Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Honda Fit

Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Fit

Alrighty. Well I'm looking for a reliable second car for commuting. I'm going to start to turn my MC into a track machine. SO I started looking for a second car yesterday. Originally I was going to purchase an 06 GTO, but backed out due to its obvious economical lacking. I test drove the new Honda Fit and I loved it. I liked the fact it was small like the Mini and offered 5 doors (4 and hatch). I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about these cars or any experience with them. Ive owned a Civic before and Im happy with Honda and there reputation.
Thanks Guys

Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Honda Fit was on the short list to replace our Honda CR-V. I must add here that our family LOVES Hondas. The Fit would have been my first choice to replace the CR-V, but my partner fell in love with the Nissan Versa. As both a Honda lover and a MINI fanatic, I think the Fit belongs in the MINI league of": nimble, cute, zippy, economical.
Bottom line is you are not going to go wrong with any of the Honda line ups. And, I am speaking from 20 plus years of experience with Hondas.
In fact, I just returned home tonight after a 6,000 mile plus road trip in my OB MCA and I just had to take my 07 Honda Civic EX Coupe for a spin.
Remember the song "Torn Between Two Lovers"?

Loving both......

Old 07-30-2007, 05:40 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fit's are cool. i'd get one if i had the extra cash right now....
just a tad too small for me as a family wagon when you got 2 kids in the
back.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We test drove a Fit several months ago and came away with a bit of a mixed reaction.

We have had 4 Hondas (76 Civic CVCC, 80 Accord, 87 Civic SI, 93 Accord) and all have had a high standard of quality, longevity, and have been well-suited the purpose for which they were bought. The problem is, they last so long I get bored with them. Of course, it's probably just my yearn for new experiences causing this.

So, back to the Fit. From a design point of view, it succeeds as a people and stuff mover, and seems surprisingly flexible in its various configurations. I liked the interior layout quite well and the materials were not as "economical" as I would have thought for the Fits price point.

It actually rode quite well, but that was with only one passenger. I suspect that 3 passengers and some gear would alter the ride somewhat, but I can only guess at that. There is certainly enough room to accomodate a larger load!

My biggest issues came when I drove it in a sporty manner. First, the engine is far from the JCW powerplant I am used to. OK, I expected that. But it seemed to be just "adequate" for our drive, and that was without the AC on. There was a further reduction in power once the AC was switched on. I kept wondering what effect an increased load and hot climate might have on my impressions of the Fit.

Second, the steering feel and performance was a bit numb. I wouldn't say it's as at the somewhat isolating level of our 3-series, but it is a far cry from the MCS. Turn-in is slow and I'm not sure all of that can be chaulked-up to the standard tires. Transitioning turns from left to right and back, I felt that I had a bit of a wait for the vehicle dynamics to inform me of the current situation. Subtle perhaps, but enough for me to be a bit bothered by it. YMMV, since we all have different reaction and sensing thresholds.

Third, and this is a silly issue, the Fit wasn't available with a sunroof. We are so used to the more open feeling given by a sunroof, the Fit seemed a little lacking without it. Of course, we live in the Northeast and not in the southern states.

One of the aspects of the Fit that is a real pleasure when driving is the transmission. Somehow, Honda has always seemed to perfect the design and feel of the gearchange mechanicals; the Fit continues this tradition. In the long run this is probably a good thing since the modest torque capability of the engine will require gearchanges to keep it in the power band.

So, if you are looking for a vehicle that with hold a poopload of gear (including a bicycle) inside it, and you will have, at most, one other passenger, it's an interesting choice. However, don't expect to expect the words "quick" and "nimble" to spring to mind.

Of course, this is all my own opinion. You need to test drive it with 2 or 3 other people inside and make your own decision.

Theo

Last edited by Koopah; 07-30-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:50 AM
dwasson
2nd Gear
We looked the Fit this past Saturday. The two things that made an impression were how narrow it is and how dinky 14" wheels seem nowadays.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM
MDK
6th Gear
The Fit is interesting- I haven't tried one yet but I'm not looking either. If your not set on new maybe take a look at a used Mazda3-especially the MazdaSpeed 3. That offers more room, same nice small wagon versatility and the regular 3 has good economy. The Speed 3 is like a 5 door MCS (260hp!)

I noticed there is Fit and Fit S-any engine diff?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
I second the above. If you want a super economical fun little car, the Fit is probably great. If you want road worthy fun and comfort, the Mazda 3 is a modest bump in cost that could be worth it. Or at that price point, maybe what you really need is another MC!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
i was going to say, why dont you just get an 07 stripped MC?
but to answer the question, the fits are pretty nice little cars.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Well when I did my test drive It was My friend Matt, the Car Salesman and Me of course. I had no concern with power. Its what I'd expect for an economical car. My Mini is my fun car, so this is just a practical Daily Driver. I hate anything Mazda. So right there that is out of the question. I did like the Nissan Versa. But just didnt really like the styling. I think the Fit would be alright for what I need it for. I dont do much hauling. At the most I have a few people with me. Anyways Thanks everyone for your help. Im gunna go to the dealer Friday on my day off. So If I buy it Ill be sure to post a full review with pics.
-John

Originally Posted by sdv515
i was going to say, why dont you just get an 07 stripped MC?
but to answer the question, the fits are pretty nice little cars.
No way. No offense, But I honestly feel that the R56 has ruin the styling of the Mini. This is the reason Im keeping my R50 and not upgrading to an '07. Im just way to attached to my '02. I was going to purchase an '07 convertible, but alas Im just not an open top motorer.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Just a note on the Nissan Versa: my SO has the SL hatch. What a sweetheart of a car. You can't even compare it to the MINI, but for what it is, it's a real peach. It's economical, cheap to insure, safe, quietest car I've ever been in, smooth, and has tons of room. It isn't as zippy handling as the Fit, but it has plenty of pep. I do like the CVT in the SL version.

For what it's worth......

Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blue Skies 05
Just a note on the Nissan Versa: my SO has the SL hatch. What a sweetheart of a car. You can't even compare it to the MINI, but for what it is, it's a real peach. It's economical, cheap to insure, safe, quietest car I've ever been in, smooth, and has tons of room. It isn't as zippy handling as the Fit, but it has plenty of pep. I do like the CVT in the SL version.

For what it's worth......
Thanks for the Input. I think the Versa is worth the test drive.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
MDK
6th Gear
Don't forget to post pics of whatever the winner (of your cash) is!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who is coming up with the names for these cars??? I suppose Fit is better than Tantrum and Versa better than Contrary, but not by much.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
minijon
2nd Gear
My gf owns a Fit. If you get the Sport edition, the body kit makes it look so much better. The 15 inch wheels are a much better way to travel. There isn't an engine difference between the models. Her's is an auto, but the paddle shifters are nice for when I want to decide to shift. Saves a little on the brakes, too. A MINI is a racecar, a Fit is an econobox. The feel and driving is completely different.

Originally Posted by LynnEl
Who is coming up with the names for these cars??? I suppose Fit is better than Tantrum and Versa better than Contrary, but not by much.
The Fit is a Jazz in Europe. I forgot what the Versa's other name is.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
MiniGeoff
1st Gear
I can't say about the fit specificly, but since 1980 my family has owned 10 Hondas and with the exception of 1 "accidental" death and a blown engine from a stupid kid (me) not doing oil changes, they all got driven to Honda dealers to trade in on new ones at 250k+ miles. I've owned a toyota, mazda, and kia all in the economy family car catagory, and the simple fact is that IMHO Honda is the top of the heap. Had I not gotten the chance at my MCS, I was looking at Civic Sis to replace my aging civic. If I were shoping econoboxes today, the Fit is where I would be looking almost exclulsively.

I concur with the previous post, they last so long and run so well that they get boring. I rolled 100k within 18 months in my current civic, and am at 211k in it now, and it runs and drives just like the day I bought it. It's just not nearly as exciting as my MINI.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniGeoff
I can't say about the fit specificly, but since 1980 my family has owned 10 Hondas and with the exception of 1 "accidental" death and a blown engine from a stupid kid (me) not doing oil changes, they all got driven to Honda dealers to trade in on new ones at 250k+ miles. I've owned a toyota, mazda, and kia all in the economy family car catagory, and the simple fact is that IMHO Honda is the top of the heap. Had I not gotten the chance at my MCS, I was looking at Civic Sis to replace my aging civic. If I were shoping econoboxes today, the Fit is where I would be looking almost exclulsively.

I concur with the previous post, they last so long and run so well that they get boring. I rolled 100k within 18 months in my current civic, and am at 211k in it now, and it runs and drives just like the day I bought it. It's just not nearly as exciting as my MINI.
+1 Hondas may not be as exciting as the MINI, but I sure have loved all of mine. And, the new Civic Coupe is amazing.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
ive had a couple of civics too... they have been great, except for the 04.
terrible suspension design. 06 fixed that.

go honda! (my next car will probably not be Honda though...
maybe the Odyesse for the wife down the road...)

Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
ive had a couple of civics too... they have been great, except for the 04.
terrible suspension design. 06 fixed that.

go honda! (my next car will probably not be Honda though...
maybe the Odyesse for the wife down the road...)
I had an '04 Civic. It was alright. You still have your G35c? I sold mine awhile back. It was just too much to insure and I didn't drive it enough.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
We really considered the Fit, or as my hubby says, "The Sports Spit". When our '96 Saturn wagon FINALLY dies,we'll probably get a Fit. We're hoping that the power will be a bit better in the 09 model. . .currently it seems a bit sluggish (with 2 adults and 2 kids).

The Saturns - we have 2 SW2s - have been surprisingly zippy for their price range, and I'm used to being able to floor it and have a good response. Didn't get that feeling with the 07 Fit. I guess I want an hysterical fit!

Now that my MINI is on order, I don't really care what we get next!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
MINICORSA
Former Vendor
there is already a Rotrex kit out for the fit. It makes close to 160whp and 140 ft lbs of torque!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jtrem
I had an '04 Civic. It was alright. You still have your G35c? I sold mine awhile back. It was just too much to insure and I didn't drive it enough.
you liked the 04 civic? hummm... i had the previous gens as posted above
and they had better sus than the Gen7. the Gen8 feels closer to home
as far as comfort vs perfomance balance. it's a nice ride.

yes, i do have my G35C. im going to keep it another 2-3 yrs until
BMW gets out all the kinks on the 335i coupe. im looking at the
G37C poster Inifinit sent me every day... i still can't get use to it.
their concept was so beautiful i dont know how they couldve screwed it
up so bad.

unless there's others in the $50K bracket that i might consider.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINICORSA
there is already a Rotrex kit out for the fit. It makes close to 160whp and 140 ft lbs of torque!
holly crap. might be as fast as our MCS's!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
MDK
6th Gear
160whp! Need to get some better wheels/tires under it and firm up the suspension, but that would be fun. Can you imagine the looks at the on-ramp or stop light when you smoke them all in a FIT? (I guess we can imagine t hat as it's simular to the looks we get when we smoke them in our MINI's )

Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Scoopmama
We really considered the Fit, or as my hubby says, "The Sports Spit". When our '96 Saturn wagon FINALLY dies,we'll probably get a Fit. We're hoping that the power will be a bit better in the 09 model. . .currently it seems a bit sluggish (with 2 adults and 2 kids).

The Saturns - we have 2 SW2s - have been surprisingly zippy for their price range, and I'm used to being able to floor it and have a good response. Didn't get that feeling with the 07 Fit. I guess I want an hysterical fit!

Now that my MINI is on order, I don't really care what we get next!!!
The "Sport Spit" would be too sluggish with a full load. IMHO, it's a spiffy little one (maybe two) person mobile. One of my best friends has the same Saturn as you. She hauls dogs/cats/skis, etc. and still floors it like I wouldn't imagine to be possible.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MDK
160whp! Need to get some better wheels/tires under it and firm up the suspension, but that would be fun. Can you imagine the looks at the on-ramp or stop light when you smoke them all in a FIT? (I guess we can imagine t hat as it's simular to the looks we get when we smoke them in our MINI's )
oh no's! IBFTL!

oh wait, that wasn't the point.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit