Mini of Mountain View can kiss my.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katmeho

best of luck, hope it gets sorted and you get the sale done and from the sounds of it, your new M3. Then we can all chase you at the track!
Chase an M3? You must be joking. Oh, wait, I understand. You mean chase it down.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a massive load of crap...

Originally Posted by MSFIT
Oil Catch Can...The sensors are fine. The problem is they are reading outside the JCW tuning parameters...cuz the stock cooper s intake doesn't pull in enough air and the problem with the bypass valve..
The differences aren't enough to make this even close to true. And FWIW, the two MAP sensors ARE NOT interchangable. One only reads to 15 PSI, the other to 36.... Swap them and both readings will be 2.5x off....

Matt

Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I didn't get this problem untill after I had put the stock cooper S intake on the car. So I am putting a HAI intake back on and we will see if that fixes it.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:19 AM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Will,

Swiss Cheese the bottom on your CooperS airbox to get more air in. Do a search on here for 'Carnatioin' for pics. I did this before I got my pulley installed and I noticed a little more power (according to my butt dyno).

Old 06-09-2006, 09:30 AM
hong
3rd Gear
so looks like MOMV is the one to avoid if I have some mods, which of the dealerships in this area are more mod friendly?

Old 06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by hong
so looks like MOMV is the one to avoid if I have some mods, which of the dealerships in this area are more mod friendly?
None. It has nothing to do with the dealership. They are all "mod friendly" until they have to explain to their local Corporate Rep. why they spent 2 days diagnosing/troubleshooting a car with mods.

Follow Siddhartha's advice, support your local independent mod shop.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:43 AM
hong
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
None. It has nothing to do with the dealership. They are all "mod friendly" until they have to explain to their local Corporate Rep. why they spent 2 days diagnosing/troubleshooting a car with mods.

Follow Siddhartha's advice, support your local independent mod shop.
Sure, after the warranty period runs out. MSFIT's story is rather unusual, I'd guess if the job only takes couple of hours, dealership may not blink an eye on whatever mods I have done. Right now I'm looking for a dealership to clear out an airbag light (with only 3500 on the odo), I don't want a mechanic to blame the 15% or HDI box for the culprit.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by hong
Sure, after the warranty period runs out. MSFIT's story is rather unusual, I'd guess if the job only takes couple of hours, dealership may not blink an eye on whatever mods I have done. Right now I'm looking for a dealership to clear out an airbag light (with only 3500 on the odo), I don't want a mechanic to blame the 15% or HDI box for the culprit.
His story isn't that unusual...........it's happening to alot of us.

Take your car in for an oil change - no mention of mods.

Take you car in for an SEL - all of sudden you find out exactly how much they know about your mods.

There have been several threads mentioning the fact that dealerships are writing down the VIN numbers of cars that have been modded.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Alright, did some testing and stuff...I am starting to think its my TB...

And doesn't it say in that service bulletin that if the CEL comes back after replacing wiring harness to also replace tb? If so I think I will be able to get my money back get it fixed under warranty..I am going to jasons now to try out a good TB to see if that fixes it..

Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
MSFIT - Would love for you to post this story in the GCM dealership discussion...

Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
mmk...so I took that catch can off, put my bypass valve back to a stock setup. Disconnected battery for like 20 minutes, car started up with no CEL, drove with no hiccups, and started again and again without a CEL. very strange, all in time though for a person to come look at it this morning and now they are going to get a loan on monday to buy the car. :D

Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 PM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The differences aren't enough to make this even close to true. And FWIW, the two MAP sensors ARE NOT interchangable. One only reads to 15 PSI, the other to 36.... Swap them and both readings will be 2.5x off....

Matt
I'm sorry, I remember reading somthing about a test that could be done using these two sensors. I can't seem to find it in my references right now, but now I must get to the bottom of where that idea came from.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
5th Gear
Alright, did some testing and stuff...I am starting to think its my TB...

And doesn't it say in that service bulletin that if the CEL comes back after replacing wiring harness to also replace tb? If so I think I will be able to get my money back get it fixed under warranty..I am going to jasons now to try out a good TB to see if that fixes it..
Did you ever check the date on the throttle body? I posted it in your other thread about the harness. Before may 1st (01-05-02) should be replaced per the bulletin.

Edit: I just realized you had your bypass vavle modded. That can cause the code. I zip tied my bypass valve shut without any problems. When I tried it on a friends car, she constantly got that fault until I removed the zip tie.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM
ka_ciao
4th Gear
Dredging up this old thread to say...

I took Dylan to MOMV this week to have the leaking motor mount replaced. I specifically requested Jennifer as my service advisor and I couldn't be more happy with my experience.

MOMV replaced the mount and steam cleaned the engine at no cost to me (it was a warranty repair). Jennifer even sent my MINI back to be cleaned a 2nd time because she didn't think it was done well enough the first time. She also had the tech fix the center-pin dash rattle on this visit. Woohoo!!!

Jennifer ROCKS -- she'll be getting all 5's from me!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
woah...lol subscribed threads send emails

I saw u and skotmann...I was in a big green van haha...me and my friend were going riding and then saw the car again at the mall...

btw the WHOLE problem ended up being a faulty map sensor....something like $4x.xx part.

and I'm still out $500 something from mt view...and miniusa hasen't responded to my latest emails...

Old 09-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
The service managers do get told about posts on this board. Sounds like you guys/gals on the West coast have it just as bad as we do when it comes to PITA dealers. My local one is just plain bad. Like you it took me several weeks to get an appointment, and then once they had the car (for 30 hours) they still hadn't completed an oil change or state safety inspection. BTW, I don't even have mods on the car.

Anyway, I posted here, a calm, methodical post, that was mostly rant free, and the service advisor found out about it, and appartently was "pissed", and said that "I'm no longer welcome at the service department". Which is pretty much fine with me, since even when I was welcome they couldn't fix my car.

Granted none of this was told to me officially, so I sent an email to MINIUSA thru their comment section. Got a responce back pretty quickly, but no real resolution. At least its in the official record that I won't be going back to them.

Just a little proof that the dealers at least see the posts (I'm assuming that someone points them out to them), I don't know about MINIUSA, but they would be pretty stupid to not at least use them as a resource to see what issues the MINI community is having. It's cheap research for them.

There are other "local" dealers, at least in my area there are three dealers within 70 miles or so, which doesn't sound like the case near you. Unfortunitally the local dealer was only 10 miles away which would have been really nice.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 AM
zied
Coordinator :: Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts
MSFIT, did you ever sell your car? If so have the new owners been problem free with your mods?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
woah...lol subscribed threads send emails

I saw u and skotmann...I was in a big green van haha...me and my friend were going riding and then saw the car again at the mall...

btw the WHOLE problem ended up being a faulty map sensor....something like $4x.xx part.

and I'm still out $500 something from mt view...and miniusa hasen't responded to my latest emails...
Originally Posted by zied
MSFIT, did you ever sell your car? If so have the new owners been problem free with your mods?
car's gone and no problems...

Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
zied
Coordinator :: Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts
it was such an intriguing story... I just wanted to know the uncome. Lets us know what becomes of MINI USA

Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zied
it was such an intriguing story... I just wanted to know the uncome. Lets us know what becomes of MINI USA

I'd suspect that MINIUSA will make it right. We had a member who had some problems with a cabrio... long story short, MINI USA bought the car back from the owner. He did have to jump through some hoops, but they made it right.

Keep us updated.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't....

Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
I'd suspect that MINIUSA will make it right.
Wil doesnt have the car anymore. He's driving an M3! Frankly I was baffled when Mini of MV told him to take a hike. That would generate more negative press for the dealership than just eating some diagnostic time.... And the fact that they declined to sell him parts for his car is just stupid. Sure, they can "reserve the right" to not to do business with certain people, and we reserve the right to call them out for it.

Matt