Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

VW's Struggle with Quality-Control

Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to the J.D. Power Site and dug up the survey. Here is the IQS Ranking for all manufacturers:

MINI was at the break point between the 3rd and 4th Quartile. We don't have any MINI owners with 3 years of ownership yet, so no ranking for MINI there. That said, here we are in 2004 and MINI is still having problems getting close to the industry average for initial quality. As a 2002 MINI owner I had higher hopes for MINI after the initial teething was done on the first year of production.

One of those buyers who doesn't plan to re-up with VW is Sandy Goroff, a Boston book publicist and disgruntled owner of a 2004 Passat wagon. Her car often lurches like it's been hit from behind after she exits a highway and drives slower on suburban streets.

VW officials don't deny the issue exists but haven't been able to fix it and at one point suggested she was driving the car too conservatively. A former Audi owner, she has been negotiating for a replacement.

"They've done about everything they can to negate my brand loyalty," Goroff says.
Stumble and yo-yo come to mind.

"Our powertrains and engineering continue to be rock solid, but it has always been the stuff we rely on suppliers for or take for granted, like a radio or window, that haunts us," Hunt says.
Strange how windows are a source of problems for some manufacturers. You'd think they would have some experience with those by now.

VW's window problem were different from MINI's. In VW's case the window regulator broke, causing the window to slide down into the door.

But changes are on the way. Hunt can do little about the redesigned GTI, Jetta and Passat, all due next year.
Seeing VW institute this type of a program very late in the current generation of cars doesn't give me much hope for much change in the early MK5 cars and the B6 Passat.

Though VW's scores are falling, many consumers still perceive its quality to be higher than it is.
Hopefully MINI can pull things together here while it's still in the middle of the production cycle.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:03 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird.

I have a 99 Passat with 122,000 miles on it. Still gets the job done.

My neighbors have a 2nd generation Passat that's been on the verge of getting lemon-lawed for a while. The dealer's taken it apart and put it back together multiple times.

So what the heck happened in the last five years?

Old 05-13-2004, 09:36 AM
dandp
6th Gear
I had a '99 GTI, and always felt the build quality on it was superior to my MINI. Obviously, the MINI handled far better....but the GTI was solid inside, what I expected from a German / European car.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:55 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The MK4 Golf/Jetta/GTI/NB has had a few major problems: window regulators, MAF sensors, and coilpacks on the 1.8T.

Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM
C4
Banned
On that J.D. Powers list I am surprised to see how low the new Scions have scored (They are Toyota products). So it seems that there is some truth about the lack of substantial quality from these Japan, Inc econoboxes.

VW's quality problems are nothing new. Dr. Piech (A very brilliant but mad man) did both good and bad to the VW Group. VW's problems symbolize the typical German arrogance of we "can do no wrong" that is not only haunting them, but Mercedes Benz and BMW alike.

The cocky attitude of German manufacturers today has an eerie resemblance to that of General Motors over 30 years ago and you all know what happened to the General after that.

Read today's http://www.autoextremist.com for further insight in the sorry state of affairs at Chrysler-Daimler and the German car industry in general.

Sttugart: We have a problem....

http://www.minisofmiami.com

Old 05-13-2004, 03:07 PM
C4
Banned
I am also pleased to see that MINI has been able to pull from the bottom of the barrel in this year's J.D. Powers initial quality scores.

VW and Hummer are still in the same place as last year...no change. The Koreans (Hyundai) are kicking butt. Scion at the bottom and much lower than MINI.

Some good discussion material here...thanks Dave!

Old 05-13-2004, 03:19 PM
C4
Banned
Dave, you have to give credit where credit is due. MINI has improved as that's what REALLY matters. Look at VW which is currently building fairly old cars and still has problems galore or Hummer which builds only 2 models and the H2 is a spinoff of the GM full size truck platform used on everything they make.

I would like to see what are the problems reported. I gave my '04 MCS a A+ report card back in January when J.D sent me the 90-day ownership survey. In fact, my '04 MCS has not seen the dealership for any kind of repair or warranty work in 8K miles and 8 months of service. The '04 MCS has the '02 Cooper CVT beat in number of unscheduled dealer visits (Mostly for software updates and the like).

That list is alarming...what the heck happened to Porsche? Is the hideous Cayenne destroying thier initial QC scores? What about Scion, products from the can do no wrong Toyota empire? Look at Toyota, Honda an Acura all fallen drastically from last year's positions.

Nissan and Mazda are also way down at the bottom of the gutter.

So, what does that say to you?

Old 05-13-2004, 03:23 PM
C4
Banned
Interesting to note that last year's "indsutry average" used to be 149 problems per 100 cars. Now the bar has been raised to 119 problems per 100 cars. MINI currently stands at 142 problems per 100 cars. I think MINI last year scored at over 180 problems per 100 cars. So to me, MINI has made a significant jump up with initial QC scores.

Evidently, the bar has been raised this year.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:15 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had three company VWs a 1995 Golf 1.9 diesel (sloooooooow); a 1996 Golf 2.0 Gasoline (fast enough to get out of its own way), a 1995 Passat 1.9 Turbo diesel (not quick off the line, but had great cruising velocity); and one personally owned VW a 2000 GTI VR-6 (fassssst). Quality was never an issue on any of these cars. They all worked exceptionally well. Shame to see VW has lost its way.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:31 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Dave, you have to give credit where credit is due. MINI has improved as that's what REALLY matters.<<

Call me a whiner, but I disagree. I think 5-speed transmissions are important. They're putting a better 5-speed in the '05s, but they're leaving existing owners high and dry. I think windshields are important. Same problem. I think engine software is pretty important, too. Plenty of our cars have been back over and over again for the same idling/stalling/yoyo issues.

>>I would like to see what are the problems reported.<<

I would, too!

>>In fact, my '04 MCS has not seen the dealership for any kind of repair or warranty work in 8K miles and 8 months of service.<<

You're lucky. It's that simple.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
dandp
6th Gear
I really hope that MINI does get it's problems sorted out. With some of the weird warranty issues I had (specifically 2 seals replaced), I had an almost ticking time bomb feeling about the car. And I felt I was lucky not to get any windshield problems.

The whole thing that triggered my search for a new car was sitting in the VW R32 at the NY Auto Show. The build quality of the interior reminded me of what I liked about my GTI, and it started me looking at quite a few different cars. I realize this is different than a manufacturer's reliability - and many point out that they would prefer to drive the MINI with it's better handling and styling, but if it comes down to style & handling versus reliability and long term peace of mind....some are going to get tired of seeing the service department and taking vacation days to "bond" with them.