Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 AM
wiimotor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,
I just installed the Dice and everything works fine when the dice dock cable is connected directly to the ipod itself. When i connect the dice dock cable to the ipod dock then plugging the ipod onto the dock, the Dice doesn't recognize the ipod. I have a G4 20gb ipod and the car has nav as well.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Macbest
2nd Gear
Tom: more diagonsitic info

Tom:

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Macbest
2nd Gear
Tom: more diagonsitic info

Tom:

Here is some more diagonistic info for the DICE with a 2007 Convert with Nav and H/K.

1. As I mentioned before, when the iPod goes to sleep, which usually is after 36-48 hours, the DICE does not recognize the iPod in terms of what track/playlist/album you are on. You can only change songs by changing CD3, the album selection. During this time, you can get the songs to show on the radio and as before, it takes over the nav.

2. New info: When you get back in the car after a couple of hours (not sure of the exact length but at least 2-3 hours), the DICE figures out where it is and everything works fine in terms of controls (mine still doesn't show the album or playlist name, however). If you had it show the song name and had the nav on in the previous step, then the songs names will show in the radio, but the nav goes back to normal (no DICE hijacking the nav)!

I did some testing and as long as you don't change the mode on the radio (changing out of CD changer/iPod to radio or other), all subsequent starts of the car will have the nav system working fine and the song names showing on the radio like it should. The only time the DICE goes back to taking over the NAV is when you change the radio mode.

Tom, this is provided so you have some additional feedback in performing your diagonistics. It seems that the mode button is what "reconnects" the DICE to the NAV and that left untouched (after starting and stopping the car/iPod) it seems that the DICE ends up doing what it should/want to do.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by wiimotor
Tom,
I just installed the Dice and everything works fine when the dice dock cable is connected directly to the ipod itself. When i connect the dice dock cable to the ipod dock then plugging the ipod onto the dock, the Dice doesn't recognize the ipod. I have a G4 20gb ipod and the car has nav as well.
Is the iPod booting up while connected to the DICE? If so - this is why you are experiencing this.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Macbest
Tom:

Here is some more diagonistic info for the DICE with a 2007 Convert with Nav and H/K.

1. As I mentioned before, when the iPod goes to sleep, which usually is after 36-48 hours, the DICE does not recognize the iPod in terms of what track/playlist/album you are on. You can only change songs by changing CD3, the album selection. During this time, you can get the songs to show on the radio and as before, it takes over the nav.
This would mean the iPod is entering Deep Sleep mode, turn on the iPod before connecting to the DICE.

Originally Posted by Macbest
2. New info: When you get back in the car after a couple of hours (not sure of the exact length but at least 2-3 hours), the DICE figures out where it is and everything works fine in terms of controls (mine still doesn't show the album or playlist name, however). If you had it show the song name and had the nav on in the previous step, then the songs names will show in the radio, but the nav goes back to normal (no DICE hijacking the nav)!

I did some testing and as long as you don't change the mode on the radio (changing out of CD changer/iPod to radio or other), all subsequent starts of the car will have the nav system working fine and the song names showing on the radio like it should. The only time the DICE goes back to taking over the NAV is when you change the radio mode.

Tom, this is provided so you have some additional feedback in performing your diagonistics. It seems that the mode button is what "reconnects" the DICE to the NAV and that left untouched (after starting and stopping the car/iPod) it seems that the DICE ends up doing what it should/want to do.
Thanks for the feedback, this will help in diagnositcs.

On a further note - do you have the following command in your NAV settings: NAVIGATION/GPS>MAPS? I do not have a MINI handy to check for myself at the moment.

If so, scroll to those selections while in iPod mode and let me know if this overwrites the text.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Macbest
2nd Gear
Tom:
I usually leave my Nav in the maps mode while driving. When displaying text, the DICE does overwrite the maps, but as mentioned, only the first time (when you select text) not on subsequent engine restarts (and again, only if you don't change the mode). If you change the mode, it overwrites the map with text (screen says Phone in upper left corner).

Old 06-11-2007, 09:38 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Am I correct, the unit requires an additional antena?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
wiimotor
1st Gear
anyone know the pinout of the Dice dock connector and the original ipod Dock? thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 PM
DanC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CARdiac
Am I correct, the unit requires an additional antena?
Only the HD Dice need an external HD Radio antenna that is included. the regular Dice unit does not.

Last edited by DanC; 06-11-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by motoring
anyone know the pinout of the Dice dock connector and the original ipod Dock? thanks
We spoke via phone & email - the pinout on the Apple dock is slightly different and we recommend this is not used in a moving vehicle.

Doing so can be very dangerous if involved in an accident and will case premature wear on the dock connector over time. This is why the DICE cradle is recommended if you do not want to use a dock cable only.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bjerk
Only the HD Dice need an external HD Radio antenna that is included. the regular Dice unit does not.
Can the antenna be hidden in the antenna base with the GPS?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by CARdiac
Can the antenna be hidden in the antenna base with the GPS?
As long as the antenna element has a clear view of the sky, no problem.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Volker
4th Gear
Hi all,
I went to this thread twice and think I'm now more confused than before

I'm gonna pick up my 2006 MCC tomorrow. It got the H+K kit but I don't know if it has the CD Changer cable already in there, I will check.

- The DICE as trunk install (not HD) gets the power strictly from the CD changer cable, no other connections required, right ?
- The same power source is also routed to the iPod then of course, right ?
- If I don't mind I could leave the iPod in the boot instead of routing a longer cable to the front, right ?
- My radio will show me Song names, Album names (then Song names inside the album) but won't show me the name of the Playlist (but then again the Songname inside the Playlist), correct ? I assume that results from the playlist not having an ID tag ?
- Is there a difference between the tags for mp3 and say AAC files like the ones from the iTunes Store ? Both will show up as text, right ?

Sorry, I really don't want to short cut here or ask the same questions already answered but I really lost the overview.

Thanks,
Volker

Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Volker
Hi all,
I went to this thread twice and think I'm now more confused than before

I'm gonna pick up my 2006 MCC tomorrow. It got the H+K kit but I don't know if it has the CD Changer cable already in there, I will check.

- The DICE as trunk install (not HD) gets the power strictly from the CD changer cable, no other connections required, right ?
Correct.

- The same power source is also routed to the iPod then of course, right ?
Correct x2.

- If I don't mind I could leave the iPod in the boot instead of routing a longer cable to the front, right ?
You could leave the iPod in the cargo area if you wish, however it is much convenient up front with you.

- My radio will show me Song names, Album names (then Song names inside the album) but won't show me the name of the Playlist (but then again the Songname inside the Playlist), correct ? I assume that results from the playlist not having an ID tag ?
You will see Artist, Song and Album information while in play. The iPod does not show Playlist directories, but you can add voicetags to announce the Playlists. We have a DIY listed here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=104798

- Is there a difference between the tags for mp3 and say AAC files like the ones from the iTunes Store ? Both will show up as text, right ?
Both MP3 and AAC have ID3 text - they will show up on your display.

Sorry, I really don't want to short cut here or ask the same questions already answered but I really lost the overview.

Thanks,
Volker
No worries, the purpose of this thread is to answer questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many DICE problem threads. See HD-DICE Q/A thread for a significant issue I am having with mine.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:39 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Too many DICE problem threads. See HD-DICE Q/A thread for a significant issue I am having with mine.
You're confusing problems with our Q/A discussion threads. We have no problem answering questions in an open forum, which is why we created the threads.

There are no problems with the DICE & MINI other than text display with NAV-equipped vehicles, which is something that is under investigation at this time.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, you missunderstood. Wasn't implying too many problems (although I am a bit grumpy with my issue). My point is there is are multiple threads where the units are discussed:

[eas] Official DICE High Definition Radio (w/ iPod support) Q/A thread (3 Pages)
[eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread
(15 Pages)
New info on DICE Electronics iPod adaptor
(17 pages)

Point is there are a lot of messages to weed through to try to find answers.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Sorry, you missunderstood. Wasn't implying too many problems (although I am a bit grumpy with my issue). My point is there is are multiple threads where the units are discussed:

[eas] Official DICE High Definition Radio (w/ iPod support) Q/A thread (3 Pages)
[eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread
(15 Pages)
New info on DICE Electronics iPod adaptor
(17 pages)

Point is there are a lot of messages to weed through to try to find answers.
Simply ask the question again and we'll do our best to answer. I'll reply to your other question in the proper thread.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Kellonwheels
1st Gear
Does the DICE work with the iPhone?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Kellonwheels
Does the DICE work with the iPhone?
Yes - both the DICE and HD DICE are compatible with the iPhone

Old 07-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom,

I read through the this thread and I still am a bit confused. I have a September 2002 build 2003 Mini. It does not play MP3s and currently has the OEM AUX adapter installed. I am interested in the Dice unit but I have a couple of questions.

1-What is the difference in the trunk or radio models? I think I have the changer plug in the boot but I am not sure. Of course I can look if necessary. You say the only difference is that you don't have to run the cable from the boot. Why would anyone want the boot model?

2-I will eventually be installing a Parrot Bluetooth unit too. Will this work with it or preclude the Parrot installation? What do you think the best iPod/Bluetooth option would be for a 2003 if not the Parrot?

3-I understand that my HU won't do ID3 tags but what will the HU display when I am using the iPod? I have a two spoke wheel. What functions will the buttons have. I think I can get my hands on an 05 HU that will play MP3s. Will this be any advantage for me other than the ID tags?

4-And if in the future I wanted to go with an integrated satellite radio (I am waiting for XM and Sirius to be one) will this be possible?

On behalf of everyone I thank you for your yeoman’s work on this thread. Clearly I am not the only one who is confused. <G>

Rich

Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Tom,

I read through the this thread and I still am a bit confused. I have a September 2002 build 2003 Mini. It does not play MP3s and currently has the OEM AUX adapter installed. I am interested in the Dice unit but I have a couple of questions.

1-What is the difference in the trunk or radio models? I think I have the changer plug in the boot but I am not sure. Of course I can look if necessary. You say the only difference is that you don't have to run the cable from the boot. Why would anyone want the boot model?
Nothing other than your preferred method of installation. Most people prefer the radio interface kit since it is an easier installation. The only time you would require a trunk interface kit is if you plan to run OEM Sirius or XM Direct, which requires the trunk connectors.

2-I will eventually be installing a Parrot Bluetooth unit too. Will this work with it or preclude the Parrot installation? What do you think the best iPod/Bluetooth option would be for a 2003 if not the Parrot?
No idea on the Parrot systems - we prefer the OEM Bluetooth system.

3-I understand that my HU won't do ID3 tags but what will the HU display when I am using the iPod? I have a two spoke wheel. What functions will the buttons have. I think I can get my hands on an 05 HU that will play MP3s. Will this be any advantage for me other than the ID tags?
The HU will display CD 1-01, 1-02, etc since we are emulating the CD Changer. If you do happen to score on a 2005+ HU, you will regain text display on the radio. Do keep in mind that text display is on your iPod at all times.

4-And if in the future I wanted to go with an integrated satellite radio (I am waiting for XM and Sirius to be one) will this be possible?

On behalf of everyone I thank you for your yeoman’s work on this thread. Clearly I am not the only one who is confused. <G>

Rich
There's no telling when the merger will take place, but most people prefer the XM Direct kits since they are about 1/3 the cost of Sirius in equipment. Ifgoing this route - be sure to order the Trunk Interface kit on your DICE configuration.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 AM
tank157
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Yes - both the DICE and HD DICE are compatible with the iPhone
Is the full functionality supposed to be supported with the DICE and the iPhone? When I connected my iPhone up, it warned me about not being an approved accessory as expected, I declined turning off the cellular services, but the iPhone would not allow me to interact with the iPod functionality. I could play, and I think advance to the next song, but the iPhone screen wouldn't display any info nor give me any controls. I guess I can use the DICE controls through using the station buttons, but it'd be nice to have the iPhone screen and controls to work with. Is it a problem with my setup, or is this the expected results?

-tank157

Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by tank157
Is the full functionality supposed to be supported with the DICE and the iPhone? When I connected my iPhone up, it warned me about not being an approved accessory as expected, I declined turning off the cellular services, but the iPhone would not allow me to interact with the iPod functionality. I could play, and I think advance to the next song, but the iPhone screen wouldn't display any info nor give me any controls. I guess I can use the DICE controls through using the station buttons, but it'd be nice to have the iPhone screen and controls to work with. Is it a problem with my setup, or is this the expected results?

-tank157
The iPhone will want to go into airplane mode, this will disable the iPhone controls. All steering wheel and radio controls will be active.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
...The only time you would require a trunk interface kit is if you plan to run OEM Sirius or XM Direct, which requires the trunk connectors.

No idea on the Parrot systems - we prefer the OEM Bluetooth system.

If you do happen to score on a 2005+ HU, you will regain text display on the radio. Do keep in mind that text display is on your iPod at all times.

There's no telling when the merger will take place, but most people prefer the XM Direct kits...
OK. So if I get the boot mount Dice I can add XM and/or the OEM Bluetooth Adapter later? And if I upgrade to a 2005 head unit everything will plug directly into the new HU without modification and I'll see more information on the display? Fact is all I do with my iPod are Audio Books and Shuffle play for music.

Sounds like the best of all worlds? Am I missing something?

Rich

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread