Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I think that space is only available if you don't have DSC. IIRC, that is the location of the DSC computer.
yup! perhaps drivers side? Maybe not if you have the nav?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
I have dsc and nothing but a tool thingy in the boot. I'm prototyping some audio gear for the mini. Can't talk yet but keep your eyes out. (sorry if i dredge up an old thread i found a LOT of useful info in here)

Any idea if its better to get the signal before or after the amp?

Thanks!!
Joshua Stone

Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
DSC puts a black box under the passenger seat.

Get your signal before it goes into the amp.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Kiwi_Kevin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any tricks to removing the B and C pillar panels? I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

Thanks,
See my pics, I've made another how-to: http://www.newminiclub.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5705

If you need translation, let me know. Special thanks to Outmotoring, I wouldn't have done the replacement without that info!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Kevin
See my pics, I've made another how-to: http://www.newminiclub.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5705

If you need translation, let me know. Special thanks to Outmotoring, I wouldn't have done the replacement without that info!
Thanks, but too late.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Kiwi_Kevin
Neutral
wow that's a whole lot of dynamat You had that done or did it yourself?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Kiwi_Kevin
Neutral
Originally Posted by pdoyle
Kevin, those pictures are awesome. Could I trouble you for a translation of the text?

Thanks,
Pat
Haha thanks, I've also done the frontspeakers today: http://www.newminiclub.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5837

Here we go:

You'll need:

- Cross head screwdiver
- Small and big flathead screwdriver
- Torx 20 for the b- and c-pillars
- Torx 40 for the backseat
- Dremel or other multitool, to enlarge the speakerholes

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage or injuries caused by this how-to

Empty the trunk, remove the skidplate. To do this, you'll need to remogve the plugs that are located at marked area's on the picture. Then you're able to remove the skidplate, by pulling it up and towards you, while standing behind the car.

Next, remove the plastic covers surrounding the backseat-hook.

Remove the plugs from the sidepanels, there are aprox. 5 plugs. Same thing on the left side, watch the little light and the emergency unlocker for the fuel cap.

Then, remove the lower piece of the backseat, just pull upwards at the 2 edges of the seat. The other end is mounted bij the isofix caps. Pull them out en remove the lower part.

Remove the piece, covering the bolts of the backseat.

Cover the two round plates with for example a towel, preventing them from damaging the headrests when you lower the backrest. Unscrew the bolts at the anchorpoint. I've used a torx 40 wrench.

Then, lower the backrest, lift it up in the middle and lift one side upwards. You should get enough room to pull it out its slot. Be carefull not to force anything.

Remove the b- and c- pillar covers with torx 20 and pulling, carefull with airbag!

Now you can remove the sidepanels, starting at the bottom and work your way around. Clips are aprox. located at designated area's. Lift the upper part out of it's rail.

Now you can remove the speakers and replace them. I soldered the wires to the new speakerterminals. New speakers in and put it all back together!

Done!

ps, if there's any bad grammar or whatsoever, let me know..

Last edited by Kiwi_Kevin; 08-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
wow that's a whole lot of dynamat You had that done or did it yourself?
Doing it myself. Bought a box of 36 sq. ft. of Dynamat Extreme on ebay. Used almost all of it in the back. Still have the front to do.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Kiwi_Kevin
Neutral
Wow, that'll make a good isolated car! What is your speaker/amp setup?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Wow, that'll make a good isolated car! What is your speaker/amp setup?
I'm just replacing HIFI speakers with Infinity Kappas. So far, the 6x9s will be replaced by 693.7i. They have external crossovers, so there are two inputs on the speakers. This seems usable with the separate woofer and tweeter wiring for the HIFI 6x9s.

I don't listen to music very loud, so I'm hoping the HIFI amp will be sufficient.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Razzle
1st Gear
I'm just replacing HIFI speakers with Infinity Kappas. So far, the 6x9s will be replaced by 693.7i. They have external crossovers, so there are two inputs on the speakers. This seems usable with the separate woofer and tweeter wiring for the HIFI 6x9s.

I don't listen to music very loud, so I'm hoping the HIFI amp will be sufficient.

I was thinking of the same thing. When are you going to do the swap? I think you have picked the perfect 6x9 for a replacement. I just hope there won't be a need for the Dremel like other posts.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Razzle
I was thinking of the same thing. When are you going to do the swap? I think you have picked the perfect 6x9 for a replacement. I just hope there won't be a need for the Dremel like other posts.
Probably wont use a Dremel. I'll be using a table saw. I'm relocating the 6x9s. The rear seats have been removed. A floor will replace them and the rear will become a large trunk with a visual barrier on top. So, if I left the 6x9s in the original location they would be muffled by the visual barrier.

I'm going to build a speaker cabinet as part of a wall to separate the front from the back.

If you had caught me yesterday, or even this morning, I could have tested the fit of the Kappas for you. However, I just finished putting all the side panels back in place.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
R56-S
2nd Gear
Probably wont use a Dremel. I'll be using a table saw. I'm relocating the 6x9s. The rear seats have been removed. A floor will replace them and the rear will become a large trunk with a visual barrier on top. So, if I left the 6x9s in the original location they would be muffled by the visual barrier.

I'm going to build a speaker cabinet as part of a wall to separate the front from the back.

If you had caught me yesterday, or even this morning, I could have tested the fit of the Kappas for you. However, I just finished putting all the side panels back in place.
Any problem with the Infinitys'? they are 2 ohm load speakers as opposed to the stock 4 ohm speakers. Amp running hot for example.

Carl

Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R56-S
Any problem with the Infinitys'? they are 2 ohm load speakers as opposed to the stock 4 ohm speakers. Amp running hot for example.

Carl
The standard radio has 4 ohm speakers. I thought I read somewhere that the HIFI has 2 ohm speakers. It does have a different amp. If I'm wrong about the 2 ohms, I'm in trouble.

Haven't finished installation, so haven't run them long enough to melt the amp. The do play at about the same volume level as the standard speakers, if that is an indicator of anything.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The standard radio has 4 ohm speakers. I thought I read somewhere that the HIFI has 2 ohm speakers. It does have a different amp. If I'm wrong about the 2 ohms, I'm in trouble.

Haven't finished installation, so haven't run them long enough to melt the amp. The do play at about the same volume level as the standard speakers, if that is an indicator of anything.

Robin, you are fine. HiFi is 2 ohms.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Robin, you are fine. HiFi is 2 ohms.
Thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
R56-S
2nd Gear

Robin,
My bad. I thought you had the standard radio . Now, what am I to do with
my speaker replacement? Do you think the standard radio could handle a 2 ohm load? Anybody?

Carl

Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Do you think the standard radio could handle a 2 ohm load?

Carl

NO. Unless you want to burn it up. The lower ohms will cause a substantial increase in current that the radio isn't designed to handle.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:14 PM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
Robin,
My bad. I thought you had the standard radio . Now, what am I to do with
my speaker replacement? Do you think the standard radio could handle a 2 ohm load? Anybody?

Carl
Use a Multimeter, do a ohm check on the old speakers. The kappas I installed on my car. Look in my gallery, I have a sheet I put together with ohm's for my kappa's.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 AM
matty125
5th Gear
???? on the Remote lead????

[quote=OutMotoring;1426794]MODS: R56 Speaker Upgrade.

10- if you need a signal for line level to your amp, the rear 6x9's wiring can be used...also there is a good ground plate right there for the amp...use it.
11- if you put in an amp you will need to run at least 8 gauge from the battery....it easily snakes through behind the battery and down by the fuse block and then along the sill plate and up by the rear seat...there is a remote lead back in the boot already...it's one of the wires that is used for the prewired HK amp...
12-a good place to mount the amp is where MINI puts theirs which is on the left side behind the C pillar lower panel...

http://picasaweb.google.com/OutMotor...kerReplacement

Where in the boot is the prewired HK remote? What color is it. Thankyou

Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 PM
kookmyers
4th Gear
i am having a heck of a time getting the 4" speaker cover off! it wont budge. i am not sure where to apply pressure or how much pressure to apply. Does anyone have detailed pics of the 4" cover?
I amlost broke the ring that surrounds the door latch.
all this fun and...1. i am only on the passenger side and 2. i have not tried to get the A pillar off without breaking, scratching or marring.

one good thing so far....my 6.5" focal seems to fit without any modification whatsoever....

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
It's stuck pretty tight to the door but just pull it off. It might help to press inward at a section on the side right next to the door and apply most of your pull to that area. The side with the mirror controls is a b*&!!. It'll probably come all apart then you'll have to figure out how to assemble it again - and it isn't easy to remount.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Seik
2nd Gear
Man, what a great thread.

I was just wondering though...it seems like a few people here opted for the focals. Those are nice. I was wondering if there are any other reccomendations for front speaker replacements. I was looking at some Kenwoods, and their price is much cheaper than the focals. But I want to hear an improvement in sound, so I don't know if the Kenwood would deliver the same as the focals.

Also, I've never really replaced speakers in any of my cars. This thread has a lot of great information, and I'm sort of handy...do you think it would be wise to try to replace the front speakers on my own? Figure there has to be a first time for anything eh?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:04 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
as a reference, i have replaced stereos systems in about 4 cars. nothing ever too elaborate...just heads, speakers, amps and subs. the thing that i have been most proud of was my custom 8" subwoofer that was hidden in an unusable compartment in the rear fender.
Replacing the fronts in the Mini was a pain in the butt for me and it took me about 9 hours.
(I am very slow due to my fear of breakage..... I managed to break several pins.... )

Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
MM,
I found that the mirror switch was really easy. getting the 4" pod off (on both sides) was THE most difficult thing for me. Second most difficult was Step #2....removing the plastic surround of the door handle.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio R56 speaker replacement how-to