Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Call me crazy: Nutty stereo upgrade via dealer (w/pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
where OH where!??? are those pics of Haemish sitting on the floor of his car with no seats?

"Hello Mr. Haemish - we've cut the floorboard out to give you extra Fred Flintstone power!"

Old 09-16-2007, 03:11 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a picture of Edge's in his new MR.OEM Flintstone! And here is the video we took yesterday as we were at MINI of Sterling for our monthly breakfast..Doesn't look NEARLY ready yet!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Krut
6th Gear
I'm truly frightened by the video! :-)

Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINInurse
Here is a picture of Edge's in his new MR.OEM Flintstone!

BTW, what's the flat black stuff on the roof? Protective covering for the glass sunroof? Or is that the cloth sunroof?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:25 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
If there wasn't you all saying "Heal Mr. OEM" I could of swore it was a exercism.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
BTW, what's the flat black stuff on the roof? Protective covering for the glass sunroof? Or is that the cloth sunroof?
In that photo, it looks black, but it's not. I have a vinyl sunroof cover, and it's covered in dust. It's actually a dark metallic blue, that's supposed to match my Hyper Blue, but it's not exact (hard to duplicate metallic paint with vinyl).

Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

It must be getting close now, I would think?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

It must be getting close now, I would think?
<sigh> More delays. Why? Turns out that he's having hard time putting some of the interior bits back on, because the additional (foam-type) soundproofing has made the carpet deform a bit... and things aren't fitting properly.

He said he was going to keep trying to make it fit, or else it means dismantling much of the interior again, and removing the carpet again so that he can take off the offending foam soundproofing.

Very frustrating - I especially feel bad that he's having to spend much more time than he should on it... not to mention that it's costing more, obviously.

I'm not going to visit there more than once per week, but that's the latest. Aaaaaaaaargh!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Update: All of the seats are installed, except the passenger seat! Also, the interior trim on the passenger side is in too!

A couple of problems identified that need to be addressed:
  • On three separate occasions, during the day, the DPSM cuts off completely for a few seconds when the volume gets turned up even just a "bit" loud (I'd guess 70%). However, when I tried to demonstrate the problem to the tech last Monday, at ~9pm or so when he was there, it didn't happen. It seems to be heat-related, and not just to the bass (we tried today with the bass turned ALL of the way down).

Bad amp?
  • The new bluetooth module does indeed work - we have synced at least 3 different phones to it without an issue. However, it does not appear to be hooked up properly to the head unit, because although the person we call can hear us through the microphone, we cannot hear them.
  • The foam soundproofing/carpeting issue appears to still be a problem, because the center console still isn't fully attached yet. I still hope he's able to sort it out without dismantling the interior again to remove the foam soundproofing.
I'll be visiting MoS on Monday evening to bring the problems to the tech's attention. If the amp is bad, it will be a warranty replacement, of course... and I'm hoping that the bluetooth problem is just a simple cable fix.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DPSM in GPMINI has never cut out; while my JL Audio subs / amp do bring in bass, the DPSM is still doing all that it was designed to do so it's not working any less hard than in your car.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:49 AM
PGT
Banned
an amp cutting out is generally one of three things: a) bad amp b) a short somewhere (speaker wire) or c) a bad ground. swapping the amp for another eliminates a), but the next two steps are time consuming to sort out.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Thanks for the tips - I'm swinging out there tonight to talk to the tech and fill him in on the things I've noticed. I just hope it's a bad amp and nothing more!

Update: Talked to the tech... told him about the bluetooth speaker problem - pointed out that the Nav system could see it but the head unit just never switched inputs over to the voice (usually the head unit says "PHONE" when on a call, but isn't doing that now). He will check the cables and also try swapping out head units (free H/U upgrade? yay!).

Also, thankfully the amp (or whatever the problem is in the DPSM) DID act up in his presence this time (whew!)... not only that... it seemed to get worse, where even when the head unit was switched off, you could hear clicks every few seconds coming through the speakers. Whoa! He'll look into it (including ordering a new amp of course).

Better to get these things taken care of NOW than after I pick it up!

Last edited by Edge; 09-25-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Update after visit
Old 09-26-2007, 03:39 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge

Better to get these things taken care of NOW than after I pick it up!

I don't think that is going to be a problem! Even if they have to build a new amp from scratch =(

Any updates?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
HEAL MR. OEM!! HEAL MR. OEM!! HEAL MR. OEM!!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
HEAL MR. OEM!! HEAL MR. OEM!! HEAL MR. OEM!!

is he sick? (well, maybe so)

Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
binger
1st Gear
are the old parts still for sale?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
is he sick? (well, maybe so)
Check out the video a page back.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
ah ha! missed the vid first time through that post.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Any updates?
The post you quoted was my latest update.

I am trying only to go there once a week now - I don't want to become a royal PITA. I'll probably go again on Monday night.
Originally Posted by binger
are the old parts still for sale?
Yep - all of them... although so far I have only created a thread for the H/K parts:

Complete set of H/K parts for sale

Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Unfortunately sounds like the front windows on my house will be safe this weekend...

Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Well, tomorrow morning represents exactly 6 months since I dropped the car off. It's been a tough time... I never thought I'd be without a MINI for this long (not counting the first couple of months where I drove MINI loaners)... and I certainly hope I will never have to ever again. Then again, after this, I don't think I could dream up any more mods/changes to the car that would take anywhere near this long!

I'm sure that by now, many of you who were following this are getting tired... I'm getting tired too.

I'm going to the dealership tonight to touch base with the tech once again... and I'm hoping to have some good news.

Trying to stay positive! :impatient

Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Fingers Crossed

Hopefully it will be back very very soon. Would you like my Mom to do Reiki on Mr. OEM?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Keep your chin up, Edge!

Just think how great it will be when you drive it home after its finished...

Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by krut
Hopefully it will be back very very soon. Would you like my Mom to do Reiki on Mr. OEM?
Originally Posted by astrochex
Keep your chin up, Edge!

Just think how great it will be when you drive it home after its finished...
Thanks for the well wishes...

Well, I got back, and unfortunately, not much progress. He spent quite a bit of time trying to diagnose both the bluetooth & the DPSM problems last week, and didn't get a whole lot far along on either. He ended up deciding to wait until the new DPSM amp came in, which it has... so he'll be swapping that out tonight... assuming that solves the DPSM issues, he'll go back to working on the Bluetooth!

Fingers crossed, indeed.

Found out something else that is very interesting... did you know that for many parts, including the DPSM amp, there is no way to order it separately? They ended up ordering the entire DPSM kit again, just so they could take the amp out, swap it, and send the entire (new) kit (+ old amp) back as defective. Crazy, huh?

Well, apparently they have to do this for all kinds of official MINI accessories... it's by no means unique to the DPSM. I guess that MINI has to sell a certain number of kits in order to justify stocking the replacement parts separately. The H/K amp & speakers certainly qualify, not to mention that they are factory parts, not dealer-installed accessories... but the DPSM and other accessories have this same limitation.

...makes me really hope even more than before that they'll be covered by the extended warranty when I look into getting it!

He's going to call me with the results of the testing after the amp is replaced, etc... so I'll post more then.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
As others have said 'Keep your head up!' Your car isn't simply having the HK pulled out and the DPSM installed. Your car has it all and while it was in the middle of having it's guts pulled out you added more to it. So patience is needed as the tech carefully puts it back together. :-) And when it's done, even MINI won't have a car quite like it!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Call me crazy: Nutty stereo upgrade via dealer (w/pics!)