Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 1st Time Nav Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Thadeus13
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Time Nav Update

I've been searching around this part of the forums once and a while but never really had the drive to actually update the nav. Well, the bug hit me and now I want to upgrade. Unfortunately, there is an abundance of information here and multiple threads about multiple versions, so I'm getting confused.

I would like the British voice as well as the latest map DVD and Nav OS SOftware.

I noticed that V28 has arrived and wanted to do all the updates at once.

1) Can I just do the update to V28 from my current version? I have a 2005 MCS and have not updated the software at all.

2) The British voice post that is stickied is rather old, has anything changed since then that would require me to do something different for V28 OS?

3) I noticed that someone on the "New Nav V28 " thread posted a V28 + GB Hack, is that good for what I want to do?

4) Where can I get the latest map DVD?

Thanks for all of your help guys, and I apologize if this is a repeat of other threads.

P.S. - I'm tech savvy, so you dont have to sugar coat anything for me

-Thad

Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thadeus13
I've been searching around this part of the forums once and a while but never really had the drive to actually update the nav. Well, the bug hit me and now I want to upgrade. Unfortunately, there is an abundance of information here and multiple threads about multiple versions, so I'm getting confused.

I would like the British voice as well as the latest map DVD and Nav OS SOftware.

I noticed that V28 has arrived and wanted to do all the updates at once.

1) Can I just do the update to V28 from my current version? I have a 2005 MCS and have not updated the software at all.

2) The British voice post that is stickied is rather old, has anything changed since then that would require me to do something different for V28 OS?

3) I noticed that someone on the "New Nav V28 " thread posted a V28 + GB Hack, is that good for what I want to do?

4) Where can I get the latest map DVD?

Thanks for all of your help guys, and I apologize if this is a repeat of other threads.

P.S. - I'm tech savvy, so you dont have to sugar coat anything for me

-Thad
Thad,

You can update directly to v28, but if you want the British voice, you will have to use a hacked firmware load of V28. So, if you find one, that is the one to use. As for the map disks, there is only two ways to update this. Either buy it from Navteq or BMW.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Thadeus13,

Before you go messing with any hacked versions of the update, consider that you might not have to. As far as I'm aware, all OEM Nav systems released in the last few years for USA-bound MINIs already come with both USA and GB language/country choices... so you just select GB and you'll get the British voice.

Check your Settings - if you have both USA and GB in the option list, you don't need to mess with a hacked version.

I have also a 2005 MCS with Nav, manufactured just a few months before yours, and my car came with GB as an option from day one. I have never needed the hacked Nav!

And yes, you can update from any version directly to V28. It will then show up on your settings screen as 4-1/80.

Finally, for the map disc updates, the only legal ways to obtain it are directly from NAVTEQ or from your MINI dealership. Either way it costs $199.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Thadeus13
2nd Gear
That's strange. From what I remember, and this is from my desk at work, is that I don't have a GB option on my selection. I'll have to check again this evening when I get home.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Edge
Thadeus13,

Before you go messing with any hacked versions of the update, consider that you might not have to. As far as I'm aware, all OEM Nav systems released in the last few years for USA-bound MINIs already come with both USA and GB language/country choices... so you just select GB and you'll get the British voice.

Check your Settings - if you have both USA and GB in the option list, you don't need to mess with a hacked version.

I have also a 2005 MCS with Nav, manufactured just a few months before yours, and my car came with GB as an option from day one. I have never needed the hacked Nav!

And yes, you can update from any version directly to V28. It will then show up on your settings screen as 4-1/80.

Finally, for the map disc updates, the only legal ways to obtain it are directly from NAVTEQ or from your MINI dealership. Either way it costs $199.
Beat me to the punch

Probaly the best How-to on upgrading the Nav OS is here.

Unhacked version here.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
That's strange. From what I remember, and this is from my desk at work, is that I don't have a GB option on my selection. I'll have to check again this evening when I get home.
You should have three options - I have USA, GB and ?E? - the 3rd one is Spanish, I think it said E (for Espanol), I don't remember for sure.

If you don't have GB on the list, then yes you'll need a hacked version, which is basically the same update disc, but the USA voice files are overwritten with the GB versions.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Edge
You should have three options - I have USA, GB and ?E? - the 3rd one is Spanish, I think it said E (for Espanol), I don't remember for sure.
Yes I believe that is the order and names. Haven't changed from GB in so long

Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Thadeus13
2nd Gear
Completed

OK guys, thanks for the help. I just finished the update and now am running the new v28 software.

I do have one quick question, on everyone pictures for this software and the last, I see the "3D" perspective. The one where you see the "car" from a 3rd person view, not top down. However, I don't have that view nor do I have the option to change the perspective in the Settings or the Navigation Settings.

What would be the reason for this? Note that with my 2005 I received a 2003-2 DVD and I will be receiving the new 2007.1 DVD in a few days. Would this be a new update with the map dvd rather than the software?

Thanks again!
-Thad

Old 10-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Perspective mode

It's a "hidden" feature that is disabled at first... to enable it as a view option (alongside "Pointing North" and "Travel Direction"), just do this:
  1. Go to the Settings screen
  2. Hold down the Menu button for 10 seconds (a special system menu comes up)
  3. Scroll to the next page, click on "Perspective" and enable it
  4. Now go back to the map mode, and Perspective will be available as a new view mode.
Enjoy.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Thadeus13
2nd Gear
Ohhh those sneaky little, Mini people. Sounds redundant. I'll head out and do that now.

Thanks for the help as usual!

-Thad

Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Thadeus13
2nd Gear
Ok just did it. A lot of nifty stuff in that menu. Perspective works now though. I appreciate the help!

-Thad

Old 10-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Perspective works now though. I appreciate the help!
You're welcome!