New York/New England New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

NYC area MINIs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
TurboMini
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banjo
I pick up my brand new mini cabrio at 10am.....than ill drive right out to the event. What timing. Ill probably get there around one or so...looking forward to it

Is it going to have your custom stripes? or not yet?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Banjo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Turbo, great seeing you at the Q today on Long Island. When I got back to NYC, I spoke with Peter at M7 and ordered the strut plate and brace to reinforce the strut tower. Definately need that for NYC Streets! Lets get together soon to talk minis!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
I will be there tomorrow with the new r56!!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Banjo
2nd Gear
Here is a pic of me at the Mini Q today

Last edited by Banjo; 05-19-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Turbo ... nice meeting you at the Q today.
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

Some pics from Sunday PM here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/aurelsav...ey=xZXQFWqBzPM

Last edited by lurch70; 05-18-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 AM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
from the looks of it...i didnt miss much.

attendence is dwindling there...time for some new blood and a branching out promo wise ppl.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Any one can get me into here or recommend any other safe, deserted playgrounds in the area? My mini feels like a caged tiger in the city.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:45 AM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DOPAMINE

attendence is dwindling there...time for some new blood and a branching out promo wise ppl.
Very true.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Zoomer
3rd Gear
Agreed - I heard the same. We need to kick the MINI community in the NY area up a notch. One of these days I'm going to have to get up to the Hudson Valley get-togethers that JeffC holds all the time. Also, I know that the Summer Splash is quickly approaching, and, based on last year's turn-out, one will not be disappointed! If you are interested in the Summer Splash, contact MINI of Fairfield County, and ask for Peter B.

Originally Posted by pedrocooper
Very true.
Originally Posted by DOPAMINE

Last edited by Zoomer; 05-25-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 PM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
Summer Splash is a good event. Peter Braun is a true enthusiast.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Zoomer
3rd Gear
This year, from the venue description it's going to be held at Saxe Middle School in New Canaan. They renovated within the past 10 years, so it should be a good time there. I hope to be able to have an R/C car to race during that portion of the event. Pedro, you bringing a R/C car? Enjoy your Memorial Day everyone!

Summer Splash is a good event. Peter Braun is a true enthusiast.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
But of course I'll bring an R/C car with me

Old 05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
ill just say this...and i mean no disrespect to anybody but, there is a new influx of younger blood in the community. for example....there are about 6 new guys in my area that arent on the forums but have fully tuned 53s. they are a day over 23. i think its mostly because the price of the 53 is affordable and bla bla bla. whoever is in charge of the local sites (by local i mean tri-state - northeast) and GTGs and such needs to keep in mind that the number of younger enthusiasts will grow and they need to incorporate that idea into thier plans. GTGs like splash are real boring for some of us. we were expecting something completely different from splash. the idea of driving that far to sit in some dudes backyard away from the cars was silly (no offense). i couldnt wait to get out of there last year. same with the Mini Q. the only thing that kept me at the Q was beer (that i had to sneak)...oh and james was there...and Lucas. anyway, i guess what im trying to say is the GTGs need to be kicked up a notch or two. they are growing stale and very predictable.

pete....man...i missed you at the dragon this year. you woulda had a blast!!!! but, then again, you were on a cruise....lucky *****!!!!! lol

Old 05-26-2008, 12:59 PM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
I'm bringing my cooler to the Splash You're right about a lot of these events. The only good thing about the Q was I got to shoot the s*%t with a few folks I haven't seen for awhile. No offense to anyone planning the Q, but the Q was stale. It's run out of steam. It seems every time you turned around, there was another 50/50 raffle going on.

Last year was the first Splash, so there is a learning curve involved. This year it is in one location...should be a good event. I'll be dressed in my Guinness attire I picked up at St. James Gate!

Last edited by pedrocooper; 05-26-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Zoomer
3rd Gear
The only trouble about pursuing the Splash this year with what I think you and Dopamine are saying is that it's in New Canaan. Since it's New Canaan, they abide by strict laws - and New Canaan is one of those "upper eschelon" types of towns. So, with that, I'm not sure that the beer will be allowed in - unless, of course, we get the proper permits - are we doing that for this year's Splash?

Pete, you're right about a learning curve - and you're right about a lot of things, and JP the same, but there were aspects such as the radio coverage and the food that made it a bit fun. I could do without the lawn thing and such, and 1 outdoor facilities is not enough for the entire crowd, but it was put on by one person, and certainly we should give Peter B. "some" credit.

I'm sort of curious about what your interpretation of a good Splash would be.. I know how cool you are in every sense of the word (no sarcasm intended whatsoever - I really do) and you're right, the tail end hanging with you and James and Pete at the parking lot of the old Trans-Lux building was cool... but there was something missing - I also got to see that all the Long Islanders and the New Yorkers in general are pretty decent people!

I'm just concerned for how the Splash 08 will play out - and if it will meet the expectations of the masses.

And, JP, I can totally relate to the individuals who stay off the forums - if I knew then what I know now, I would restrict my access to only a few forums, I don't care if they're local or not - but they tend to sway in the direction of politics, if you know what I mean..and I'm not pointing to any one forum in particular. I like to read what's going on on NAM, but as far as posting, not that much anymore..

I like what JeffC has done with tshared.com. I really do. There's basically no real "forum" if you will - there's just an event log. If you want to attend, fine; if you don't, then don't.. I like that attitude. It doesn't matter if you say, "I'm coming," or "I can't be there.." I would rather just show up and that's that

I'm bringing my cooler to the Splash You're right about a lot of these events. The only good thing about the Q was I got to shoot the s*%t with a few folks I haven't seen for awhile. No offense to anyone planning the Q, but the Q was stale. It's run out of steam. It seems every time you turned around, there was another 50/50 raffle going on.

Last year was the first Splash, so there is a learning curve involved. This year it is in one location...should be a good event. I'll be dressed in my Guinness attire I picked up at St. James Gate!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zoomer

I like what JeffC has done with tshared.com. I really do. There's basically no real "forum" if you will - there's just an event log. If you want to attend, fine; if you don't, then don't.. I like that attitude. It doesn't matter if you say, "I'm coming," or "I can't be there.." I would rather just show up and that's that
This is basically why clubs, any club, have the trouble they have staying functional, never mind putting on and promoting an event.

I'd been involved in 'organized motorcycling' (an oxymoron of there ever was one) for years. Every club or organiztion has its 'types.' For the most part, there are those who do just about everything, those who show up and do little, and those that show up and do nothing. Come to think of it, there are those that don't even show up and claim to be 'in' the club, but that's another issue.

Membership dwindles in any organization for a variety of reasons, and they are often intertwined. I'm not putting blame or offering kudos to anyone in particular, but the only way to improve anything is to get involved, not back off. Of course, everyone's feelings, desires, and rationales are different, and there is no right and wrong when it comes to people's decisions to get, or not get involved.

Zip

Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Zoomer
3rd Gear
I admire your openness. Thank G-d that there is someone that speaks up, other than myself. The other thing that is worthwhile mentioning is that part of the reason why people don't get involved as much as they do, or post little, or just show up is that they don't want to be, again, I'm starting to sound like a broken record associated with the politics. I have met several people on the forums. They are all rather nice in person, once they get out from behind the computer, which, by the way, in my opinion, is a vehicle of safeness. "No-one can hurt me, I'm the great and almighty. This PC (or this Mac) helps me in that respect." Bologna. The fact is that words are just that - words. There are how many people on the forums? Let's just say 1100 on ONE forum. That means there are 1100 ways a person can take something, literally, not verbally, just because there aren't expressions behind the words. That's partly what I meant by it gets political, earlier in my postings. The other thing is that there are cliques that form out of intended club(s) or communities. If you want a club, include people - and accept them. Don't just say you're going to include them and leave them alone. Invite newcomers; perhaps initiate them - in a fun and appropriate way. If there's a problem, address it - not just by warning them, but by having them adjust to the ways of the club(s) or communities; not just by abandoning or banning them from the club(s)or communities, but having the compassion to have them understand that there is support among these club(s) or communities.

We also have to remember that a lot of the MINI communities and club(s) are all about the car - and I think we lose sight of this when we start down the wrong path with people - because they might associate the bad occurrences with the car, and that's something that isn't good. I've seen people leave the MINI community entirely because they had a bad experience; whether it be with a forum/community, club, or otherwise.

I also think that at these events, we need more of a car show. Not to toot my own horn, but during the Pepe's Meet, we had a little car line-up. Not too elaborate, but it "just happened." Show off your pride and joy. Enjoy each other's company. Provide respect if you're on (someone else's) forum - and remember that it's all about the car and the relationships you build with other people.

I'm grateful for NAM - and I'm not happy that I may have encountered some of the ill feelings because of what I stated above. For those of you who know me, I'm pretty open with my communication - and this is not because I am trying to be a jerk - I'm just trying to make a point by being sincere, open, and honest.

I appreciate what Mark has done for this forum - we all should be - in our own way - and the fact is, we are guests in his house!

As we remember all the Soldiers and individuals who are giving and gave their lives and provide support by running the government, however messed up it may be, G-d Bless America, and all the non-hostile nations of the world!

Now let's see gas back down to a price of $1.80 a gallon so that we can motivate ourselves to get back on-track (hah! that will never happen - or at least I don't think it will - but nevertheless), get out there, get together, show off our MINIs, and have a good time - especially when the MINIacs that we encounter are not ones that we may see in our everyday lives and may not be everyday best friends - however we should give respect to those who want to be a part of the MINI community/club, however it may exist.

Peace be with you all.

Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
This is basically why clubs, any club, have the trouble they have staying functional, never mind putting on and promoting an event.

I'd been involved in 'organized motorcycling' (an oxymoron of there ever was one) for years. Every club or organiztion has its 'types.' For the most part, there are those who do just about everything, those who show up and do little, and those that show up and do nothing. Come to think of it, there are those that don't even show up and claim to be 'in' the club, but that's another issue.

Membership dwindles in any organization for a variety of reasons, and they are often intertwined. I'm not putting blame or offering kudos to anyone in particular, but the only way to improve anything is to get involved, not back off. Of course, everyone's feelings, desires, and rationales are different, and there is no right and wrong when it comes to people's decisions to get, or not get involved.

Zip

Last edited by Zoomer; 05-30-2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
maximoose
2nd Gear
I wanna join a club

Was briefly part of the LI club and I totally feel what you're saying, hence eventually stopped participating. Not saying anything was wrong, it just wasn't my thing.

So I'm genuinely interested in being part of something that more suits me and meet people that are more receptive to others, a 29 year old city folk west indian with a MINI who drives fast, plays video games, paintball, and likes to break things, oh yea...have a wife and dog..yada yada yada, but you get my drift.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
Originally Posted by maximoose
Was briefly part of the LI club and I totally feel what you're saying, hence eventually stopped participating. Not saying anything was wrong, it just wasn't my thing.

So I'm genuinely interested in being part of something that more suits me and meet people that are more receptive to others, a 29 year old city folk west indian with a MINI who drives fast, plays video games, paintball, and likes to break things, oh yea...have a wife and dog..yada yada yada, but you get my drift.
http://motoringunderground.com/

Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maximoose

Although I admit I'm usually a dud when it comes to actually participating in clubs, I understand what you're saying about driving fast and breaking things. I feel like I have to be on my best behavior here on NAM in general.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Same here, I usually swear like a sailor both in person and on the other message board I frequent, where basically everything is acceptable as long as it's funny. As for motoringunderground I'm more of a lurker there as it seems to be more hardcore as far as performance goes. This actually pleases me but I don't feel that comfortable participating just yet as I've yet to get my car.

Maximoose - Another 29 year old here not from the U.S.(Ireland) who's also in Queens, I'm sure we'll be able to organise something in the future!

Dopamine - Spot on about the ownership base getting younger, I'm really looking forward to seeing your car eventually. Did you say you're a friend of James(nypepper)? He's going to be doing LOTS of work for me! Top bloke he is too.

Last edited by Mozza; 05-29-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 PM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
Hey Mozza. Right you are about James (Nypepper). Just returned from your home country. Those roads are incredible. Drove through Connemara. Good luck with your JCW. I have an '05 JCW. Try to make it out to either Oak Beach Parking lot one Sunday morning (lots of motorheads). Also, Sunday nights in Westbury, the parking lot of Century 21 dept store. Lots of Euro enthusiasts meet (predominantly VW). It's a younger crowd, good bunch of guys. It's all about the cars!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Very cool Pedro thanks for the info. Connemara is beautiful isn't it? I'm from about an hour south of there in Limerick. Yeah we certainly have some great twisties but unfortunately there are too many barriers against enjoying them fully. Primarily the fact that they're too narrow but also the fact that cars are so bloody expensive you have to be wealthy to be able to afford any sort of decent performance machine. I really can't wait to get my JCW and no doubt you and I will run into one another at some point. By the way I was looking at photos of the MiniQ, who's the guy with the 'DIET SUV' plate?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
DIET SUV is Mad Mike. Nice fellow, posts on NAM. Our cars are almost identical!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
I actually gave him a thumbs up from my work van on 3rd Ave last Friday and we ended up talking to one another whilst stopped at a light. Imagine my surprise when checking the Mini Q photos to see the same car. If you're speaking to him ask him if he remembers!

Quick Reply: NYC area MINIs!