NorCal MINIs A club for Northern California MINI Cooper enthusiasts. Visit our club site at www.norcalminis.com

Cat Converter / Smog

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
coop s
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Converter / Smog

Bought out of state MCS 03 . Lots of goodies , has Mini Mania 4 2 1 Header [ no cat ] w/ Alta sporttone exhaust. Cant register w/o smog . anyone have a stock header w/ cat ? Or will the Miltek Header w/ cat meet Ca emissions ? Thanks for replys in advance coop s

Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Group B
2nd Gear
An aftermarket header and catalyst, even if it would pass the sniffer test and dyno test (if you live in a dyno-testing region)it (EDIT might not pass the visual inspection, but may or may not get noticed.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:08 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a stock header that you could borrow.
(Well I have been known to drink GOOD beer)

In Concord.

I do beleve that even though an "aftermarket" header shouldnt OFFICIALLY pass the visual inspection, most mechanics wouldn't know the difference.

Last edited by COR BLMY; 08-04-2005 at 10:10 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
miniboost
2nd Gear
just had my truck smogged and it passed. i have headers on it that look nothing like factory and passed the visual no prob here in San Jose. Tech even complimented them.

MiniBoost

Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 PM
betet
4th Gear
Since you're MCS is an 03, I don't think it needs to be smogged for another 3 years.. That's the new law as far as 6 yrs or newer cars are concerned.. check w/ DMV

///Gilbert

From DMV online:
Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:27 PM
LAMINI
Banned
6 year law

car does not qualify because it's requires an initial registration for this state. Go to your local mechanic or shop, they usually have the "hookups" to help you out, for a fee of course. there is also a minishop in norther california who does lots of those upgrades who may have stock parts laying around. Contact the folks of NORCALMINIS.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
coop s
Neutral
Out of state Car

Gilbert , thanks for all the info , but because car is out of state, even though a " 50 state car" Calif DMV requires a smog

Originally Posted by betet
Since you're MCS is an 03, I don't think it needs to be smogged for another 3 years.. That's the new law as far as 6 yrs or newer cars are concerned.. check w/ DMV

///Gilbert

From DMV online:
Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:17 PM
coop s
Neutral
Borrowed stock header

Originally Posted by bpago
I have a stock header that you could borrow.
(Well I have been known to drink GOOD beer)

In Concord.

I do beleve that even though an "aftermarket" header shouldnt OFFICIALLY pass the visual inspection, most mechanics wouldn't know the difference.
Thanks for the generous offer , I'm going to try and do a couple smog pre tests here in livermore and see if it flys. If not name your brand of suds

Old 08-06-2005, 06:39 PM
betet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coop s
Gilbert , thanks for all the info , but because car is out of state, even though a " 50 state car" Calif DMV requires a smog
BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

As others has pointed out, maybe the technicians are not that all familiar what should be in the bonnet anyways..

BTW, if you are really worried about visual, maybe you can just modify the heat shield and somehow allow it to cover the header

///Gilbert

Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
....curious about other mod's and CA smog checks.

I've installed a larger intercooler and CAI. -I assume both will pass? -anyone have any knowlege about this?

What about an ECU tune? will that effect smog at all?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:08 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Cat Converter / Smog

As far as the ECU tune is concerned, a Mynes or RMW tune on a dyno for example, it should not effect passing smog.

The intercooler passing I can't answer but the CAI if not stock, Dinan, JCW or CARB exempt it is an automatic fail.

Hopefully some other posters can answer about the intercooler.