Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Base vs. HK system....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
CooperSigma
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
The MA adjusted the H/K for me so it wasn't too boomy. Too me it was & IMHO wasn't worth the $500 cost. I did play with the settings, but couldn't find a setting that was worth $500 to me. Your milage may vary. I'm glad you enjoy your H/K system.

Chuck

Best line in the whole thread.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
This thread reminds me of something I once heard during a discussion on HDTVs. What do you call a person that can't tell the difference between High Def and standard TVs??? LUCKY! They get to save a ton of money buying TVs. I always recommend people listen to the HK system first. If it meets their needs and they can tell the difference between it and the standard system, then get it. If they want more, go aftermarket. Just remember, HK doesn't play well with others. It's a bastard to integrate with aftermarket components!

Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Do you want a true HK system or what is sold to BMW/MINI with a cool name? The HK system in my MCoupe is less than impressive and I would rather spend the $550 on any other upgrade than the sound system. The HK speakers in my car have cardboard cones which after awhile just fall apart. And because 3ohm midrange speakers like that are unique you have to go back to BMW and buy crazy expensive ones from them.
YIKES

My vote is to buy a nice aftermarket system if you are an audiophile, otherwise stock is fine. I actually laughed at my MA when she suggested the HK system for my Cooper S. So I have stock.

H

Old 11-30-2005, 06:12 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
I like the H/K system... I wanted a upgrade over the basic system but still wanted it to look OEM.... not aftermarkety.... and I wanted it done...not have to screw with it after I get the car...

H/K does just that... 8 speakers and an Amp.... clear sound...nice bass.... fully adjustable....and at $500 bucks... that is going to be less than your going to spend on a head unit, speakers, amp to throw in...

Old 11-30-2005, 07:00 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roehrigs01
...and at $500 bucks... that is going to be less than your going to spend on a head unit, speakers, amp to throw in...
$500 can get you a head unit, speakers and an amp that imo sound better than the HK. But not the labor. If you can't diys, add about $350 for the install and hope yours isn't the first MINI he's ever worked on.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davisflyer
I am getting ready to order my 06 MCS. Just to preface, I am not interested in going aftermarket at this time. That being said, is the HK system worth $500 over the base cd stereo. The car I test drove had the base stereo and it seamed clear, with well balance tones. I've read a lot of threads about the HK recently that people don't like it, yet on Edmunds.com, they call the HK one of the best factory systems they have heard.

Thoughts anyone......

Go for it...the money isn't much compared to the amount of time you'll be using it. It does sound great.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Some one suggested this here or on mini2 - make a cd with some of your favorite tunes on it. Take it the dealer and listen to it on both systems... That's what I did and I immediately knew I wanted the h/k. That's the only way you'll know.

After years of putting in aftermarkets in my Civics I didn't want to start taking apart my new MINI

Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM
findude
4th Gear
go for the H/K

We opted for it on our 06 MCS; it is a great stereo and I'd order it again if I was placing an order today.

One disappointment: the MCS coupe we test drove had the base system, but I wanted to hear the H/K. The only test driver available at the moment was a cabriolet, we took it for a drive and really loved the sound of the H/K. I was particularly impressed with the speed-sensitive volume (where it automatically increases volume with speed--owner's can adjust the amount of boost). However, when we picked up our MCS coupe, we learned that the speed-sensitive volume only comes on the cabriolets. It doesn't make sense to me because the price of the H/K is the same whether it is a coupe or cabriolet.

So, does anybody know if this is a hidden feature that I can turn on by pressing the right buttons?

Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
115hp
5th Gear
My pre-HK 2002 Cooper has an adjustable speed-sensitive volume contol. To adjust it I press and hold the note button, then the display changes to "TONE LIN" and I press it again until the display changes to "SPEED VOL", then I turn the **** to make my selection from 1-6 (the higher the number the higher the increase in volume).

Old 12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
C4
Banned
Unfortunately you can't. I also have the H/K stereo in my '05 MCS hardtop and adjusting the speed sensitive volume is simply not an option. My wife owns a '02 Cooper CVT with the standard factory stereo and she does have the speed volume option.

Originally Posted by findude
We opted for it on our 06 MCS; it is a great stereo and I'd order it again if I was placing an order today.

One disappointment: the MCS coupe we test drove had the base system, but I wanted to hear the H/K. The only test driver available at the moment was a cabriolet, we took it for a drive and really loved the sound of the H/K. I was particularly impressed with the speed-sensitive volume (where it automatically increases volume with speed--owner's can adjust the amount of boost). However, when we picked up our MCS coupe, we learned that the speed-sensitive volume only comes on the cabriolets. It doesn't make sense to me because the price of the H/K is the same whether it is a coupe or cabriolet.

So, does anybody know if this is a hidden feature that I can turn on by pressing the right buttons?