Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
GGC BMWCCA is running a driving school at Laguna Seca on January 22.

I'll be there, wearing the FMOD hat.

Some of my m|u peeps are coming up from the southland to try to take it back to LA with them. The only way to be sure it stays in norcal is for you FAST guys to come on out and win it. All you have to do is catch me and pass me on the track and it's yours.

Motorsportreg.com

Old 12-21-2006, 08:36 PM
SoCal_Mini
3rd Gear
You talking about me?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SoCal_Mini
You talking about me?
Well, I supose San Diego could be considered part of the southland.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 PM
SoCal_Mini
3rd Gear
Which run group do I sign up for? (I'm not sure what the bay area club calls them - on the reg. form it doesn't list any) At motorcycle track dayz I always run in the race group.. its just easier than getting bogged. But in the cars I'd imagine there is a race group (for race prepped cars) and then something just below that? without 'R' compounds....

BTW: What tires will you be running? (I'm on stock everything of course)

Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
As you move through the registration form it gives you the choice of run group. I started in Intermediate on my first day and was moved up to Advanced. I thought that it was more politic to let my Instructor decide that I was worthy than to come screaming in claiming to be the World's Fastest Human.

Tires:
rain - my $70 Generals
dry - Yoko Advan 048 Competition, Medium compound. (The Club does not allow slicks for driving school)

Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
This will be fun.

I like to set up the Ultimate Driving Machines in the Carrousel, show 'em a bit of my door, because the MINI can hug the inside and they have to go wide. But you can't pass there, so I drop back and just drift on by 'em on the outside at the exit of 6 and drag 'em down to 7. If they won't concede the pass, I outbrake 'em on the entrance inside and take 7 short. It's a really slow corner so taking it short is no problem. Then you're back up to speed for the Esses before they know quite how that happened.

But it's not a race!

Oh wait! That's Infineon.

For Laguna it's Turn 2 and 9-10 that are the fun spots. 2 because we're lighter and can brake later (indeed, you'll see a lot of folks brake at 1 below the crest of the hill instead of waiting for the entrance to 2). 9-10 because everyone is still congratulating themselves for getting through the Corkscrew in one piece and they pinch the exit. Concentrate on the line there and you can build up a nice head of steam going downhill through 10 and take 'em on the way to 11.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:15 AM
SoCal_Mini
3rd Gear
Am I going to be really disappointed with my stock Dunlops? (I really don't want to go out and spend money at this time - I'm kind of feeling the pinch after all the new toys being delivered this month at the same time)

What tires are offered in my size that you'd recommend> 205/40 18"

Old 12-22-2006, 10:20 AM
katmeho
4th Gear
Yes, but theres no better way to tear through a set of tires than a trackday, thus allowing you to justify the purchase of something stickier...

Old 12-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by katmeho
Yes, but theres no better way to tear through a set of tires than a trackday, thus allowing you to justify the purchase of something stickier...
What he said.

I always advise running what you brung. The chance of overdriving your equipment the first time you hit Laguna is . . . slight. But the experience will give you valuable data for the next time.

For tire advice, call Tire Rack. Not a smartass answer; I just don't know.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
There's still some room for a few more hotshoes in the advanced group at Thunderhill on Januay 12. Here's the link to T.E.A.M. Racing.

Anyone who'd like to find out how it feels to wear the FMOD hat or who would just like to make me shut up, here's another chance.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Too bad, we'll just miss each other.
Signed up for Laguna on 1-7-07 with NASA (no rain-extreme blue sky).
A couple of other folks from NAM will be there.

Originally Posted by Siddhartha
GGC BMWCCA is running a driving school at Laguna Seca on January 22.

I'll be there, wearing the FMOD hat.

Some of my m|u peeps are coming up from the southland to try to take it back to LA with them. The only way to be sure it stays in norcal is for you FAST guys to come on out and win it. All you have to do is catch me and pass me on the track and it's yours.

Motorsportreg.com

Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kmickey
Too bad, we'll just miss each other.
Signed up for Laguna on 1-7-07 with NASA (no rain-extreme blue sky).
A couple of other folks from NAM will be there.
Yah, I'll be in Dago with the folks, can't make it. I'm comin' for you this year, Mick. More NASA dates for me.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Great! Can't wait till we see you out with NASA.
Hurry though, after four years of NASA HPDE with the MINI,
I'm ready to move on.
I have designs on specE30 racing.

Yah, I'll be in Dago with the folks, can't make it. I'm comin' for you this year, Mick. More NASA dates for me.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Oh Mickey! When was the last time an E30 gave your MINI a run?

Old 01-01-2007, 08:16 PM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Thanks for the tips Jerry. It isn't as good as you being here but hey, anything helps. I will be at Laguna Seca in the morning, January 2, with the Goldengate Lotus club. I guess I won't be lighter than the Lotuses but maybe some UDMs will be there. I wish I could make the TEAM event next Monday, but I am traveling for work that day. See you at the next event.

For Laguna it's Turn 2 and 9-10 that are the fun spots. 2 because we're lighter and can brake later (indeed, you'll see a lot of folks brake at 1 below the crest of the hill instead of waiting for the entrance to 2). 9-10 because everyone is still congratulating themselves for getting through the Corkscrew in one piece and they pinch the exit. Concentrate on the line there and you can build up a nice head of steam going downhill through 10 and take 'em on the way to 11.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Have fun today, Mike. Please give us a report of the experience. I've heard that the Lotus Club holds a, umm . . . laid back, lassiez-faire, anything goes type event. What's your take?

Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Jerry, I had a good time. The weather was nice, no fog, and the track was dry. There were a variety of cars with many Elises and other older Lotuses. The event was run as well as others that I have been to, although I heard comments similar to what you say mentioned, probably in regard to passing rules.

The Lotus Club has open passing in the Advanced group and point by on all the straights in the Intermediate group. I booked late and got in due to a cancellation in the second Advanced group, with the high powered cars, so I got the full open passing experience. I offered to move down a group but the event was full.

It was interesting to look in my mirrors and see a Corvette or a Carrera S closing fast down the front straight. Two Evos and two Cayman S's that where going at it swarmed me, passing on both sides at once, so that was extra special, but not a problem. I had fun running with a nice early model M3.

Most cars in the Advanced group had track tires and were setup for the track, so they were quick. The Intermediate group was more tame and my stock Cooper S could have held its own there.

Clive, (apriorism on NAM) was there and I took a ride with him, in his well set up Mini, in the first Advanced group, and we put the moves on a few cars, with him passing in the corners while demonstrating rotation. I think Clive is a contender for the FMOD hat.

It was a full day and a decent price so I would go again with this group.

Have fun today, Mike. Please give us a report of the experience. I've heard that the Lotus Club holds a, umm . . . laid back, lassiez-faire, anything goes type event. What's your take?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 PM
apriorism
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MCLeonard
Clive, (apriorism on NAM) was there and I took a ride with him, in his well set up Mini, in the first Advanced group, and we put the moves on a few cars, with him passing in the corners while demonstrating rotation. I think Clive is a contender for the FMOD hat.

It was a full day and a decent price so I would go again with this group.
Michael, It was nice meeting you again at the track... i enjoy the day very much as well. GGLC is great... it is hard to beat a track day at Laguna with *only 3* run-groups, open passing, for just $225. If you like events with more relaxed passing rules and safer, more experienced drivers, you may want to try NCRC (www.ncracing.org) next time. They typically run 2 open-passing groups, 1 limited (passing anywhere with a point-by) group and 1 novice group. NCRC's next event will be at Laguna on Feb 12-13... too bad that these are not weekends so I likely won't be able to make them.

Jerry, not sure when we will meet at a track event next time... but i have PSS9 with thick sway bars now... so watch out for that FMOD hat of yours.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCLeonard
I think Clive is a contender for the FMOD hat.
Me too! If he can just keep his wheels on!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
I just booked up the next couple of months, so here's my schedule (I for instructing):

Jan 12 - T.E.A.M. Racing at Thunderhill (I)
Jan 22 BMWCCA at Laguna Seca

Feb 10-11 - NASA at Sears Point
Feb 12-13 - NCRC at Laguna Seca
Feb 16 - Checkered Flag Racing ASSN at Laguna

Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Did I read this right?
Your instructing for NASA??

See you there on 2/10-11/07, running group 4.

I just booked up the next couple of months, so here's my schedule (I for instructing):

Jan 12 - T.E.A.M. Racing at Thunderhill (I)
Jan 22 BMWCCA at Laguna Seca

Feb 10-11 - NASA at Sears Point
Feb 12-13 - NCRC at Laguna Seca
Feb 16 - Checkered Flag Racing ASSN at Laguna

Old 01-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kmickey
Did I read this right?
Your instructing for NASA??

See you there on 2/10-11/07, running group 4.
No, no. Only T.E.A.M. in this phase. I'll be in 3 to start, see if I can qualify for 4. I'll bring the FMOD hat (if I still own it!).

Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
OK, I see.
Might change to group 3 on Saturday and group 4 on Sunday.
This ought to be fun!

Mickey

No, no. Only T.E.A.M. in this phase. I'll be in 3 to start, see if I can qualify for 4. I'll bring the FMOD hat (if I still own it!).

Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Oooooooo! I'm shakin' now! Mickey's been practising at Sears Point all year. This could be it, folks. The big showdown. Place your bets.

Quick Reply: Calling all fast Bay Area MINIs!