Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio What should I do with these audio components?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:59 AM
kapolani
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all!
I'm not that educated when it comes to car audio. I got hooked up in college with a system that I used in my previous car. I took out the old amps and speakers and I'm planning on using it in my Mini Cooper S.

I have a few questions and would like to get some help.

1) I have two amps - Crossfire - CFA302 150 x 2 - and CFA354 70 x 4

2) I have two 12" DBCrossfire woofers.

In my previous car I had MB Quartz all around and the above components. I liked the sound, but now want to put only on 12" sub in the back of my Cooper and use the amps.

Are these amps and woofers still decent?

If I don't use my existing hardware I have about 800 to 1000 dollars that I'm willing to spend.

What would you all suggest? I'm going to have the install done by an audio installer.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-23-2003, 11:43 AM
kapolani
2nd Gear
Also, does anyone know if there is a wiring harness kit out for the MCS yet?

Old 01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
minhi
2nd Gear
you can get a wiriness from logjamelectronics.com, it's the metra BW/AUDI/BMW one. alternatively you can also get a whole kit (harness, face adaptor, antenna adaptor) for about $45 from dealers in the UK.

those are good amps, i would use those as a base and just add some components. maybe take that 150X2 amp and bridge it to drive the single woofer.

Old 01-24-2003, 06:32 AM
kapolani
2nd Gear
thanks for the reply!

Old 02-03-2003, 09:05 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Use the amps man, they will sound fine. The fronts are 5" and will supposidly fit up to about 6.5" with some minor mod ( you have to do that anyway as the oem speakers are these proprietary pieces of junk integrated into a proper mount. The rears are standard 6x9's (also of AM radio quality). I bought a set of used Focal 130H 5.5" on eBay and ripped out the stock speakers from the mount to which mounted the Focals. Took about 15 minutes per speaker and it worked great. The tweeters fit into the existing mounts and can be stabilized with a little foam and tape. That was $70. Bought new 6x9 Focal 690CA's for $120 on EBay. They screw right in after you remove the rear seat, seat belt anchors and the entire rear panel. After you do it once you can do it in about 20 minutes but the first time is a bear. Be sure to find the instructions on the net for removing the rear seat backs and give them to your installer. Its easy, but you can break the mounts easily if you don't know what to expect. I bought two line adapters ($25 per) and an amp (you already have that). It will sound super!!!! You can upgrade at that point to a new head unit easily for about $300 (alpine CDA-7894 or 7995) but you don't have to. The install will cost you far more than the upgrade so if money is a problem do it yourself. Its time consuming but not difficult. And after completing it you will never think about being a car stereo installer :smile: .

Old 02-03-2003, 10:26 AM
kapolani
2nd Gear
BlueMCS - thanks for the reply.

I have my system finalized and now just waiting to do it. I know a guy that got me JL Audio stuff at cost (Mini Cooper Stealthbox and JL Audio components - TR's)

I'm going to get an Alpine headunit (probably 7894) but I've been looking at Clarion - DXZ935 (very sweet).

I'm going to use the 70 x 4 and run the tweets and mid. I'm going to use the 150 x 2, bridge it and run the sub.

As a sidenote - I was thinking that maybe 8" subs can fit where the 6x9's go. Maybe run two 8's in the back with the stealthbox.