Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio HK speed varible volume??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 07:08 PM
rocketpop
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I suppose to have this option? I have read the manual and I have tried to follow the direction but still no workie...

I press and hold the music note button. Until it comes up and saids TONE LIN. Then I press the button again, it then goes to NAVI MIN. If I hit it again it will then go to RESET?. It never gives me the message SPEED VOL.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:11 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
Do you have Nav? I do and my HK does the same thing. Very frustrating.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:17 PM
rocketpop
3rd Gear
No NAV here!

Old 05-06-2003, 02:48 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard another person mention this. It turned out the head unit was bad. Have the HU replaced under warantee.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:53 PM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
>>Am I suppose to have this option? I have read the manual and I have tried to follow the direction but still no workie...
>>
>>I press and hold the music note button. Until it comes up and saids TONE LIN. Then I press the button again, it then goes to NAVI MIN. If I hit it again it will then go to RESET?. It never gives me the message SPEED VOL.
>>

I think you have to turn the volume **** to get it to scroll thru the options(don't quote me because my car is at home today because we are in another tornado watch day.... I am driving the 92 Nissan Maxima semi beater today ). I am not smart enough to tell if it actually works when it is on. I am constantly fine tuning the volume with the multifunction steering wheel.

jc

Old 05-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Flash
2nd Gear
I just picked up my MINI on Fri. and the speed sensing option doesn't work either. So it's not an old vs. new problem. Dealer said they're checking out fixes.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Gvoz
Neutral
My service advisor checked on the speed vol setting, but having no familiarity with the H/K unit himself, he reported back that "it was working" even though I too cannot get the Speed Vol menu to appear like the others here. Would love to know what the "official" word is.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
hey Rocket, I have the same mis-programmed head-unit. I will be contacting my dealer to see about getting the correct unit installed.

Old 05-10-2003, 11:32 AM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Ok, so have you adjusted the NAV volume? Does that make any difference to anybody on here

Old 05-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Gvoz
Neutral
Sure, I have my Nav volume at -9 and it's still deafening. But no Speed Volume.

Old 05-11-2003, 10:07 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Somethings definately broken if NAV volumn is still deafening and there's no Speed sensitivity.

Get it swapped out by your dealership.

Old 05-12-2003, 05:35 AM
snoopy
2nd Gear
Hi Guys

The speed volume in the H/K system is done by the DSP in the H/K amp. Not the head unit like the STD system. Also there is no adjustment for it, it is on the whole time and that's it.

For those of you who are interested I think it is done via dynamic compression and expansion methods.

Old 05-12-2003, 08:39 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
So is there something wrong with my HU? I have H/K and I get the 1-6 selection screen on the HU for speed volume.

>>The speed volume in the H/K system is done by the DSP in the H/K amp. Not the head unit like the STD system. Also there is no adjustment for it, it is on the whole time and that's it.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:53 AM
rocketpop
3rd Gear
OK then my amp is screw up then, becuase I have no speed varible volume at all.

The one guy that has taken his to the deal they relpaced his HU and now his works. I just need to make an appointment.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:21 PM
pamato
2nd Gear
>>hey Rocket, I have the same mis-programmed head-unit. I will be contacting my dealer to see about getting the correct unit installed.

Went by my dealer today because I only have the NAV VOL (w/ no nav), no SPEED VOL...

They plugged it into the computer and after the service manager looked at it and after a lot of scratching his head decided that I have a R50 (Regular MINI) radio... and NOT a R53 (MCS) radio... I do have the HK...

It was late in the evening and their TECH's had already gone home for the day so he asked me to bring it back tomorrow... so the tech's could take a look at it...

I'll tell you what I find out tomorrow....

P.S. Asked him about the AUX cable... he said it's on it's way from BMW supposedly in MAY!!!!

P.S.S. They also flashed my ECU to V33.1 if anyone is interested....

Old 05-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Mastenzales
2nd Gear
>>Am I suppose to have this option? I have read the manual and I have tried to follow the direction but still no workie...
>>
>>I press and hold the music note button. Until it comes up and saids TONE LIN. Then I press the button again, it then goes to NAVI MIN. If I hit it again it will then go to RESET?. It never gives me the message SPEED VOL.
>>

I had this exact problem. I have a HK and NAV< My dealer replaced my head unit and it fixed the problem. I have gotten email from others with this same problem. I can adjust the volume but it only seems to affect the NAV Volume, not the Speed compensation. I plan to have my dealer look at it again, but only when I get the desire to schlep thru another 76 round trip miles of Seattle traffic.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
See if you have picked up the dreaded 1900 rpm stumble from the flash?

Wes

Old 05-14-2003, 06:23 PM
pamato
2nd Gear
Chapter 2

Back to the dealer today....

Hooked up the MCS to the computer... pushed a lot of buttons... scratched head....
Looked at the brand new MC w/ HK being prepped.. had the same NAV VOL without the NAV option.... no SPEED VOL...

Long story short... they don't know... they are contacting MINI USA to see what's up...

Old 05-14-2003, 06:23 PM
pamato
2nd Gear
>>See if you have picked up the dreaded 1900 rpm stumble from the flash?
>>
>>Wes

Had the stumble before the flash... now it seems to be gone .... YIPEE!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2003, 01:25 PM
rgk
Neutral
Thanks for the updates, pamato. I took delivery on my MCS last week and am also missing the speed volume option; I only get the NAV VOL option after pressing TONE LIN, no SPEED VOL option. I spoke with MINI customer assistance twice, and both reps stated the upgraded H/K has speed volume permanently enabled; the adjustment is only available for the base radio. Problem is, if the speed volume is acutually enabled on my car, I certainly can't detect whether it's working. Please continue with the updates so we can get to the truth.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a feeling this non-adjustable speed volume Head-Unit ordeal is all the recently built MINI's
Thanks for telling your dealership about it Pamato, hopefully we'll get this figured out soon!
Also, I can definitely tell my background-noise sensitive volume is changing; although it seems to mostly adjust the bass level. It's annoying to have too little bass when sitting still, and then too much bass when going 50! GRRRRR.

...the saga continues...

Old 07-26-2003, 09:17 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Has this been worked out yet? whats the real deal? I have the H/K system by i cannot adjust the speed sensitive volume like others have said... Do i have the wrong head unit?? mines a Feb Build MCS

Old 07-27-2003, 09:04 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
(educated guess mode on)
I think the HK amp has a speed compensation scheme which is not adjustable so the "SPEED VOL" setting has no function. Seems the intent was to make the head unit hide the setting to avoid confusion - but perhaps early systems did not do this.

I "experimented" with an aftermarket amp instead of the HK - I was very aware of needing to turn up the volume at speed; before and after, with the HK amp, I do not find such a need.
So I think that there is some subtle speed compensation occurring - but only meters or scopes could prove it.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:11 AM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
I have a 2003 MINI S with HK

If I press and hold the music note button for about three seconds, it comes up TONE LIN. Press the button again, it changes to SPEED VOL - # (# being a number). When you rotate the volume control you can adjust it from 0-5. Press the button again, it changes to NAVI VOL - # (# being a number). You can rotate the volume control and adjust it from 0-9. Press the button again it will change to RESET?. Hope this helps.

By the way, my Cooper S is Jet Black with White cap and wheels. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it?

Old 07-27-2003, 07:00 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Charles, my HK also does/did this.
The question is - does your setting make any difference? If it has any effect you should be able to tell the difference between setting 1 and 6.
Most HK owners seem to either not have this setting, or find it has no effect.

Color is unlikely to be an issue - when was your MCS built? Mine, built 01/10/03, was an early HK build.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio HK speed varible volume??