Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Double DIN install Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double DIN install Possible?

I have said that I wouldn't touch the stereo because it would mean an all out attack on the car but I saw found out something cool today (from my distributor/rep) and thought what the heck!

Kenwood is releasing the DDX-6019 wich is a double DIN size 6.5" color touchscreen CD/DVD player. I have no interest in video just audio with the possibility of NAV.

The coolest part is the fact that this will be the first in the line to allow a bluetooth integration (with an adapter). What this means is that the caller ID will show up on screen and I can answer that way through the system. It will also allow dialing from the touchscreen without touching my phone! Considering I spend several hours a day in my car (over 100 miles) and over 5000 minutes a month on the phone (probably 30% of that in the car) I thought this may be very handy.

Now onto what I want to know about.

has anyone ever repositioned both the A/C and switch panel one DIN unit lower and used a dual DIN in the space of the current radio? It cannot go below because of the touch screen capability.

I would appreciate any insight before I rip apart the dash to fgure it out!

chris

Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant you get the same thing with the new Pioneer Avics? Integrated XM, traffic, plus Bluetooth.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:24 PM
felix
2nd Gear
I want to know also

I know single din units with pop up displays are available, but I also would prefer the cleaner look of the double din unit. Anyone ever seen the ac and switch units moved down?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Cant you get the same thing with the new Pioneer Avics? Integrated XM, traffic, plus Bluetooth.
Not quite sure. I just know this will now be available in the Kenwood stuff and can get it from my distributors....

Someone has to have done this before? I have done this to a few other cars in the past but not the MINI.

I guess I may have to attack the dash in the next weekend or so to see what is possible.

I plan on breaking down most of the interior anyway so I can dynamat the whole thing for better sound deadening (I no longer have rear seats and it gets a little louder back there than normal)...

any info from anyone would be great before I try and re-invent the wheel (if I don't have to) otherwise I may be inventing the wheel in this case.

felix- i'll keep you posted on what I find. Typically there is enough hose/wiring in the a/c and other accessories to allow movement but only time will tell.

chris

Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
This has been done, but I cannot quite remember by who.

Edit: found it, here you go. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=mac+mini