Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Drive your very own MINI on the factory Nav screen!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
Just curious - what method did you use to extract .PNG files for the OEM Nav from the Nuvi's .SRF files?
Hi Edge,

Ah... Ancient Chinese secret Grasshopper!

I used this incredible piece of scripting work created by ezran over on the GpsPasSion Forums:

srf2png Vehicle File Converter

He talks all about it here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=78125

I then used this great little (and totally free) image/photo editing program to convert and resize the resulting 2881x160 pixel (multi-image) transparent PNG-24 graphic into smaller 48x48 pixel images which can then be used over in NavTweak:

Paint.NET

It took a whole lot of work, but the end result was well worth it IMHO.

BTW, you can do the same thing with any of the custom Garmin 3D Vehicle Icons shown here if you so desire:

http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/download.jsp

-- MIKE

Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Awesome... thanks. Methinks I'm going to want to create custom icons, with the Garmin ones as the starting template. I must have HB/HB with no stripes!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Yes, I need to get around to doing a HB/Blk MCS with stripes for myself. I'm not very good and re-coloring images though. Need to find a good photoshop editor person to do it for me.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Also... Me thinks that the MINI is still a bit too big. It needs to be sized down some more like the original blue & white one I was using before. It looks a bit awkward to me being that big on the nav display. However, that's exactly how it is on the MINI portable nav/Garmin nuvi units and folks don't seem to mind (i.e. they like it that way)???

Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I don't supposed you'd mind supplying a copy of the separate 48x48 PNG images? I'd be willing to give it a shot to reduce their size & try recoloring them... but I'm no artist!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I finally figured out how to change the color of the MINI vehicle icons. Here's what they look like converted to Hyper Blue (or at least as close as I could get to HB anyway) and shrunk down to a much smaller (i.e. more manageable) size. Note that you loose a bit of detail with the smaller sized vehicle icons, but I think they work better with the nav system. With the larger icons, the MINI icon needs to be at least half way through a street/intersection on the map before your car actually gets there (at lower zoom levels anyway). Whereas with smaller versions, it's more like it is with the default arrow pointer (i.e. the MINI icon reaches the street/intersection when your actual car does).

Again, my camera is not the greatest and so the pics are a bit blurry. But you can get the gist of what it looks like.

Smaller 3D MINI Vehicle Icons

Smaller 2D MINI Vehicle Icons

Last edited by TheOfficeMaven; 11-03-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
MotorAll50
Neutral
3D Mini SRF

I am sorry if this is a repeat. I appreciate all the instruction and resources on customizing a Nav icon, but I am just not tech savvy enough to pull off some of this. Does anyone have a *.srf file of a blue Mini Cooper with a Union Jack roof? I have been searching for a while, but with little luck. Any help is appreciated. Again, sorry if this is a repeat.

Cheers,
jMD

Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM
MotorAll50
Neutral
Shagadelic

Yeah! I got it! Mrs Kensington is all tarted up for a weekend drive up the East Coast Special thanks to BBCooper!

Originally Posted by MotorAll50
I am sorry if this is a repeat. I appreciate all the instruction and resources on customizing a Nav icon, but I am just not tech savvy enough to pull off some of this. Does anyone have a *.srf file of a blue Mini Cooper with a Union Jack roof? I have been searching for a while, but with little luck. Any help is appreciated. Again, sorry if this is a repeat.

Cheers,
jMD

Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
DreamingTwig
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Edge,

Okay, you're right... I guess that I have been slacking off quite a bit lately. Kudos to you for being there to pick up the slack.

everytimeidie027,

Actually, portable navigation device (PND) manufacturers such as Garmin are now starting to include customizable vehicle icons as a feature in their newer devices (like the nüvi, Zumo, etc.). Garmin still only allows you to select from a pre-defined set of vehicles in various colors (such as a sports car, compact car, truck, motorcycle, etc. - all of which look really nice), but I'm sure that they will expand this in the future to allow users to create and use their own custom vehicle icons just like we're doing here with our MINI's factory nav system.

I guess that BMW/MINI is leading the way in this area without even knowing it.

BTW, you can check out Garmin's custom vehicle icons here:

http://www.garmin.com/vehicles/index.jsp

and/or

http://www.garmin.com/vehicles/download.jsp

It sure would be nice if we could find someone with the artistic capability to create a nice set of 3D vehicle icons like the Garmin ones for use with our MINI's factory nav system though.
So... There aint no way to get the MINI icons into a .srf that the Garmin's use? :( poop.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Sure there is... There's a whole thread going on over in the 2nd gen forums where you can download MINI's in every imaginable color combo in SRF format for use on your Garmin units. I believe the thread is located in the 2nd Gen Coupe (2007+) Talk forum.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
just ordered the latest maps for the MINI and thought i should probably upgrade the software while i was at it - first time doing so and if you follow all the steps Mike provided on the first page (especially burning the ISO at the lowest settings - got the "incorrect CD/DVD error" the first two times!), it shouldn't take a n00b more than a few hours to figure it all out.... took me WAAAAAY longer because i made identical icons as my DS/W MCS - no you can't have them because your car doesn't look like mine!!! redid the boot logo as well from reading around on X5World too!

thanks for the help Mike, good to see there are still helpful people on here since i've been gone for so long!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Ha! It's great to hear that there's someone else running around with a MINI on their factory nav screen. Thought that I was the only one.

Glad that it all worked out for you. I still get a kick out of mine every time I get in my MINI.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 AM
DreamingTwig
3rd Gear
HOLY $%@^!!! THANKS!!! Life is suddenly great! Now I'll write my $3,400 tax bill with a smile!!

woohoo!!!

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Sure there is... There's a whole thread going on over in the 2nd gen forums where you can download MINI's in every imaginable color combo in SRF format for use on your Garmin units. I believe the thread is located in the 2nd Gen Coupe (2007+) Talk forum.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 AM
fourblades
1st Gear
Hello, I've been reading thoroughly on this one and it seem I've hit some few walls, I've followed the link that Twister has supposedly made and it's a broken link. Would you recommend going v27 or v28 as a start up? I can't even seem to find the v28 in the x5world anymore too but the v27 is there so that seems to be my choice for now. There's a v29 out too. If anyone can help me a little on this one even by PM, I'd really appreciate it. I've got the Navtweak working by the way, just want to know more how to change the cursor/pointer to my MINI that's CR/B color...

Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
davecrook1
Neutral
i know this is an old thread but im desperate to get this to work..
ive got the 36 images of a mini in 3d.. but how to i modify it?? colours etc.. and reduce its size within Paint.net???
also how to i get 36 individual files of each angle to replace the 24 of the 2d files that are already on the OS?? please if someone could explain in detail how to do the 3d mini thing that'd be great..

Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Avitor
3rd Gear
Office Mavin, the links to vehicle icon you posted all appear to be broken, could you repost them?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
davecrook1
Neutral
ive now done this on my mini and also have the cameras working with audio...