach, only keep you alive). Be safe.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
Kind of on a side note here. I listen to all types of music and enjoy all types very much. However I notice I am most relaxed and could care less about other drivers when I listen to some type of Jazz. Its funny becuase it took me yrs to realize this. It just seems to relax my head.
Now when I put some System of Down in, I'm ready to defend my lane!
Ok, carry on with the topic!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KarenTKD
What I can't accept are those drivers who deliberately mess with me just because I'm in a MINI. I'm not talking about teenagers looking to race or grandparents slowing down to gawk; those I can ignore. I'm talking about those drivers who swerve directly at me, or tailgate so close that I can smell their breath, or get in front of me and play brake games by constantly slamming on the brakes for no reason. None of those things happened when I owned a Hyundai, and I object to being a target based on my car choice.

I usually do defensive things like taking a different street or heading for the police station. But the day that I have an accident because someone wants to dink with my MINI is the day I re-define road rage.
That's interesting. I am in Michigan as well (I96, I696, 65 miles a day) and although you would think that, in this state, your experience would be typical I have not have this problem.

I am a speed limit, center lane, driver and always get smiles and waves from people, especially younger drivers. I have never have any rage directed at me. I have seen rage in my other cars, but none since the MINI. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 PM
KarenTKD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
That's interesting. I am in Michigan as well (I96, I696, 65 miles a day) and although you would think that, in this state, your experience would be typical I have not have this problem.

I am a speed limit, center lane, driver and always get smiles and waves from people, especially younger drivers. I have never have any rage directed at me. I have seen rage in my other cars, but none since the MINI. Maybe I'm just lucky.
It's a west side of the state problem. I grew up in the Metro Detroit area, and visit several times a year, and while the traffic is more congested, there is far less stupidity and maliciousness. I was shocked when I first moved out here 10 years ago, and it took a while to adjust. Grand Rapids is worse than Holland for maliciousness, but Holland is worse for overly slow drivers.

Part of the problem is most people out here never took any type of drivers ed; they learned just enough to pass the test and then promptly forgot everything they learned. Few people have any idea how to turn into a parking lot using a left-turn lane; most come to a dead stop in the middle of traffic (without signaling, I might add), and then make a left turn across the left-turn lane into the lot. One friend thought I was pulling her leg when I mentioned that not signaling a turn is a ticketable offense....."Oh, that's not illegal. It's just an optional courtesy." Another friend says he always drives 10 under the speed limit (no matter what the limit actually is) to save on gas, and plus, "You never know when you might hit a deer." And these are people I know and like!

Oh, and most parents buy their kids a car, even if it's just a junker, when the kids turn 16. Kids don't borrow their parents cars, they have their own cars, and EVERYONE drives, good, bad, or otherwise. And with so many high school sophomores on the road, there is a lot more road play.

I get my waves and thumbs up, but I got to take the bad with the good. You definitely have it lucky!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:04 PM
mcswrks
6th Gear
I do have to admit, my last two cases of road rage have been quite fun! They were in which off road vehicles have gotten upset (for reasons i dont know, honestly), and have attempted to chase me....on very curvy roads...

It was such an emergency I had to violate the speed limit...by quite a bit. Although i will admit to letting the p'od suv driver catch up before taking off again.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
The best is when the person behind you feels it is necessary to tailgate, honk, flash headlights, thrash arms about, etc....when you yourself are stuck behind one or more cars...

What exactly would they like you to do about this predicament??

I wonder if anyone has done any kind of psychological "testing" of a large sample of drivers in different situations....

Chows4us you seem good at finding info online...can you find anything??

Old 01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
The best is when the person behind you feels it is necessary to tailgate, honk, flash headlights, thrash arms about, etc....when you yourself are stuck behind one or more cars...

Chows4us you seem good at finding info online...can you find anything??
Not that instance but I think its tied to

"Some of our driving behavior may stem from our innate territoriality."
http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/str...a/roadrage.htm

This is a good article about how people have a need to feel like its "their" territory... especially like the part about
"A recent study found that motorists take significantly longer to leave a parking place if someone else is waiting for it We seem to be saying "I have this space right now, and I won't give it up until I'm ready." Driving slowly in the "fast lane" seems to be conveying a similar message."

Old 01-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
"Some of our driving behavior may stem from our innate territoriality."

I'm in the process of reading the link but at 80 MPH from the 2 ft in front and the 1 ft behind me I like to consider my territory. That said I just finished a 1300 mile drive today, and came across MANY drivers who had no respect for their saftey my safety of any other driver around them. I have learned to deal with these people by speeding up or slowing down to get away from these people ASAP. I don't feel that this is related to my driving a MINI or my driving style. both have varied. I did get to prove that both the ABS and supercharger work very well. I recieved many glares for puttering along with the surrounding traffic in the center lane, to which I return a smile and a wave. I delt with people on phones, people with RR, people who didn't care what was going on around them. I had a state police officer sitting at a rest stop race to catch up with me, get so close that I couldn't see his head lights, to which I dropped from the speed limit to the min. speed (by process of downshifting) and waved...he got off at the next exit. If there was an emergency he could have gone around or flashed his lights it was an empty road at 3am and he was on me for a mile. In all of this the most common thing that happened to me was moving at the average speed of traffic I found that many cars I would approach going about 5mph faster that them then as I was passing or immediately after passing them they would speed up and match me resulting in blocking the center/right lane or tailgating, I guess the just wanted a better view of my beautiful MINI (who really needs to be washed).
If any body has a chance to see the Modern Marvels about the autobahn again take note of the statistics, the laws in germany a stricter about road rage, and the fines are generally higher, but the BIG saftey point is despite the much higher speeds german roads are safer and suffer fewer casualties that American roads so please write your local congressperson/senator and get them to pass similar laws to save LIVES because when it comes down to it if your are killed by someone who was late to work, wanted to prove something about their car, or just wasn't paying attention you will be equaly as DEAD. Sure its frusturating if you get tailgated cutoff or otherwise, trust me I know, but I have also learned that I need to get away from "idots", RRs and unattentive drivers and be aware of everything around me so I can get from point A to point B safely. I don't think that means I have RR but if it does then so be it. Now let the flaming begin.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
I find myself getting runn off the road about once a day sometimes more by people either not looking, no caring, being reckless. Do I do anything besides slamming on my brakes? or slamming on the accelerator? nope.. I just get out of the way and in a safe enviroment either infront of behind the problem. Within the past 2 weeks I have been forced into drastic action by semis, trucks, cars, WORST ONE medical personel.... they really need HEAVY fines for people breaking the laws recklessly. The next person that decides to ignore me in MY lane is going to get a fight BACK and pay for MY car because of their supidity. Instead of me swerving and hitting someone else or something else! Its not like our cars are short!!! they are taller than most cars just shorter but if you use a mirror or you LOOK you can SEE a car!

-Josh

Quick Reply: Road Rage?