NorCal MINIs A club for Northern California MINI Cooper enthusiasts. Visit our club site at www.norcalminis.com

A last rant about MMW '05

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
zied
Coordinator :: Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I belong first to REME, but additionally to both MOASF and NorCal... I really think this thread or at least some of the sentiment left here should be moved to the MOASF site. No one from MOASF moderates or even visits NAM on a regular (or even seldom) basis. They won't like what you have to say, but maybe they should hear it and at least be able to defend themselves.

I am just glad I missed the event all together.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I didn’t attend the event but know many of the people who did. I am very saddened that some attendees didn’t feel welcome because of a few bad apples. Yes, there are some people who believe that the new MINI doesn’t fit in and they make it their mission to annoy their owners. But I am sure they are a minority.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:22 PM
dr dave
2nd Gear
Wow. Tough crowd. Everyone I've talked with really enjoyed themselves and thought MMW 05 went over really well. I am a member of both MOASF and NorCal, and have attended at least 10 MMW events since 1988. I felt the event was great and one of the best.
As for the Autocross, assuming you were there. It was really HOT. Literally. Like 105+ degrees with very little shade. Infact, my mini broke down twice, both at the autocross and driving back on the Altamont pass.
My point is that it seemed as though there wasn't much time between getting the autocross shut down and figuring out every result before the closing banquet. All of us working the event were both exhausted and de-hydrated. Unfortunately, some data was apparently lost. But they made good with what they had. Did anyone here attend the Banquet?
I have to say it was very well done and was a definate hilight.

As for people sitting on other people's cars... that's a major faux pas and definately not cool, although I personally did not see this and if I had I would have done something about it.

I was in charge of the RC car racing, which went over pretty good, as I've yet to receive any complaints. And if you've got one, tough, because I won.

Another hilight was the early morning though San Francisco. See pictures at www.hypersprite.com . If you missed it, it was awesome. So good that I didn't run the rally (that and the fact that S.F. is about 30 degrees cooler than San Raphel).

I was also and official judge for the concours of the "full custom classics" to which there were some amazing cars.

I know Gordon has now finished the video, and I look forward to seeing it soon.

I'm sorry you missed the meet Rick, and assume you received your refund.

For all of you still bitter about the whole ordeal, try posting your comments on the MOASF website, as I'm sure you'll generate an openended response.

dr dave

Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 PM
StarLord
1st Gear
well put, Dr Dave.

I am surprised people still have some sore spots over the event. MMW was fun for me. Yes, there were a few sour-puss people with classic *and* new Minis having likewise unacceptable behavior, and as expected, a few folks allowed themselves to get P.O.'d about it.. In retrospect, I am sorry I was insenstive to this going on, as I was too busy having a good time to give it much bearing. I suppose if I had more to do with the organization of the event, then I could have said something as it all went down, but wow I am just impressed that it went together so well with so few people chipping in to help keep it together.

Doing this show was a new experience for MOASF and NorCal MINIs. I think the organizers, both MOASF and NorCal MINIs, have learned some hard lessons this time around, and it will help us to avoid making the same mistakes next time it's our go to do the event. We'll aspire to get a better hotel, get more volunteers, get more complete video coverage of the event, more sponsors, more vendors, and hopefully end up making more money for participating clubs as well the merchants who graciously attended or took part in any way.

Beyond that, was the event a success? Yes, I think it was. It is what you make of it.

About the autocross.. I realize the track was short staffed, I was there trying to help out all day, as well clean-up at the end. I wrote down times when Randy Webb was doing his awesome laps, I know he didn't hit all those cones -- in amazement, he had better times than anyone, but I guess that was after the 'official' group times were all said and done.

I know my autocross times were a bit off, and I only got 3 laps when others got more, but I guess other folks got less. The vette's laps were good comic relief, but the old guy was from SCCA and helped us out a great deal, so no unkind words be said on that.

I dunno who won the concourse, not even a clue what the cars looked like or anything. My car was featured in Mini Mania, MC2, Gordon's ametaur DVD's of the show, and got to be in the winner's circle at blackhawk, so I am pretty happy about that ;-)

In closing, I look forward to MMW 2006 and plan to bring both Minis. I'm ready to do it all again, even if there isn't going to be autocross I would still go for the opportunity and to say I was there.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:03 PM
dr dave
2nd Gear
Thanks Chris,

Arizona looks to be different, however, good. I really enjoyed hanging out in the parking lot at MMW 2005 and meeting up with old friends, meeting new people and general BSing. There was plenty of beer too.

I also want to go to MMW 2006 to defend my "Tamiya Challenge Cup" in the RC races.

See you there

dr dave

Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 AM
StarLord
1st Gear
anyone take photos/videos at mmw? open project to make compilation DVD

Although I've had a few folks express interest, there hasn't been anyone who offered their photos or videos to me outright.. so I'll give this one more go before I drop the idea..

Attention REME/NorCal/MOASF/etc people: if anyone has photos or videos from MMW 2005 and would like to have them included in a compilation DVD, that is, to complement the official DVDs, please email me or send a private message. I am using my production skills (and iDVD on the Mac) to put together a collection of photos and videos from people who attended.
These do NOT have to be in digital format. If you have any format videotape, prints, slides, or negatives that I can borrow, I will scan them in, then return to you.

A disclaimer: I have no relation to Nvision or Gordon Lee, my intent isn't to compete with the official set, nor make profit off this, just a fellow Mini/MINI fan wanting more 'eye candy' to remember the event

Interested people (whether you're submitting photos, videos, etc. or not) who want a copy of the DVD once it's done, please send a private message or email. Cost will be limited to blank DVD-R 4x media, shipping, or packing.. though I expect most folks will just meetup with me on a future run (meaning, little or no cost at all) Thanks!