Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Simple Review: BMW

Old 02-11-2004, 09:08 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
We started doing this in the 5-series wagon thread, but I thought it might be fun to have this as it's own subject.

Specifically, what is your take on each product line offered by the manufacturer.

Originally posted by Ryephile:
1-series; yuk
3-series; drool!
X3; stupid
Z4; ok when moving
5-series; yuk
5-wagon; cool
X5 - it's trying to eat me!
6-series; yuk
7-series; its aight
Originally posted by DiD:
1-series; Could be good in hatchback form
3-series; New 3 looks great (if the spy shots are to be believed)
X3; I like it.
Z4; ok in Red with the top down
5-series; Still not working for me
5-wagon; Better than the sedan
X5 - old and it shows
6-series; The coupe is great, the convertible doesn't look that great by comparison
7-series; hate the 7.
Originally posted by zfxr:
1 series- Buy a Mini!
3 series- cool... mmmm, 3 series compact with M3 engine???
X3- no no no no no!!!
5 series- maybe an M5, maybe
5 series wagon- **** yeah!
X5- ummm your not cool soccer mommy...
6 series- dig it, but whats with the trunk???
7 series- like the new "sport" version (SWB, V12), but i'd
rather have an RS6...
Originally posted by Gabe:
1-series; Love it so far - too bad we're only getting the 4 door and the 2 door (no hatches planned at this time)
3-series; Love the current E46 despite it being a little heavier than I'd like. Especially love the wagon
X3; Drive really well. Interior dissapointed in some cases. Love the sunroof.
Z4; Love it.
5-series; Currently the best looking BMW product - absolutely love the exterior design. Driving dynamics are incredible once you're used to the active steering (turn in is as sharp as the MINI at low speeds)
5-wagon; The smart SUV alternative
X5 - Bloated but certainly one of the better mid-sized SUVs. Also worst advertising compaigne of any BMW in recent memory.
6-series; In photos it's nice - in person is just blows me away.
7-series; love the current design and the sport models really look impressive. But the A8 (non 12 cylinder) is also impressive.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Parklife
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1-series - Swoopy, bloated styling doesn't work on a small-car platform. I'm sure it will drive "right", but from what's been seen it's irretrievably vulgar
3-series - The current E46 is looking slightly dated, but I still have to carry something in front of me to walk around after looking at a M3. I'd sell my soul for a 325xi wagon.
X3 - Nice drivetrain. That's about it. An interior of similar materials can be had for thousands less. It's called the Saturn VUE.
Z4 - Catfish-faced. It looks strange when stationary, but it's pure beauty in motion.
5-series - Front turn signal "eyebrows" ruin the front end for me, trunklid cutline cribbed from the Kia Rio ruins the rear. The new M5 may be a world-beater, but I can't get over the coachwork.
5-wagon - Eliminates the fugly trunklid from the equation. I'm assuming the FEA remains the same as the sedan, which is a shame.
X5 - IMO, outclassed by Volkswagen's Touareg. Still a very clean, very presentable design, even if it is late in its product cycle.
6-series - Gorgeous. Even the trunklid, which I detest on the 5 and 7, can't ruin this design for me.
7-series - The old 750iL was an aspirational vehicle for me. Now, it's the Audi A8L. The current 7 leaves me cold.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:28 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 series- the 2-door versions (2 series?) look ok, but the 4-drs ain't working for me.
3 series- I have too much experience with the E36. While technically a better car in every respect, the E46 is just bloated to me. I agree with the comment about the xi wagon, though.
X3- eh... I wish BMW wasn't financially obligated to build SUV's in order to survive, but like the Porsche, they are necessary evils...
Z4 - Like it. I'd get a 3.0 if I could.
5 series- I might like it more given some time... some spy pics of the M5 look interesting.
5 series wagon- best looking Bangle design. Nice!
X5- (see X3 comments)
6 series- (see 5 series comments)
7 series- the design has grown on me to the point where I don't hate it as much. Not saying I'd buy one, but my stomach doesn't churn at the sight of one anymore.